Thai police warn public: Be careful what you share - jail time awaits

webfact

Fake news is any news they fit as image damaging of the country, yes, one can think laws in Thailand are written while taking a pooh in the morning before coffee, but we chose to live here because it fits our pockets, so the best thing is ignore, I post nothing on my FB and Instagram profiles, nor I give opinions about politics and/or incidents happened or about to happen in Thailand, I eat everything with a grain of salt and I smile to live another day.

Our laws (Immigration) haven't change that much for the 15 years I'm living here so why I would worry for anything else? Let them be and let them kill each other over a word sent at the wrong time, let them think whatever they want. Many people risk being pinpointed by the Immigration authorities for fools, for writing to much on social media, and I bet even here Thaivisa is being monitored by them. Just ask yourselves, is it worth raging on the internet over things that don't concern you directly? And risk being visited by the authorities? 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that elections were regularly promised (but not kept to) is not 'fake news'?  Hmmmmm....................Pol Col Siriwat Deephor perhaps has not thought "fake news" through?

Although the case he made an example of does need attention!

Afterthought - what about religion? ? ?

So if the elections not held before the 24th February- after the 150 days - which according to some man law enforcement comes in 13th September- that works out his maths ( get a calculator mate) that would it roughly Valentine’s Day - do me - if you’re talking about royal decree that’s extra 90 days - then use your calendar- not made up dates 

Guidelines should be perfectly clear and not opinion based. Ie I’m “their” opinion shouldn’t be shared. What shouldn’t be shared. 

Scenarion.... you didn’t share something went wrong and then you’re arrested for not sharing.....

round and round it goes and nobody knows

36 minutes ago, pattayadon said:

Speaking of fake (faux or fox)....  Can someone tell me what's up with the police uniform "wings"?   Are these guys pilots (yeah right)?  They ALL wear them!

Be careful, because what I'm about to say maybe fake information....... I believe the wings are for passing a parachute jumping course. Whether that involves actually jumping from a plane/helicopter at a height of more than 3 metre  is anyone's guess.

So who decides what is fake news?  All too easy to brand something fake news simply on political or false censorship grounds often to protect those controlling such censorship from unsavoury and criminal activity that should clearly be exposed.  Take the appalling censorship on Facebook and Twitter of Alex Jones on the Infowars site, which I and others may not always agree with, but hey that is a rightful freedom of speech issue of course.  Personally I loathe ALL censorship amongst adults, though free speech that deliberately and directly incites violence and/or exposes non adults to adult material, is an essential, sensible and responsible control of course.  

However we falangs are guests here in Thailand and I am sure like myself we  all overall love living here with  our many Thai freinds too.  So as guests here we of course really must and should comply with the rules of the house.  Whether or not we actually agree with some of those rules is irrelevent, as it is not our country, but of course there should be no harm in expressing constructive criticism sometimes, especially where things could be improved wiht positive changes, especially for the quality of life for the ordinary good Thai people's here.  Remember Governments across the World are there to serve the people and that should never be the other way around.

25 minutes ago, thequietman said:

corruption - nothing

murder - nothing

theft - nothing

traffic violations - nothing

rape - nothing

tax avoidance - nothing

liking a post on FB- 5 years

Kinda lets you know what is a priority here doesn't it ! Sickening really.

There are some people banned from the UK for life for publishing stuff Teresa May doesn't like.

5 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Pol Col Siriwat said that the public should not just share anything they see without thinking about its veracity.

So what he's saying that the Public Can't    But They can Talk/write any Bullshit what they want the Public to Believe,,,, 

Do as I Say ,Not what I Do. 

10 minutes ago, rayw said:

Remember Governments across the World are there to serve the people and that should never be the other way around.

Remember Governments across the World are there to SHOULD serve the people and that should never be the other way around. But some Governments are not, in any way, interested in that concept.

58 minutes ago, pattayadon said:

Speaking of fake (faux or fox)....  Can someone tell me what's up with the police uniform "wings"?   Are these guys pilots (yeah right)?  They ALL wear them!

