Warning over child addiction to eSports

webfact

Warning over child addiction to eSports

By The Nation

0f563e341476ac9e4d29fc1386d25161.jpeg

A gamer at the ICBC (Asia) e-Sports and Music Festival Hong Kong 2018 plays a video game, Hong Kong, China, 24 August 2018. // EPA-EFE PHOTO

Mental health department urges govt to rethink decision to recognise online gaming

THE MOVE to officially recognise eSports could lead to children becoming addicted to online games, health experts warn.

Mental Health Department adviser Dr Yongyud Wongpiromsarn said the promotion of eSports would likely do more harm than good. 

“We have already established a panel to raise this issue at the National Health Assembly forum later this year,” he said. 

Yongyud hoped that relevant authorities, including political office holders, would review the Sports Authority of Thailand’s decision in 2017 to recognise eSports as a form of sport. 

“We are worried that in the end more Thai children will become addicted to games,” Yongyud said. 

He said most countries in the world had not treated online games as sports and pointed out that although eSports made a presence at the 2018 Asian Games, it was there just as a demonstration game. 

A study in the United States revealed recently that just one in 1 million online-gamers could become a professional in the field, he said. “Dozens of thousands, meanwhile, have become game addicts,” he said. 

In Thailand, the Institute of Child and Adolescent Mental Health reported that as many as 60 children had sought treatments for game addiction in recent months. 

“The number of game addicts has risen by one-fold since eSports has become recognised as a form of sport,” Yongyud said. 

He said his concern was shared by people working for the protection of children. 

Some entrepreneurs promoted eSports by claiming that players’ skills could build a future career, and some even offered to host eSports competitions for schools. 

“In France, students can’t even play with cellphones in school compounds,” Yongyud said. In Thailand, at least eight universities offer courses related to eSports. 

Teerarat Pantawee, who heads the National Health Assembly’s panel on children and media, told a recent forum that eSports had grown in popularity partly because there were many official eSports contests and promotions.

Excessive exposure

“Thailand’s eSports industry is now worth more than Bt10 billion. It has also been growing at the rate of 12 per cent per annum,” she said.

According to the 2018 DQ Impact Report, which examines the “precarious status of children’s exposure to cyber-risks worldwide”, Thai children spend 35 hours a week online. Of all children using the Internet in Thailand, more than 50 per cent go online to play games.

Teerarat said many children were now negotiating for more online game-playing time by arguing with their parents that their games are a sport.

But “game addiction causes physical, mental and brain problems”, she warned.

“Children’s excessive exposure to such media is not good for developing their intellectual and emotional quotients,” Teerarat emphasised. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30354154

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-11

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...But “game addiction causes physical, mental and brain problems”, she warned...

...Children’s excessive exposure to such media is not good for developing their intellectual and emotional quotients,” Teerarat emphasised. ..."

E-Sports?

Are you kidding me?

How many calories do kids burn off playing E-Sports?

If you want to have gamer competitions, then fine. However, to call it a "sport" is an abomination. 

Let the kids play, but also introduce a mandatory break where the (getting-ever-fatter) kids have to go run around for half an hour...

chess is a sport too...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

They ought to ban the use of mobile phones  here until you are 18 years old, everyday I see  literally babies strapped in front of one as "child  support", they breed  a nation of  mind dead retards. Fat and lazy  kids is what I see.

Get them out running around instead and heaven forbid actually sit and play with them.

I remember my mother saying those words when I was young. Well she used the word "television" instead of mobile phones.

Anyway, I agree with you entirely. They use mobiles and tablets as child support. I have seen in restaurants where a family with 2 kids all sit and stare at their own phones. No talking, no interactions.

The art of conversation will die too.

Maybe they should mix phone games with real sport. Do a real 100 meter dash against a character on the phone. Any programmers out there? Make the character programmable so that the user wins sometimes.

Nothing new.

Years ago was on a ferry travelling to work with another guy from the company. The ferry restaurant had a line of the original 'space invader' machines along the wall, all switched off till we left port. We were halfway through a really good meal when they opened the grill and switched them on. The other guy hadn't taken his eyes off them since we sat down to eat. he jumped up leaving half his meal on the table and spent the the rest of the crossing feeding coins into one machine to get his 'highest score'  yet.

