Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

How come we never hear from black people complaining about racism against whites.

If this cartoon in anything to go by seems there is more white material for the blacks to get racist about.

Does it only work one way?     (The question is rhetorical)   

You really think this is a legitimate question?  It is mind boggling to a normal (not redneck or chav) person.  Slavery. 

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

A typical example of Australian casual racism.  That is what I found interesting that Australians don't have a clue how the rest of the world feels about their racists attitude.  Chink restaurants is the same. 

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

A typical example of Australian casual racism.  That is what I found interesting that Australians don't have a clue how the rest of the world feels about their racists attitude.  Chink restaurants is the same. 

Who me?  I'm a pom.  :cheesy:

I do live in Australia when I am not living in China though.

I have 3 beautiful children who are all black and I have had 5 wives all of different nationalities but then again according to anyone who has no experience with real life whatsoever I am not only racist but many other things as well.  And proud of them all. My opinion, get a life, a real one.

1 minute ago, car720 said:

Who me?  I'm a pom.  :cheesy:

That is why I said in an earlier post that Brits/chavs may be the only ones who understand Aussie racism. 

Before I started reading ThaiVisa I had no idea of the actual attitudes of persons from Britain and Australia that in America we would call racist rednecks.  I thought they were all polite and proper and PC like J K Rowling and James Bond.  I didn't know they were more like Bubba from Bama. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

That is why I said in an earlier post that Brits/chavs may be the only ones who understand Aussie racism. 

Before I started reading ThaiVisa I had no idea of the actual attitudes of persons from Britain and Australia that in America we would call racist rednecks.  I thought they were all polite and proper and PC like J K Rowling and James Bond.  I didn't know they were more like Bubba from Bama. 

Oh I don't know if rednecks describes us all that well.  Hillbillies maybe.  And Bubba is one of my favourite golfers.  Nice guy.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

and JK Rowling the American liberal press you will see the outing of Australian racism.  From what I'm reading here the emphasis is to shift the discussion away from Australian racism to anti American discussion about Billy the Kid vs Ned Kelly - hardly the discussion topic or convict transportation - hardly the topic or American sports pride - not the topic. 

Really, who gives a rat's rectum what JK Rowling thinks, like she is a spokesman for the western world, she writes kids books, her opinion means nothing, except to you. BTW, you were the one who introduced Ned Kelly into the conversation.

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

yea but in  America they would call Donald Trump a soothsayer. :cheesy::cheesy:

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you realise how hypocritical your comments are, coming from the US but calling another country racist? Next you'll be calling the US peace-loving.

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Really, who gives a rat's rectum what JK Rowling thinks, like she is a spokesman for the western world, she writes kids books, her opinion means nothing, except to you. BTW, you were the one who introduced Ned Kelly into the conversation.

and Ned was a quality Irishman.  Isn't that the origin of most Americans?

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

rat's rectum.  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

3 minutes ago, car720 said:

and Ned was a quality Irishman.  Isn't that the origin of most Americans?

Correct. The true heir to the throne of National Anti Hero precedes and surpasses both Ned Kelly and Billy The Kid.

No, not Robin Hood, I'm talking about a true Englishman and working class hero, Dick Turpin.

I think it was just a historical/cultural difference issue. Australian cartoonists have always exaggerated physical features or personality traits in their art to get their message across. Prime Minister Howard's eyebrows, Prime Minister Abbott and his ears. 

The American context is different and all you see online is about didn't you take your civil rights class? Well no, funnily enough we follow our own government's curriculum. We understand the struggle, and the continual struggle, however, if the class said you can never call up an African American for behaving like a brat then it is a good thing we did not take it. 

Australian population had no problems with it. Only Australians living overseas or trying to make a name for themselves did have a problem with it. Some Americans did due to what I see as a historical variable, but intelligent Americans I would think maybe thought a little bit harder about the context of each country. If they did that they would have saw that every cartoon in Australia, regardless of the person's race, has the same set of rules. 

Surely if we are going to have a problem with it then African Americans should just be off limits in cartoons all over the world due to this fast spreading of information by the internet. This would never have been a problem in the past as the viewers would have been living in a strictly Australian context. If that is the case let's just get rid of another form of expression, let's ban cartoons! 

It is not racist holding people to account just because they were victims in the past. It is racist itself surely to call racism on that as you are putting one race to superiority status. The new South Africa is riding off that victim status, Israel similar as criticisers are being labelled anti-Semitic (will not get involved in that discussion). Call the actions for what they are regardless of what race, religion, gender, sexuality, favourite colour etc the person has. 

20 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I think it was just a historical/cultural difference issue. Australian cartoonists have always exaggerated physical features or personality traits in their art to get their message across. Prime Minister Howard's eyebrows, Prime Minister Abbott and his ears. 

The American context is different and all you see online is about didn't you take your civil rights class? Well no, funnily enough we follow our own government's curriculum. We understand the struggle, and the continual struggle, however, if the class said you can never call up an African American for behaving like a brat then it is a good thing we did not take it. 

I don't see American cartoonists as being any different from Australian, despite a couple of posters here who refuse to acknowledge it.

obamahousesign.jpg

5 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Get over it,  it was a long time ago  -  it's just a cartoon

lets move on and deal with important present day stuff.

Unfortunately, this incident is not about an offender vs an offended person.

It's about a bunch of completely unrelated people trying to gain kudos by being publicly seen to call out "racism" or "sexism". This kind of action is the main way to boost your prestige in the social media era.

