Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Luke Pearson, the founder of Aboriginal media company IndigenousX, said the controversy was the latest example of an Australian media organisation being “aggressively racist and then pretend[ing] they don’t understand why people are calling them racist”

Its not a case of people "pretending " not to understand .

They DO understand why some people call it racist , but they disagree as to whether its racist or not  

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, Thailand said:

Personally Ihink the cartoon was hilarious and was the caricature of what we saw on the court.

Williams was a disgrace to her sport and tried to turn her defeat and tantrums in to a woman thing.

I haven't seen the cartoon, but everyday vile cartoons are posted of other people and no one jumps up and down about them. Seems like reverse racism to me, but that's the insane world we live in.

Anyway, well done Oz for being NOT PC and poking fun at someone that apparently thinks she's special for being able to hit a ball. My heroes do real things, like saving lives.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Why do you keep quoting JK Rowling, like she is some kind of authority on racism? Guaranteed she lives in a neighbourhood where a black face is never seen.

She is leading the global charge against Australian racism.  For an authority on racism I'd look to " Luke Pearson, the founder of Aboriginal media company IndigenousX, said the controversy was the latest example of an Australian media organisation being “aggressively racist and then pretend[ing] they don’t understand why people are calling them racist"

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I haven't seen the cartoon, but everyday vile cartoons are posted of other people and no one jumps up and down about them. Seems like reverse racism to me, but that's the insane world we live in.

Anyway, well done Oz for being NOT PC and poking fun at someone that apparently thinks she's special for being able to hit a ball. My heroes do real things, like saving lives.

Now you have seen the cartoon.  Can you see that all reasonable people would find it racist?

serena-cartoon.jpg

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They DO understand why some people call it racist , but they disagree as to whether its racist or not  

Taken to extreme interpretation, all humour is racist or bigoted. If the antis win, we'll be living in a dark, humourless world where laughter is a crime.

BTW, Monty Python, which was/ is loved by gazillions of people, could be very racist, and would be banned if they made it now.

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

She is leading the global charge against Australian racism.  For an authority on racism I'd look to " Luke Pearson, the founder of Aboriginal media company IndigenousX, said the controversy was the latest example of an Australian media organisation being “aggressively racist and then pretend[ing] they don’t understand why people are calling them racist"

You keep repeating the same mantra, "global charge against Australian racism", what global charge? You are clutching at straws to try and reinforce your PC agenda, and failing miserably. Quit while you are behind. BTW, Luke Pearson is whiter than me.

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

She is leading the global charge against Australian racism.

Have you ever visited the planet Earth? Nobody except self-appointed moral guardians could care less about alleged "Australian racism", much less mount a "global charge" against it.

One wonders why large numbers of migrants continue to flock to the country, and why some make such desperate efforts to get to Australia in rickety boats, if the place is as irredeemably racist as you allege.

Actually, the more obvious explanation is that you are simply trolling.

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That's worse.  There would be some justification if they were just pretending.  To not find it racist is verging on mental illness. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

That's worse.  There would be some justification if they were just pretending.  To not find it racist is verging on mental illness. 

Now we know that you are trolling! Take a look in the mirror.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Thank you very much doctor for that diagnosis.

I don't accept that I am mentally ill so I would, if I really cared, seek a second opinion.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

You are becoming boring now, trying to push your anti racist agenda, when nobody but you and JK Rowling sees it.

3 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Have you ever visited the planet Earth? Nobody except self-appointed moral guardians could care less about alleged "Australian racism", much less mount a "global charge" against it.

One wonders why large numbers of migrants continue to flock to the country, and why some make such desperate efforts to get to Australia in rickety boats, if the place is as irredeemably racist as you allege.

Actually, the more obvious explanation is that you are simply trolling.

Do you mean the topic of the thread is trolling?  Or discussion of the topic is trolling?

Just now, billd766 said:

Thank you very much doctor for that diagnosis.

