German expat gets eight years jail for slaying Phuket girlfriend

rooster59

German expat gets eight years jail for slaying Phuket girlfriend

By The Phuket News

1537005675_1-org.jpg

German national Nico Papke, a former fitness instructor in Rawai, explains to police his actions in disposing the body of his ex-girlfriend Pischa ’Lek’ Nampadung, last year. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: German national Nico Papke, a 36-year-old fitness instructor in Phuket, has been sentenced to serve more than eight years in jail for the murder of his girlfriend Pischa ‘Lek’ Nampadung, for stealing her ATM card and for a drugs-related charge.

Papke, from Altdöbern, Germany, was arrested for the murder Ms Pischa, 35, on July 11 last year after her body was found dumped in the jungle in Wichit two days earlier.

Ms Pischa’s body was found wrapped in blankets and bound with sticking tape beside the road about 600 metres along the newly graded track leading into the jungle north of the cement factory on Muang Chaofa Rd. (See story here.)

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/german-expat-gets-eight-years-jail-for-slaying-phuket-girlfriend-68646.php#Fwrz0ELDrFI4s0tD.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-15

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

she no longer had feelings for me and that she missed her Israeli ex-boyfriend,”

He should have moved on then, he would probably be in a better position than he is now.

Not sure the other inmates will be happy with this 'farang' killing a Thai citizen, but that's his problem to face.;

11 hours ago, arithai12 said:

This 50% discount when you admit your guilt is weird, especially when the evidence is incontrovertible anyway.

It is not automatic, it is up to the court to set the sentencing and they are allowed to reduce sentences by up to 50% if they plead guilty, again it is their decision, not the prosecutor.  And there is no way of determining if the evidence was incontrovertible in the eyes of the court as when a guilty plea is entered no evidence will be submitted by the prosecution.

44 minutes ago, Roda07 said:

8 years?  For killing his girlfriend. My friend and her Thai partner got sentence for 20 years for stealing 100k+ baht ?.

The maximum sentence for a single theft is 5 years, however the sentence can be increased in circumstances such as it having taken place at night, involving burglary, using a gun, impersonating a police officer, stealing off their employer, stealing public property, stealing from a temple, being involved in a gang, etc. and these can all be added together, so a gang member stealing someones money having broken into their home at night while carrying a gun can receive a much longer sentence than someone who just saw a bag sat unattended and walked off with it, and rightly so I feel.  So, just what was it about your friends thieving case that allowed the court to quadruple her sentence?

Several posts comparing different sentences for various crimes.  Sadly, in Thailand, the social status of the victim plays a large part in the severity of the sentence.

Commit a crime against a prostitute from Issan and the sentence will be one amount, commit the same crime against a "hi-so" here, and for sure your sentence will be a lot harsher, particularly so on Phuket, if the victim is a respected member of one of the big dozen families here. 

Not to mention, using the above scenario, one family can be paid off, and the other family doesn't need the money. 

This "justice system" is a bad joke. Others shoot a cop in the face in full view of guests in a disco, go on a one year vacation to Malaysia, and on return get promoted in the army...

As another poster said, they should have handed him to her relatives and yes, in cases like this I have no problem with mob law.

9 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

8 years, I have been married for 17 years.

Wish I knew this earlier.

I wonder how many of us reading that burst out laughing. Obviously I could never ever ever ever do it under any circumstances but it does shed a humorous light on how excruciating painful a marriage can be. Men were simply not genetically programmed for marriage no matter which way you cut it, dice it or slice it. If it weren’t for raising children and the wish to keep a loving and stable environment for them the vast majority would simply opt out at some point, and some indeed do. Putting it another way...If I lost my wife or she divorced me I would never ever ever ever get married again! One should never make such absolute claims, but I feel strongly that this is the one exception to that rule!

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

8 years not enough ,for the brutal slaying,

just the other day a Thai Lady got 4000 years

for conning some people

regards worgeordie

it might not be wise to question the Thai courts system in an online post. If they say a person's life is only worth 8 years, then that's it, k? 

2 hours ago, Roda07 said:

8 years?  For killing his girlfriend. My friend and her Thai partner got sentence for 20 years for stealing 100k+ baht ?.

yea but that depends here just whose money they stole.

In Thailand the machismo is that killing a woman is not as bad as stealing the wrong money.

33 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Plenty of cases, regularly reported here on TV of Thai people and others getting very long sentences for conning /cheating others etc., that's enough evidence.

Not more than 8 years for a gram of cannabis, which is what you claimed, isn't it?  That would be more like 8 months, if any time at all, its normally a fine.

The Phuket News report says the prosecutor in the case "declined to confirm exactly what charges were finally pressed against Papke in court and that he  "could not reveal the details" of the trial.

Why? I'm no expert on Thai law, but I gather the Criminal Procedure Code stipulates that a criminal hearing should be held in open court, which presumably means that the public and Press have a right to be present.

Was this case heard in camera and if so, why? Certainly this would explain the lack of media coverage of the actual trial and the a somewhat sketchy and unsatisfactory belated disclosure of the proceedings by the prosecution.

Maybe some legal eagle can swoop in with an explantion.

Archived