Yes they all wear them, Police,  military, doctors, nurses, teachers anyone who works in the public service and puts on the white uniform wears parachute wings and the greatest chest of fruit salad That a war hero could only dream of.  My 23 year old neighbour is a professor at the Chiangmai University (yes 23) and he has his parachute wings and never jumped he already has 2 and half rows of ribbons and never done military service.

26 minutes ago, rayw said:

So who decides what is fake news?  All too easy to brand something fake news simply on political or false censorship grounds often to protect those controlling such censorship from unsavoury and criminal activity that should clearly be exposed.  Take the appalling censorship on Facebook and Twitter of Alex Jones on the Infowars site, which I and others may not always agree with, but hey that is a rightful freedom of speech issue of course.  Personally I loathe ALL censorship amongst adults, though free speech that deliberately and directly incites violence and/or exposes non adults to adult material, is an essential, sensible and responsible control of course.  

However we falangs are guests here in Thailand and I am sure like myself we  all overall love living here with  our many Thai freinds too.  So as guests here we of course really must and should comply with the rules of the house.  Whether or not we actually agree with some of those rules is irrelevent, as it is not our country, but of course there should be no harm in expressing constructive criticism sometimes, especially where things could be improved wiht positive changes, especially for the quality of life for the ordinary good Thai people's here.  Remember Governments across the World are there to serve the people and that should never be the other way around.

you are a guest on the world. everyone

remember governments? sounds like an order. some don't like orders

15 minutes to spare?

26 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Remember Governments across the World are there to SHOULD serve the people and that should never be the other way around. But some Governments are not, in any way, interested in that concept.

Indeed and you see that in many Western corrupt Governments these days, particulay in the hypocritical so called homes of democracy nations like the USA and UK, which so often now simply ignore what the majority of the people want and elected them to do.  They are now also practicing the most obnoxious unacceptable, agenda driven, corrupt censorship practices too in mafia style cooperation with some of the big corporates like Google, Facebook and Twitter etc,  Makes many of us ashamed to be a Brit or an American these days !!!  Personally I am very happy to be here retired in Thailand irrespective of a few of the rules we don't necessarily agree with, but for sure accept that we have to comply with and can live with of course. 

50 minutes ago, joebrown said:

Be careful, because what I'm about to say maybe fake information....... I believe the wings are for passing a parachute jumping course. Whether that involves actually jumping from a plane/helicopter at a height of more than 3 metre  is anyone's guess.

I always thought they were given for jumping to conclusions.

38 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

I would say that "MOST" governments fail to serve the people because the politicians are too busy in serving themselves to lucrative pensions and other benefits ready for when it is their turn to retire from politics. This is not "fake news", look at the revolving door of Prime Ministers in Australia. Whose turn will it be after Morrison?

6 hours ago, gunderhill said:

I think they should stuff it right up their jacksy and I'm sharing that with everyone I know and don't know.

You`re not sharing this at all. If you are really intent on sharing why don`t you go on facebook and let everyone you know and don`t know, know exactly how you feel? Thought not.

If the crunch came to the crunch and TV was pushed by the authorities, as far as I am aware, TV does not give a guarantee of anonymity in certain circumstances.  For these reasons I am very cautious what I say and do in the public domain. 

Unquestionably the present regime is the purest form of 'communism' .... This 'warning' is all the proof anybody needs is in this warning....... Thai people warned to prepare to live under the 'Sickle and Hammer' (Communism) if this government 'stays in power'.......

This is only one more of many signs that we have seen in the past 4 years.......

I have 'pity' for the poor Thai's............

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai tech police have warned the public that there are consequences for posting and sharing fake news.

And who determines what is 'fake news' and what is not.  Herein lies that problem for all those who extol the 'authorities' to ban 'fake news'.  Today they ban news you don't agree with, tomorrow they may be banning you.  "Fake news" is a value judgment, not a quantitative fact.  Those in power will eventually use campaigns against "fake news" to completely control the narrative, and to incarcerate opponents.  We're heading for the neo-Dark-Ages boys and girls, and many of you are rooting them onwards because in the short-term it fit's your personal agenda.  Remember histories lessons, e.g., those who began the blood-bath of the French Revolution ended it with their necks exposed to the guillotine's blade.  That's how these things turn out...and very quickly.  Be careful of what you wish for...

Archived