I don't accept that I am mentally ill so I would, if I really cared, seek a second opinion.

Accept it. marcusarelus has said it so it must be so.

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I do think that the lefty , liberal contingent have difficulty in understanding that some other people have a different opinion to them .

You cannot accept that other people have a different opinion to you , you just consider them to be "mentally ill"

Would it also be considered Racist that the Portuguese Umpires nose has been portrayed as being so large ?????

Caricature is simply exaggeration of existing features...

Unfortunately Political Correctness and playing the Race Card is still given credence and knee-cap's common sense in these issues which only ever serve to dilute genuine and more serious issues. 

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do think that the lefty , liberal contingent have difficulty in understanding that some other people have a different opinion to them .

You cannot accept that other people have a different opinion to you , you just consider them to be "mentally ill"

Does that mean that all Trump supporters are mentally ill, or are they just "Despicables"?

By that rote, as someone who finds the cartoon mildly funny and not in any way racist, I would prefer it if @marcusarelus claimed that I was "despicable" rather than mentally ill.

Thanks in advance Marcus.

You're a gentleman and a scholar (?)

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Sorry to correct you, there is nothing here about right of left.

Normal people can understand that people can have different opinions.

Normal people are in favour of freedom of expression, normal people see nothing wrong with satire.

As i pointed out in a previous post, majority of  "Guardian" readers don't see racism in the cartoon.

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You are becoming boring now, trying to push your anti racist agenda, when nobody but you and JK Rowling sees it.

This isn’t the first, or even second time Australia has caught the world’s attention for mistaking grotesque racism for wacky hijinks or fair satire. All we can do now is wait for this to pass and brace ourselves for the inevitability that the world will some day discover the truly staggering number who do blackface for fun or profit in this country.

Since the publication of the sketch, The National Association of Black Journalists has issued a statement describing the image as 'repugnant' on many levels.

'Repugnant, racist': News Corp cartoon on Serena Williams condemned

The Guardian

Google "world reacts serena cartoon"

25 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Now you have seen the cartoon.  Can you see that all reasonable people would find it racist?

NO reasonable people would find it racist. Why are you being so unreasonable?

I could imagine Serena Williams choosing your forum name if she posted on here. Are you Serena Williams? Tell the truth, for once.

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Since the publication of the sketch, The National Association of Black Journalists has issued a statement describing the image as 'repugnant' on many levels.

Is this the world-wide condemnation you are talking about?

Why would anyone be surprised at racism coming from an Australian? Just look at a photo of their MPs, check out all the TV presenters, vast majority of police, fire dept, councilors...

The problem here is the race of the cartoonist; much like the 'N' word, it has never been acceptable for a white person to go there. If the cartoonist were a black person, there would not be any reason to start yelling racist.

2 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Why would anyone be surprised at racism coming from an Australian? Just look at a photo of their MPs, check out all the TV presenters, vast majority of police, fire dept, councilors...

What does that even mean? Are the people you mentioned wearing KKK hoods in their photos?

I honestly think the cartoon is in a grey area. Not black. Not white. I can see how reasonable people can see it as racist and not racist. What makes it a grey area for me is that it's a caricature of a specific black person. Not black people in general. Of course if they made her look like a monkey or something there would be no ambiguity.

As a Jewish person perhaps I'm more aware than some of the ways exaggerated racist cartoons can be used now and in history. So I'm not ready to dismiss people, especially black people, that see this cartoon  as racist. But that said, it might be better to save the outrage for instances where there is less ambiguity about the racism in the images. 

On the actual tennis issue, I think it's clear she did react in an over the top way. I am also convinced that she was probably treated with a DOUBLE STANDARD relative to male athletes behaving in similar (bad) ways. Again, some ambiguity. I think because of her behavior even if she was treated unfairly, she made herself a legitimate target of such mocking cartoons. The issue is the image and whether it's racist or not, not being a target which she should expect.

Archived