When does the extension of a visa starts?

Following some discussions in the Chiang Mai office, the extension does start when the visa or the other extension ends, BUT (unless I have been scammed) the 90 day reporting starts when one makes the request. I will confirm this with a new topic to see if this is true, a regional quirk, or the law, as it was asserted.

13 minutes ago, JestSetter said:

Following some discussions in the Chiang Mai office, the extension does start when the visa or the other extension ends, BUT (unless I have been scammed) the 90 day reporting starts when one makes the request. I will confirm this with a new topic to see if this is true, a regional quirk, or the law, as it was asserted.

The first 90 day report is due from the date the extension of stay application is done. Only the first extension of stay application counts as as doing a 90 day report.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The first 90 day report is due from the date the extension of stay application is done. Only the first extension of stay application counts as as doing a 90 day report.

Yes, the first one, but let's be precise. "Done" can mean a lot of things. "Handed in" is what you mean. "Done" could mean "approved, given back, ... by immigration".  The day I handed in the paperwork counted as the date that the 1st 90 day reporting started. The extension time started (in my instance), a few weeks later. How contrived can they make this process? No wonder people "fail to report" or are deemed (by the media,...) to be "illegals". not to say that Western processes are any less contrived, btw, but I have no experience with them. So, Joe, as far as you know, this is a Thailand-wide situation?

Edited by JestSetter

11 minutes ago, JestSetter said:

Yes, the first one, but let's be precise. "Done" can mean a lot of things. "Handed in" is what you mean. "Done" could mean "approved, given back, ... by immigration".  The day I handed in the paperwork counted as the date that the 1st 90 day reporting started. The extension time started (in my instance), a few weeks later. How contrived can they make this process? No wonder people "fail to report" or are deemed (by the media,...) to be "illegals". not to say that Western processes are any less contrived, btw, but I have no experience with them. So, Joe, as far as you know, this is a Thailand-wide situation?

Actually that's one of the few things where Thai law is very clear, you have to report if you are in the country for more than ninety days, this in itself is independent from any visa or extension dates

If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division, in writing, concerning his place of stay, as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office, the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-sections-34-39/

Edited by jackdd

12 minutes ago, JestSetter said:

Yes, the first one, but let's be precise. "Done" can mean a lot of things. "Handed in" is what you mean. "Done" could mean "approved, given back, ... by immigration".  The day I handed in the paperwork counted as the date that the 1st 90 day reporting started.

Done means your application was accepted and the 1900 baht fee is paid.

In your case you didn't get the extension stamp until the end of the under consideration period.

You report was due on Sept 5th looking at your stamps posted in another topci.

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Actually that's one of the few things where Thai law is very clear, you have to report if you are in the country for more than ninety days, this in itself is independent from any visa or extension dates

http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-sections-34-39/

I am not saying that the 90 day reporting is contrived per se, but how the date is set (when) versus the start of the date of the start of the extension starts is contrived. They could EASILY make it so these 2 coincide. They could reduce the incidents. This invite errors. But, let's be honest, there are plenty of people whose palms are greased. Laws are sometimes flawed.

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

But the first extension of stay application counts as a doing a 90 day report. 

"5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days."

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/sv_90day

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But the first extension of stay application counts as a doing a 90 day report. 

"5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days."

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/sv_90day

It seems they wanted to save themself some work.

I wonder if this also applies to people (married to a Thai) who come on a tourist visa and after 60 days apply for a 60 day extension to visit their wife.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Done means your application was accepted and the 1900 baht fee is paid.

In your case you didn't get the extension stamp until the end of the under consideration period.

You report was due on Sept 5th looking at your stamps posted in another topci.

Well, this is not what happened in my case, if I read you correctly. My application was accepted sometimes before or on my July 23 meeting. (Not likely on July 23) I paid the fee when I handed in the documents on June 8. I knew of the acceptance of the application when I came to the meeting on July 23. So, "done" does not mean BOTH that the application was accepted and the fee was paid (at the same time). Of course, the fee was paid when the meeting took place and I learned I was approved. I (everyone) pay(s) the fee at the time I (they) hand in the documents. No? It is a non-refundable process. Again, the start of the my 90 days reporting is 22 days before the start of my extension. My extension is -in effect- one year and 22 days long, in that respect, which is odd, I think. No?

Edited by JestSetter

6 minutes ago, JestSetter said:

Well, this is not what happened in my case, if I read you correctly. My application was accepted sometimes before or on my July 23 meeting. (Not likely on July 23) I paid the fee when I handed in the documents on June 8.

I know that you submitted your application on June 8th, it was then accepted and the fee paid on that date due to the date the under consideration stamp was done.

If your application had not been accepted and the fee paid you would not of gotten the stamp.

image.png.fb1d904f8b5e50627b87c935f4520338.png

16 minutes ago, JestSetter said:

I knew of the acceptance of the application when I came to the meeting on July 23. So, "done" does not mean BOTH that the application was accepted and the fee was paid (at the same time).