It's pathetic, but it is also the modern reality.

1 hour ago, car720 said:

and a shovel a shovel and a spade a spade.  :cheesy:

When Cecily said: "When I see a spade I call it a spade", Gwendolen replied: "I am glad to say that I have never seen a spade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different." [The Importance of Being Earnest]

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Do you realise how hypocritical your comments are, coming from the US but calling another country racist? Next you'll be calling the US peace-loving.

If the topic of the thread was American racist cartoons you would have point but what does it have to do with racism in Australia?  Because America is more or less racist has nothing to do with the rest of the world reacting negatively to Australian racism.  

29 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Unfortunately, this incident is not about an offender vs an offended person.

It's about a bunch of completely unrelated people trying to gain kudos by being publicly seen to call out "racism" or "sexism". This kind of action is the main way to boost your prestige in the social media era.

It's pathetic, but it is also the modern reality.

Absolutely correct. The introduction of "likes" to Facebook was a deliberate ploy by Zuckerberg, to addict people to Facebook. Many people are now addicted to Facebook "likes". You can buy "likes" in bulk from  a number of companies.

People who post howling indignation on any subject, do it to generate "likes" not because they have any strong feelings on the subject.

@marcusarelus take note.

Just now, marcusarelus said:

If the topic of the thread was American racist cartoons you would have point but what does it have to do with racism in Australia?  Because America is more or less racist has nothing to do with the rest of the world reacting negatively to Australian racism.  

It's not the rest of the world, it's mainly America, which is why these comments are on topic.

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It's not the rest of the world, it's mainly America, which is why these comments are on topic.

The big celebrity behind the outrage is J.K. Rowling and she is British. Lets take a look at how a Brit newspaper sees it?  OK?

News Corp defiant after 'racist' Serena Williams cartoon sparks global furore. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/sep/12/news-corp-defiant-after-racist-serena-williams-cartoon-sparks-global-furore

Is the Guardian an American newspaper?  Then it appears you have misspoken. 

It would be nice if everything was America's fault but sorry it's not. 

Whomever is upset about it makes little difference.  It's a racists cartoon to all but racists.

If Bulgaria does not think it is a racist cartoon is not the issue.  I know you don't get that.  But because America thinks something is white does not mean it is black.  What America thinks has nothing to do with it.  It is racist or it is not.  Any rational person (whatever nationality) would think it is. 

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I read some comments on "The Guardian" yesterday, most of the readers agree that there is no racism in the cartoon.

Of course you are free to have an opinion, just don't hide behind "the rest of the world " opinion.

Celebrities are often the target of satire, get over it.

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I read some comments on "The Guardian" yesterday, most of the readers agree that there is no racism in the cartoon.

Of course you are free to have an opinion, just don't hide behind "the rest of the world " opinion.

Celebrities are often the target of satire, get over it.

Luke Pearson, the founder of Aboriginal media company IndigenousX, said the controversy was the latest example of an Australian media organisation being “aggressively racist and then pretend[ing] they don’t understand why people are calling them racist”

The Guardian's opinion is "News Corp defiant after 'racist' Serena Williams cartoon sparks global furore"

Just now, marcusarelus said:

The big celebrity behind the outrage is J.K. Rowling and she is British. Lets take a look at how a Brit newspaper sees it?  OK?

News Corp defiant after 'racist' Serena Williams cartoon sparks global furore. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/sep/12/news-corp-defiant-after-racist-serena-williams-cartoon-sparks-global-furore

Is the Guardian an American newspaper?  Then it appears you have misspoken. 

It would be nice if everything was America's fault but sorry it's not. 

So you have quoted the most left wing libertarian snowflake newspaper in the UK and the most left wing, middle class, man hating, self publicising, below average, children's pulp fiction author in the world.

Try quoting the Times or Telegraph or Daily Mail, if you want to be taken seriously. Oh, and still waiting for all those European and African quotes that you claim to have read.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Luke Pearson, the founder of Aboriginal media company IndigenousX, said the controversy was the latest example of an Australian media organisation being “aggressively racist and then pretend[ing] they don’t understand why people are calling them racist”

The Guardian's opinion is "News Corp defiant after 'racist' Serena Williams cartoon sparks global furore"

Except that "global furore " is nowhere to be seen.

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

She's half Japanese, half Samoan.

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naomi_Osaka#Personal_life_and_family

Naomi Osaka was born in Chūō-ku, Osaka to a Haitian father, Leonard "San" François, and a Japanese mother, Tamaki Osaka.

Her father was born in Haiti and went to New York University before moving to Japan, where he met her mother and later married her.

Osaka and her sister Mari, who is also a professional tennis player, have played together in doubles. Osaka moved at the age of three with her family to the United States where she currently resides in Florida.

Osaka has been described as Japanese, American, Japanese-American, American-Japanese, Haitian-Japanese, and Haitian-American-Japanese. Being raised in the United States while having a mother who is Japanese and a father who is Haitian-American contributes to Osaka's multi-ethnic identity. Osaka has dual Japanese and American citizenship but she is not fully fluent in Japanese.

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Because America is more or less racist has nothing to do with the rest of the world reacting negatively to Australian racism.  

Rest of the world? Be specific. You should start by cleaning up your own backyard before you criticise someone else.

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why do you keep quoting JK Rowling, like she is some kind of authority on racism? Guaranteed she lives in a neighbourhood where a black face is never seen.

Archived