Proposed new big bike licence

phitsanulokjohn

Hi all

Sorry can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for on the net,so any imput would be helpful.

I hold Thai licence's for both bike and car.I've also held  full Uk bike and car licence's for over 40 years.

I never had to take a car test to obtain my Thai licence here,they just looked at my uk licence and issued it to me within an hour.

Will the same apply for obtaining a big bike licence or will I have to take a test?

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

When it comes into force i believe it will be for all new riders taking their test. Riders who already have the normal license will be exempt. So i was told.

Well yeah that make sense we will just have to keep clear still of the others out there. ?

It is still in the heads of the lunatics at the moment, nothing concrete. My son says that he keeps hearing that it is going to be for 400CC and over, but again, no news on whether licences will be grandfathered or new tests required - Who knows, it might all just blow away as many thing here seem to do.

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

Hot air! 

The only reason a big bike license will be implemented is if there is a big fee as well. Money will drive this decision, like most. 

People already pay more for a big bike they go c.c. I thought.

13 hours ago, moose7117 said:

we will just have to wait and see if it gets passed and what the conditions are, no point speculating because i am sure they will come up with something completely ridiculous.

I guess you'll be right but just a better practical test would be good and restricting c.c. rating of who can ride to age.

18 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

When it comes into force i believe it will be for all new riders taking their test. Riders who already have the normal license will be exempt. So i was told.

This is what happened in Australia when changes were made.

The most sensible option.

Thank you all for your replies.Yes I had also heard it was to accomodate 400cc and above.This all came about when the 18 year old lad was decapitated after crashing his Honda Cbr 650 at a supposed 200km per hour in Bangkok a few weeks ago.

I'm all for biking education,but after holding my licence for so long,I'd feel pretty insulted having to take another test,but if that's the way the proposal ends up then so be it.

1 hour ago, Rhys said:

YET still.. does not do one thing for safety...regardless of the cc.

Agree somewhat regards to Thailand, hate seeing kids lying in the road with bike on the side nearby.

I wouldn't think Thai proposals will do any good or follow UK's lead I couldn't see happening here.

A wave 110 cc bike is too fast already for a 16 year old IMO.

Archived