Total addiction. Wouldn't go into a pub at night for a beer unless it had 'space invader' machines.

Must have been around the early 80's I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Nothing new.

Years ago was on a ferry travelling to work with another guy from the company. The ferry restaurant had a line of the original 'space invader' machines along the wall, all switched off till we left port. We were halfway through a really good meal when they opened the grill and switched them on. The other guy hadn't taken his eyes off them since we sat down to eat. he jumped up leaving half his meal on the table and spent the the rest of the crossing feeding coins into one machine to get his 'highest score'  yet.

Total addiction. Wouldn't go into a pub at night for a beer unless it had 'space invader' machines.

Must have been around the early 80's I think.

Late  70's  they had one in the chip shop, you coudln't get in there to buy chips it was  full of kids queued up out the door.

could lead to children becoming addicted to online games

They mean even more addicted. It's computer games when you're a little kd and social media when you graduate to being a grown-up kid.

Edited by Krataiboy

50 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I understand playing video gamed, but watching? Strange days.

Its similar to people watching soccer, the olympics, or any other sport.

The fun you get for cheering for your favorite team and seeing 22 guys running after a soccer ball is similar to watching the best e-sports gamers playing a game and cheering for them.

6 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Its similar to people watching soccer, the olympics, or any other sport.

The fun you get for cheering for your favorite team and seeing 22 guys running after a soccer ball is similar to watching the best e-sports gamers playing a game and cheering for them.

Right, never understood the appeal of those either. Sports shouldn't be a spectator ...err.. sport.

• Like 1

After the boat races yesterday they had drone races and there was a 10 year old Thai kid beating professional jet pilots.  It was fun to watch.  They pilot them with what looks like VR headgear.  Seems to me the next war could be waged by 10 to 15 year old kids.  Would save money.  You could pay them a lot less than an adult. 

A British teenager has won $250,000 after placing first in the inaugural World Drone Prix in Dubai. 15-year-old Luke Bannister piloted his drone to victory along an outdoor track, using a camera mounted on its front to steer the craft through a series of illuminated hoops from a first-person viewpoint, and beating out competition from 150 other teams in the process.

https://youtu.be/0wrx86oeBn4

drone.jpg

Maybe...just maybe...take some time out of your busy schedule, watching soap-operas or game shows for retards and drinking and eating and spend it with your kids!

Maybe challenge them intellectually and...oh...wait...never mind!

I forgot where I am , for a second!

:coffee1:

3 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Maybe...just maybe...take some time out of your busy schedule, watching soap-operas or game shows for retards and drinking and eating and spend it with your kids!

Maybe challenge them intellectually and...oh...wait...never mind!

I forgot where I am , for a second!

:coffee1:

I think you are in the UK.

In Thailand.  The kids are in school from 7AM to 6PM six days a week.(the ones who live next to and across from me)  Getting home they do homework and then sleep.  On Sunday we go to dinner with Granny.  

Edited by marcusarelus

27 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Cricket?

I agree.  I don't know what the world is coming to.  Think about boxing where you can beat the crap out of the other fellow.  And American and Australian rules football where a concussion is a daily occurrence. Or hockey where you can incapacitate your opponent with a stick at high speed on ice and gentle sports like lacrosse and Biathlon where you can practice killing things on skis.  Things were better when I was a kid.  We didn't wear no pansy helmets while playing hockey and the goalie had some spunk and didn't need no face mask (or teeth).  Football was for men and breaking your opponents head or face was all in the days fun.  Racing cars didn't need no seat belts or roll bars or fuel cells we had guts.   

Edited by marcusarelus

20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I think you are in the UK.

In Thailand.  The kids are in school from 7AM to 6PM six days a week.(the ones who live next to and across from me)  Getting home they do homework and then sleep.  On Sunday we go to dinner with Granny.  

Then why is anyone afraid of an addiction to eSports!

Shouldn't be a problem then!