Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

This isn’t the first, or even second time Australia has caught the world’s attention for mistaking grotesque racism for wacky hijinks or fair satire. All we can do now is wait for this to pass and brace ourselves for the inevitability that the world will some day discover the truly staggering number who do blackface for fun or profit in this country.

Since the publication of the sketch, The National Association of Black Journalists has issued a statement describing the image as 'repugnant' on many levels.

'Repugnant, racist': News Corp cartoon on Serena Williams condemned

The Guardian

Google "world reacts serena cartoon"

I would much rather be an irreverent fun loving Australian than an uptight, humourless American.

I am neither but completely identify with Aussies. Not so much Americans.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You do know that aborigines represent just over 3% of the population? There are aboriginal TV presenters as well as MP's.

Umm why single out Aboriginals? There are many other dark skinned people with no representation...

Amazing how easily you spew out the only 3% Aboriginal statement, when actually they were 100% of Australians originally - what, or more likely who changed that?

10 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Umm why single out Aboriginals? There are many other dark skinned people with no representation...

Amazing how easily you spew out the only 3% Aboriginal statement, when actually they were 100% of Australians originally - what, or more likely who changed that?

What other dark skinned people with no representation? If you can qualify for a position you compete for it the same as everyone else, or would you like to see token aboriginals in high end positions? Are you seriously going to drag up what happened over 200 years ago? Native Americans were also 100% of the population, as were the Incas, Aztecs etc, so what point are you trying to make, besides having an anti Aussie agenda?

Just now, giddyup said:

What other dark skinned people with no representation? If you can qualify for a position you compete for it the same as everyone else, or would you like to see token aboriginals in high end positions? Are you seriously going to drag up what happened over 200 years ago? Native Americans were also 100% of the population, as were the Incas, Aztecs etc, so what point are you trying to make, besides an anti Aussie agenda?

My point is Australians are historically racist, check out 1970s and 1980s music and movies for a start. Kevin Bloody Wilson is a real cracker...

A white man drawing a cartoon of this nature is not only in poor taste, it also makes a statement about current Australians attitude to dark skinned people, something the rest of the world has moved on with. That the papers, and bigots worldwide can support this is testament to the fact that Australians are, as a group racists. That does not mean everyone is, only the majority ?

And once again you bring the Aboriginals into this. How do you even know what happened to them when schools don't teach about that subject in history, anywhere in the world?

12 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

My point is Australians are historically racist, check out 1970s and 1980s music and movies for a start. Kevin Bloody Wilson is a real cracker...

A white man drawing a cartoon of this nature is not only in poor taste, it also makes a statement about current Australians attitude to dark skinned people, something the rest of the world has moved on with. That the papers, and bigots worldwide can support this is testament to the fact that Australians are, as a group racists. That does not mean everyone is, only the majority ?

And once again you bring the Aboriginals into this. How do you even know what happened to them when schools don't teach about that subject in history, anywhere in the world?

You obviously know nothing about Australia and the attempts to better the health and lives of aboriginals, you are just repeating the same old bigoted rhetoric you've heard other people repeat. You don't know what schools teach about Australian history and the effect it had on Aboriginals. You also don't know that I worked on Aboriginal reserves for many years, so have a fair inkling about the aboriginal situation. Tell me, what country do you come from that has no skeletons in it's closet. Pointless to even discuss the subject with someone like you whose mind is so closed. Australian music racist, are you serious? Try listening to Midnight Oil.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You obviously know nothing about Australia and the attempts to better the health and lives of aboriginals, you are just repeating the same old bigoted rhetoric you've heard other people repeat.

There's the core of it, many of these posters who cry "Australian racism" display no knowledge of the issue, but are simply acting as megaphones for stuff they have absorbed from some SJW blog, or Twitter account, most likely.

The chattering buzz of the ideologically possessed, as annoying as a Thai pick-up truck advertising cheap wooden brooms.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Sorry to correct you, there is nothing here about right of left.

Normal people can understand that people can have different opinions.

Normal people are in favour of freedom of expression, normal people see nothing wrong with satire.

As i pointed out in a previous post, majority of  "Guardian" readers don't see racism in the cartoon.

Although I was replying to the person who stated that people who feel that the cartoon wasnt racist , must be mentally ill , that is common among some people , they cannot accept that other people may have differing opinions

1 hour ago, ParadiseLost said:

As white as you can get in a supposed 1st world democracy...

image.png.37f0da49110c9a43a1a9845aa5a6b722.png

In the "white nation" Norway we have people from immigrant families in the government.  I believe originally from India and Pakistan . But I have not seen a black face among them yet .   

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

My gf back in the States is black.  She voted for Trump. I have a black kid. We all thought the cartoon was funny. I think there are a lot of Americans that play the race card when it's a duece and not an ace.

It's a cartoon. 

There are cartoons and cartoons. However, as for the comment "there are a lot of....that play the race card when its a deuce and not an ace", well maybe, but in this particular case Williams played the card hoping the card might turn into an ace while the game was still on. The tantrum was out and out bullying in response to her disruptive tactics which had been called out according to the rules. Full support to the International Tennis Federation (ITF) from me.

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

When Cecily said: "When I see a spade I call it a spade", Gwendolen replied: "I am glad to say that I have never seen a spade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different." [The Importance of Being Earnest]

Damn.  You see how stupid I am.  All this time I thought it was the importance of being honest. :cheesy:

1 hour ago, balo said:

In the "white nation" Norway we have people from immigrant families in the government.  I believe originally from India and Pakistan . But I have not seen a black face among them yet .   

