Government tells taxi drivers where to stick their request for more money

rooster59

Government tells taxi drivers where to stick their request for more money

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GTK9e8s4i5n5I8A1JK.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

A top level government official has responded to taxi drivers who want to raise the passenger service charge from 50 baht to 100 baht for using Bangkok's two main airport taxi services. 

"Let them boycott", said assistant communications ministry man Phairin Chuchotthaworn. "There are plenty more taxis willing to work".

The assistant minister's tough words came in response to a proposed boycott by taxi vans who want the fees raised so they are the same as the new VIP cabs introduced last Sunday.

They charge 100 baht extra over the flag fall of ordinary taxis that just charge 50 baht when parked at the airport. 

Taxi vans are larger vehicles than the normal ones. 

Phairin said that both Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi have plenty of drivers ready to ferry passengers to their destination. 

He told Thai Rath there was also the fully operational airport rail link from Suvarnabhumi to downtown as well.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-15

The  whole issue is a bloody joke. Tell the AOT boys to OPEN their eyes for once, when they go for yet another airport inspection (usually groups of 20 - 50); any airport the size of Swampi has a dedicated access lane for taxis coming in to pick-up passengers from a loading base in the form of a fork.

Swampi needs paperwork, the girl has not the slightest clue of English. You cannot be taken to the Oriental hotel, as the place is called "Olianthen" (at least at the Swampi desk). To increase the profits and non-receiptable income further they installed turnstile gates on arrival to make sure that no arriving passenger could grab a (much easier and faster) taxi returning back to Bangkok empty. 

Like everything else, the minute the government or one of its agencies has their little paw in the honey pot - things go south! 

55 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

The  whole issue is a bloody joke. Tell the AOT boys to OPEN their eyes for once, when they go for yet another airport inspection (usually groups of 20 - 50); any airport the size of Swampi has a dedicated access lane for taxis coming in to pick-up passengers from a loading base in the form of a fork.

Swampi needs paperwork, the girl has not the slightest clue of English. You cannot be taken to the Oriental hotel, as the place is called "Olianthen" (at least at the Swampi desk). To increase the profits and non-receiptable income further they installed turnstile gates on arrival to make sure that no arriving passenger could grab a (much easier and faster) taxi returning back to Bangkok empty. 

Like everything else, the minute the government or one of its agencies has their little paw in the honey pot - things go south! 

For some months now at Suvarnabhumi there are no staff at the taxi queue, just machines that pump out a ticket with your taxi and bay number, it works well.

13 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

The turnstiles have been there for awhile and I have never had a problem getting around them. Like all things in Thailand they stopped trying to stop people going thru them after 6 months

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

The turnstiles have been there for awhile and I have never had a problem getting around them. Like all things in Thailand they stopped trying to stop people going thru them after 6 months

The last time we came through Swampy ( admit it was 2 years ago ), the "Guard" helped the wife negotiate the turnstile with her trolley to catch a taxi on the departure level. 

I never paid the 50 baht tourist charge at the airport when i travelled alot. Always went up to the departure terminal as i travelled light.. Obviously thats difficult if you have loads of luggage.

Biggest airport rip-off is Australia.  4 dollars for trolley hire  !!    dont take your eyes off it for more than 10 seconds otherwise it'll be gone.  parking  fees at Melbourne airport is outrageous.

Australian airports are <deleted>  in comparison to Changi or HK.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:14 AM, lanista said:

I never paid the 50 baht tourist charge at the airport when i travelled alot. Always went up to the departure terminal as i travelled light.. Obvious$ly t20.00hats difficult if you have loads of luggage.

Biggest airport rip-off is Australia.  4 dollars for trolley hire  !!    dont take your eyes off it for more than 10 seconds otherwise it'll be gone.  parking  fees at Melbourne airport is outrageous.

Australian airports are <deleeted>  in comparison to Changi or HK.

I just paid $6.00 for a trolley in San Francisco.  Needed two and put in a $20.00 bill and got change in dollar coins which the damn machine would not take for a second trolley.

At least for international arrivals the trolleys are free.

Archived