Average prices for glasses in Pattaya

how241

I went looking for new glasses, mostly used when I am driving.  One mall shop quoted me 3,400 for clear and 5,300 for daytime with dark tint. Another shop was 6,500.  In both places I told them I was looking for the lowest price frames. I haven't bought glasses ever in Thailand and before I always had health insurance so I am not familiar with glasses prices.  Are these 'fair' prices.  Anyone know when they can be had for less ?  My prescription is strong in one eye and the other eye is not far from normal. Thanks for any help.

23 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Check out "zenni optical" on the net.

If you have your prescription its easy straight forward and with you in around 14 days.

I was delighted with my progressive lens specs for $80 all in ! 

Thanks.  I will ask if the mall shop will give me my prescription.  It was a free eye test so I don't know if they will. Maybe a tip to the staff will help.

3 minutes ago, how241 said:

What price did you pay ?

over the years  2,000 to 3,500 baht for prescription lenses with coatings,

I don't go for the cheapest frames as I like the lightweight flexible metal ones   mine only last a couple of years because I always manage somehow to scratch the lens or get some sort of chemical or other on them that's not kind to plastic  ( coil cleaner for aircons is very very bad for plastic lenses )

10 minutes ago, johng said:

I still recommend First Optic.

Yes. A very pleasant and helpful man who apparently does not overcharge.

He does my replacement reading/PC lenses (not progressive) for 500-1000B depending on whether I want the anti-reflection treatment or not, and he did some progressive lenses with anti-reflection and anti-blue treatments for a friend for about 5000B. Frames prices vary but did not seem very high when I looked at them. Never actually bought a frame there though as I just reuse my old ones, as did my friend. He said that the quote he got in Europe was 800EUR for the same lenses (that's 32,000B).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, how241 said:

Thanks.  I will ask if the mall shop will give me my prescription.  It was a free eye test so I don't know if they will. Maybe a tip to the staff will help.

Zenni is a mail order - not mall shop.  You just enter you prescription and what you want and they send directly from China to your address here.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, johng said:

Thanks...I see your map link but it's not clear exactly where they are...Coming up 3rd  road, south, do I turn before South Pattaya rd?

4 minutes ago, johng said:
1 hour ago, how241 said:
Thanks...I see your map link but it's not clear exactly where they are...Coming up 3rd  road, south, do I turn before South Pattaya rd?

Soi 17 the road that runs behind Tukcom south Pattaya road....near to the Sophon market.

Thanks...I appreciate all the help.

1 hour ago, scoutman360 said:

I looked through Zenni Optical website. Quite good!  And cheaper than Thailand. Are they based in the U.S.?

The glasses are made in China like most things these days and shipment is directly from there.  Yes it is an American company with international presence.  

Zenni Optical was founded in 2003 by two scientists to answer this question:
Doesn’t everyone deserve to look good while wearing an affordable pair of glasses? Thus Zenni was born in the San Francisco Bay Area

• Like 1

14 hours ago, how241 said:

Almost for sure the eye shop will not give you your prescription. You can go to any hospital to get an eyeglass prescription. Cost about 1,000 baht

Lefty

8 hours ago, Lefty said:

Almost for sure the eye shop will not give you your prescription. You can go to any hospital to get an eyeglass prescription. Cost about 1,000 baht

Lefty

I went to the  Charoen shop at Big-C Extra.  After the exam, I told her I would come back tomorrow...She never asked my name so I wonder if she even bothered to save my prescription, as it has been a few days now.

13 minutes ago, how241 said:

I went to the  Charoen shop at Big-C Extra.  After the exam, I told her I would come back tomorrow...She never asked my name so I wonder if she even bothered to save my prescription,

I always got the idea they weren't much interested in selling glasses.

Just a front for something else.

I'm probably wrong.