I don't think they like the cold weather.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Although I was replying to the person who stated that people who feel that the cartoon wasnt racist , must be mentally ill , that is common among some people , they cannot accept that other people may have differing opinions

Fair enough, my point was that every political opinion have their fair share of obtuse and intolerant people.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

There are cartoons and cartoons. However, as for the comment "there are a lot of....that play the race card when its a deuce and not an ace", well maybe, but in this particular case Williams played the card hoping the card might turn into an ace while the game was still on. The tantrum was out and out bullying in response to her disruptive tactics which had been called out according to the rules. Full support to the International Tennis Federation (ITF) from me.

I think most people would agree with you.  No excuse for the tantrum.  But I think this thread is about a racist cartoon.  It's a racist cartoon and the Aussies don't want to admit it.  If they want to publish a racist cartoon it's OK by me but admit what it is and get over it.  Australia doesn't have many blacks I don't see how racism will ever be much of a problem there.  If they want to be racist who cares?  America has about as many Eskimos as Australia has blacks.  And the average Aussie knows as much about blacks as the average American knows about Eskimos.  Aussies don't know anything about racism.  I'd give them a pass on this one. 

I mistakenly said anyone who didn't think it was a racist cartoon was a little off.  I'm sorry about that.  I should have said anyone who knows anything about black people or racism would be a bit off not to think the cartoon was racist.  The Aussies don't know any better and can't be held to the same standard as an American or any person who has a significant amount of experience with black people. 

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Is this the world-wide condemnation you are talking about?

CNN, that bastion of Truth is part of it. Baying dogs of PC. 

Know you Ozzie's know how Trump supporters feel.

24 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

America has about as many Eskimos as Australia has blacks.  And the average Aussie knows as much about blacks as the average American knows about Eskimos.  

How dare you use that term. They are called Native Alaskans, not that name that you use which was thrown on them by paternalistic evil white people who stole their land. I think you owe Native Aaskans an apology. 

Bigoted and racist.

39 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

How dare you use that term. They are called Native Alaskans, not that name that you use which was thrown on them by paternalistic evil white people who stole their land. I think you owe Native Aaskans an apology. 

Bigoted and racist.

I didn't know.  Sorry.  America does not have many Eskimos how am I supposed to know about them?  Same as Australians with blacks.  Give us a break!

One thing the non-Australians on this thread seem unaware of is that Australia has a larger proportion (some 30%) of citizens born in other countries than has any other 'Western' country, including even Canada and even more so Usofa. As a result it has one of the highest population growth rates of any 'Western' country.

The main sources of immigration to Oz - also proportionately still the highest in the Western world - are, in order, China, UK, India, NZ, Philippines, Vietnam ... And all living pretty cheerfully together in a prosperous economy that hasn't had a recession for a record-shattering 27 years.

Of course Oz has its share of morons, ignoramuses, & racists, like every other country, but even the Asian governments which are our neighbours and are not our natural cultural friends have long acknowledged that Oz is a hugely-successful multicultural nation. Long may it remain so.

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I didn't know.  Sorry.  America does not have many Eskimos how am I supposed to know about them?  Same as Australians with blacks.  Give us a break!

Don't call any of them Eskimos -- to the people of the far north of Canada and Greenland that is a pejorative word which has not been used in knowledgeable circles, that is, not racists or chavs,  for decades.

It's like assuming all Asian people are Chinese and calling them all .. , well, I won't use the word, but you know what it is. They are to be called Inuit, or by a more precise tribal description.

Check your privilege.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I mistakenly said anyone who didn't think it was a racist cartoon was a little off.  I'm sorry about that.  I should have said anyone who knows anything about black people or racism would be a bit off not to think the cartoon was racist.  The Aussies don't know any better and can't be held to the same standard as an American or any person who has a significant amount of experience with black people. 

Your comments really make no sense and reek of trolling. "An American who has a significant amount of experience with black people", who is that exactly, a cop who works in Harlem, a prison officer, a jazz musician, who? And why wouldn't an Aussie who works on an Aboriginal reserve as a teacher, nurse, counsellor have experience, or in inner city Redfern. You obviously have some kind of hang-up about Aussies and I think that dislike is clouding your judgement. In fact I would accuse you of racial profiling.

3 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Don't call any of them Eskimos -- to the people of the far north of Canada and Greenland that is a pejorative word which has not been used in knowledgeable circles, that is, not racists or chavs,  for decades.

It's like assuming all Asian people are Chinese and calling them all .. , well, I won't use the word, but you know what it is. They are to be called Inuit, or by a more precise tribal description.

Check your privilege.

Check you local Eskimo.  Many Native Alaskans still refer to themselves as Eskimos, in part because the word Inuit isn't part of the Yupik languages of Alaska and Siberia. US census bureau still uses the term Eskimo.  In 1960, categories for Aleut and Eskimo were added in Alaska only. Since 2000, the category has grouped both of these together as “American Indian or Alaska Native,” and the census form provides a blank space to specify a tribe.

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Your comments really make no sense and reek of trolling. "An American who has a significant amount of experience with black people", who is that exactly, a cop who works in Harlem, a prison officer, a jazz musician, who? And why wouldn't an Aussie who works on an Aboriginal reserve as a teacher, nurse, counsellor have experience, or in inner city Redfern. You obviously have some kind of hang-up about Aussies and I think that dislike is clouding your judgement. In fact I would accuse you of racial profiling.

I lived with black people from the day I came home from the hospital.  I went to grade school, HS with black people and in college and the Army had a black roommates.

I have a good idea what American blacks think racism is.   

Australian Aboriginals are not like American blacks.  American blacks were slaves and that changed the life experience of both black and white Americans. 

Archived