That was the date you knew the application was approved.

I know exactly how the extensions are done since I have done 11 of them based upon marriage.

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I know that you submitted your application on June 8th, it was then accepted and the fee paid on that date due to the date the under consideration stamp was done.

If your application had not been accepted and the fee paid you would not of gotten the stamp.

I know exactly how the extensions are done since I have done 11 of them based upon marriage.

"Accepted" is better than "done", but maybe neither are adequate. We are talking about two items: an application and the granting of an extension that this application was about. "Accepted" has too many meanings perhaps like "done". They took it in. I handed it in. It was approved at a later time. Probably not on July 23. Between June 8 and July 23, it was "accepted" as in  "approved". The extension was not granted on June 8. Maybe it was, if their pile is not as big as it is or the process is not as daunting, as my name is, apart from one missed step on my part (caused by a tacit rule, which I would like to consider their mistake) in a 10 year time is as good as it gets. If she deemed it necessary to use 1 month and a half to decide, that is her prerogative. Not sure what they do. Maybe they require that time to get to my file (any file). In any case, my extension could have been approved on the last day (July 23). The splitting hair process is unnecessarily contrived, but --as expressed-- I believe it is done on purpose. Perhaps they are unaware that they are the cause of the issues, as often some people have a tough time with reality and accepting blame and people do not like to raise issues (as a result) I am not sure if it is worse here than another place, but bureaucrats with power like Imm. officers have that reputation (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Dolls_(film)). Beside, as I have stated, they don't make the laws. They apply them. It looks some also "benefit" from them (or could have benefited, as it was in my case), which could explain why ambiguities and bad translations endure. The title of the 90 days form is : "Form for alien to notify of staying LONGER than 90 days". What the hell? Is this some kind of subliminal way to trip people? Why the word LONGER? It is unnecessary and problematic. I applaud them for giving us some leeway and many ways to report. What danger was it for them to give me an extra 15 days to report, hey? Especially considering I HAD TO SHOW up physically on July 23. What insurance do they have that I am in XYZ place when I am doing an online report, if I happen to know some friends in another city, hey? They could also relax reporting (bi-annual, annual,...) for people who are recognized as being low security (that is one of the reasons of these) or who feel safe and secure in Thailand (if that is their other concerns). Pattaya is not Chiang Rai. In any case, change takes time. Did I digress?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I was not putting in doubt your ability and knowledge about this, but I am trying to explain what took place when I did it. I am trying to ascertain whether or not there is something odd that took place. As you know, offices and people (esp. in Thailand) are hardly predictable. With contrived laws and processes like these maybe they are tripping each other. However, as I have been stating, as proven by posts after posts on TV trying to clarify certain processes, some might welcome the ambiguities that the laws and the processes create.Wink, wink!

31 minutes ago, JestSetter said:

They took it in. I handed it in. It was approved at a later time. Probably not on July 23. Between June 8 and July 23, it was "accepted" as in  "approved". The extension was not granted on June 8. Maybe it was, if their pile is not as big as it is or the process is not as daunting, as my name is, apart from one missed step on my part (caused by a tacit rule, which I would like to consider their mistake) in a 10 year time is as good as it gets. If she deemed it necessary to use 1 month and a half to decide, that is her prerogative. Not sure what they do.

After the application was accepted it was sent to immigration division 5 that the Chiang Mai office is under for approval. It appears your extension was approved by them on 16/7/18 looking at the stamp just below your extension stamp.

image.png.57730236d6009cb1b3d87e32a3c09df1.png

On 9/11/2018 at 6:46 PM, ubonjoe said:

After the application was accepted it was sent to immigration division 5 that the Chiang Mai office is under for approval. It appears your extension was approved by them on 16/7/18 looking at the stamp just below your extension stamp.

image.png.57730236d6009cb1b3d87e32a3c09df1.png

Oh! Interesting! So, if anything, this is when the extension could --dare I say "should"-- start. Since it took them a long time to process or investigate the request, it was after my visa expired, which in essence made the time between the end of my visa and that date a time where I was not in a grey zone, covered by the under consideration period. It makes sense --and it is fair-- to decide to start the extension when the visa ended. But, to construe the June 8 when I handed in as the beginning of the 90 day reporting is contrived. As I stated, they could simplify matters and make the start of the extension coincide with the start of the 90 day reporting. Sure, they could claim that the paper work was handed in on June 8 and this does constitute a reporting period. They could just as well have set that date at a later time esp. considering that I showed up in person after. So, it seems that everyone must have their reporting date (1st reporting) be a different date that the start of the extension, since they like to have people show up 1 month 1/2 before an extension/visa expires. Is this so?

Could you please remind me of the procedure (timewise) of doing a reporting by mail? What is the earliest it can be done and what is the last day it can be done (received by them, I guess).