Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

Could be an Australian thing?

"Knight’s racist Williams cartoon is also embarrassingly illustrative of Australia’s backward attitudes toward race more generally, its “casual” racism. Though seen in many parts of the world as a progressive nation, Australia still has a serious problem—a “festering sore”—when it comes to race. Ostensibly proud of its “multiculturalism,” Australia’s racism is often of the dog-whistle variety, whether that’s the aforementioned fearmongering about Melbourne’s African youths, the reporting of a young black woman’s death, or the treatment of Indigenous Australians. (In fact, the term dog-whistle politics actually originated in Australia.) "

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/mark-knight-australian-cartoon-serena-williams-sexist-racist.html

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What a sickening PC ramble. The author seems to find fault with any kind of criticism aimed at blacks. The Australian media in general has the balls to report what other international leftist PC publications don't or won't.

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What a sickening PC ramble. The author seems to find fault with any kind of criticism aimed at blacks. The Australian media in general has the balls to report what other international leftist PC publications don't or won't.

Denying Australia has issues with racism is right wing PC

BS

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm with J.K. Rowling on this one...

Author J.K. Rowling wrote on Twitter: “Well done on reducing one of the greatest sportswomen alive to racist and sexist tropes and turning a second great sportswoman into a faceless prop.”

Please explain what is racist about that cartoon. If exaggerating Serenas features is racist, then that applies to just about every cartoon of a US president, including Obama, as well as both black and white sports personalities. Serena did throw a tantrum, no denying it, and that's what the cartoonist has clearly depicted. The level of PC outrage is bordering on muslim hysteria re the cartoon of mohammed.

2 hours ago, brucec64 said:

Except that the coach admitted he was coaching - https://wwos.nine.com.au/tennis/serena-williams-coach-patrick-mouratoglu-admits-coaching-from-stands-us-open/f0a3e048-9017-489d-b8e0-e3e446b6cb23. 

But don't let the truth get in the way of your faux-outrage.

I'm not outraged at all. It seems to be everyone else that's outraged, over virtually nothing.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Williams is a bad loser. She was quite ungracious when she lost to Stosur in another US Open years ago.

The umpire did his job according to the rules. Now she is trying to turn it into a conversation about equality and racism, instead of acknowledging she was wrong.

The cartoon is simply depicting her tantrum. It's always a shock to bad sports when they get pulled up for bad behaviour. I can still remember the look on McEnroe's face when he was disqualified in an Australian Open.

My take on Williams is that she overplayed her hand. The throwing of a tantrum these days is a calculated effort by a mature player to disrupt play and cause the younger relatively inexperienced player to lose concentration. A last desperate throw of the dice. It didn't work.

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

My take on Williams is that she overplayed her hand. The throwing of a tantrum these days is a calculated effort by a mature player to disrupt play and cause the younger relatively inexperienced player to lose concentration. A last desperate throw of the dice. It didn't work.

I think you are spot on, an ugly tactic if you ask me, and a bad example for all young generations who dream to be sport champions.

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The Madness has reached Down Under...so much for the bold, brash children of Convicts that wrenched a savage land into civilization. Its over, they will ban guns next!

You are not funny. UK are you..Take a look at Your own circus tent

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

Personally Ihink the cartoon was hilarious and was the caricature of what we saw on the court.

Williams was a disgrace to her sport and tried to turn her defeat and tantrums in to a woman thing.

Bad temper happens that's sport with those pesky refs. Bring McEnroe back really get the party started

Knights cartoon was neither racist or offensive. He often exaggerates features white and black, that’s what cartoonists do. The capture of the dummy on the floor summed up her behaviour.
She ruined what should of been the greatest day in Osaka’s life by reducing her to tears of sadness , not joy at the end. The plaudits at the end were just her embarrassment at her behaviour and trying to get some credibility back.
And it was all sparked by......the umpire doing his job. Coaches are not allowed to coach.
I await for the next male player to be docked games/matches any time soon.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

50 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm with J.K. Rowling on this one...

Author J.K. Rowling wrote on Twitter: “Well done on reducing one of the greatest sportswomen alive to racist and sexist tropes and turning a second great sportswoman into a faceless prop.”

Oh. please. Were was your outrage when he drew Nick Kygrios last week...

Very few sportspeople know when to retire gracefully.  Which is what Williams needs to do. 

I am not a Man Utd fan, but the way Sir Alex Ferguson retired when he was at the top of his trade was classy. (Alas, the team he left behind were already well over the hill!)

6 minutes ago, blazes said:

Very few sportspeople know when to retire gracefully.  Which is what Williams needs to do. 

I am not a Man Utd fan, but the way Sir Alex Ferguson retired when he was at the top of his trade was classy. (Alas, the team he left behind were already well over the hill!)

I’m not sure Serena needs to retire yet, she is still a top player. But she needs to accept she is not as invincible as she once was. 

Venus on the other hand .........

5 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Have you heard of whats called a protected class?     Surely you learned about it in your civics course in school.

"U.S. federal law protects individuals from discrimination or harassment based on the following nine protected classes: sex, race, age, disability, color, creed, national origin, religion, or genetic information (added in 2008). Many state laws also give certain protected groups special protection against harassment and discrimination, as do many employer policies. Although it is not required by federal law, employer policies may also protect employees from harassment or discrimination based on marital status or sexual orientation.[1] The following characteristics are "protected" by United States federal anti-discrimination law:"

There is no harassment in the cartoon.

Blacks per se are not a "protected class".  Do you consider blacks incapable of standing up for themselves?

Do you consider race/color to include whites? It seems that you can say almost anything about them without the convective outrage sprouting from the SJWs.

I hope he draws an Obama cartoon next. As I said originally, the many caricatures of white people go unremarked.

10 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

There is no harassment in the cartoon.

Blacks per se are not a "protected class".  Do you consider blacks incapable of standing up for themselves?

Do you consider race/color to include whites? It seems that you can say almost anything about them without the convective outrage sprouting from the SJWs.

I hope he draws an Obama cartoon next. As I said originally, the many caricatures of white people go unremarked.

I didn't refer to the cartoon.

I merely implied race is one of the 9 protected  USA  Federal  classes.   Do you disagree with my contention here? I don't know who is or isn't offended by a cartoon.     I'm not at offended.

I'll bet one baht  baht former President Obama would not be offended by any caricature of him as long as it wasn't something sexual as in a photoshop kind of thing.

Good luck.    

Archived