International cybercriminals and Thailand’s porous border

webfact

5 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

This part is quite interesting, in my opinion:  

The darkweb mastermind was found dead a week later in a cell at the NSB. Police said all evidence pointed to suicide. Authorities then confiscated more than Bt726 million of Cazes’ Thai assets. 

Nail on head

3 hours ago, mindfulness said:

so VPN’s don’t work ? Or the guy was not that clever. 

He was using TOR a VPN Encryption search program, VPN to bypass the servers here and Encryption that was supposed to be fullproof, however the FBI hired some top gun hackers, that broke the Encryption, thats how they got caught

4 hours ago, mindfulness said:

... so VPN’s don’t work ? Or the guy was not that clever. 

Actually I think it's the opposite, they do work. That's why the FBI asked that the computer needs to be online when they take him. Or else they had no evidence, even though they had his IP address.

Also saw this on another news site,

"....Cazes' own carelessness apparently tripped him up - not the underlying security technology AlphaBay used. According to the indictment, he accidentally broadcast his personal Hotmail address in welcome messages sent to new users. And when he was tracked down and arrested in Thailand, Cazes was logged into the AlphaBay website as its administrator, it says. Cazes also used the same personal email address - <deleted> - on a PayPal account...."

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Sloppy more likely.  You drive those sorts of cars in Thailand as a farang you are not clever.  Career day in high school the top cop in our area said :  " Good criminals don't get caught ".    

"Smart Criminals don't get caught" is more like it. But I would ad, Well connected Wealthy Criminals don't get caught !!!

Archived