Is going back home easier said than done?

rooster59

7 hours ago, z42 said:

Couldn't do it. The UK is an absolute monster in terms of rules, regulations, and prices that are spiralling out of control for everything.

And that is before you add in the dire weather to the mix.

Asia is where its at, all the comforts of home, and moee, but without all the BS.

I couldn't think of even 1 reason to go back there

The reason you will go back is when you eventually become ill. You will be there like the rest cap in hand to the good old British NHS. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Caine said:

The reason you will go back is when you eventually become ill. You will be there like the rest cap in hand to the good old British NHS. 

I'm not sure 'cap in hand' is the right term.  Most of us here have paid our taxes and social security for all our working lives.  Whilst we live here, the UK have frozen our pensions and denied any benefits we may have got in the UK.

So returning to settle in the UK for health reasons is an entitlement not 'cap in hand'.

7 hours ago, z42 said:

Couldn't do it. The UK is an absolute monster in terms of rules, regulations, and prices that are spiralling out of control for everything.

Asia is where its at, all the comforts of home, and moee, but without all the BS.

So is Germany. It would make me physically sick if I had to go back.  They don't want me there anyway because they know how much I disgust Germans, and they know that this attitude can never be cured. 

Initially I had to return from Thailand to my home country 3 or 4 times a year to visit my mother. As soon as I arrived in my western country I felt uncomfortable, I had no desire to contribute to discussions (partly because I was out of touch, but more especially because I wanted to talk about my life and nobody wanted to listen. I regularly came across  comments like 'how can you survive, they can't speak English!. My response of 'I've learned to speak a lot time, was greeted with shock and surprise, and a couple of times 'What for' / 'I don't believe you'. And I just wanted to go home to Thailand.

Partly because I had a very good marriage and son in Thailand but also, strongly because I really craved what surrounded me every day in terms of local culture, behaviors and attitudes, food, work and more. 

After my mother passed away I have rarely gone back. In every possible sense I am 'home' in Thailand.

8 hours ago, z42 said:

If I obeyed every rule in the UK, I would not be in Thailand today.

There is one reason to go back to the UK, your health, though it would depend on your circumstances.

24 minutes ago, CGW said:

Are you including taxes? sounds like nonsense if your not ? 

Yeah you tried to import anything to Thailand or compared the prices of nice cars in the west ?? What do you think that is ?? 

Thailands only tax benefit is income tax because most farangs are not making income.. If they are, they have a high tax burden also. 

50 minutes ago, VBF said:

Yes it CAN be cheaper, but the reality is you have to search for the cheap items, rather than just find them anywhere. To use your beer example, a pint of IPA beer in most local pubs round my way costs from £3.50 - £5. In Weatherspoons (the exception) it's £1.99. So choice is limited to 1 out of 20 pubs if I want the economy. Obviously "up to me" but just putting some balance on it. 

How much is a good IPA in Thailand ?? 

I cant get a pint for less than 250.. often in the 300s.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The only way I can see of going back to Australia would be to purchase a motorhome. All other forms of abode are too expensive.

Hopefully health issues won't drive me back there.

What about places to park overnight, or for the long term? The Upkeep. tax, insurance, etc,etc.

Would the cost of that not be a lot more expensive than renting a home in Australia? I know it would in the UK.

1 hour ago, canarysun said:

Greetings Viewers.....

An interesting topic,as i have lived more than 25 years of my life abroad.20 years in Spain and then 5 years in Thailand.I am not the typical Brit ( although speak with a Radio 2 accent ..) and i have always become part of the real life wherever i have lived.My biggest worry was to ever move back to the UK knowing that i would never fit in,and it would be like " Living on Mars ".But i did move back to the UK about 3 years ago.It was not easy at all,nobody could understand how you felt.You will all be " delighted " to hear that i an fine now! ( well almost..) no i do not fit in completely and probably never will.I spend everyday of the year outside walking ( as i have always done ) i have found that many Brits seem to work a 9 to 5 and then just gaze at the T.V for hours ( to me that just seems a waste of life) I enjoy life again,grab Ryanair £20 flight seats now and again and have a break,take photos etc.But i just seem to have a different view on life than many of the people that surround me.I like to have a laugh everyday as i have always done as life is short.But moving back to the UK can be done but believe me it takes time.......

Mr M ( Living on Mars ) x

Nice to see you back here on Thaivisa Canarysun :thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, Caine said:

If he has paid his NS contributions all his working life, why shouldn't he?

8 hours ago, z42 said:

You sound pretty convincing about your feelings  toward the UK.

That bad?   Not even a single reason to return?

What year did you leave the UK?

8 hours ago, z42 said:

Sounds very similar to Australia, only difference would be the weather. 

Having returned to the U.K. after 20yrs in Thailand, I have to be completely honest and admit that my decision to return has proven to be one of my biggest mistakes that I have made in my life. Firstly let me explain why we returned. Firstly I thought I had a serious medical condition, thankfully that has been shown to be wrong.Secondly for the education of my children. 

What I have found is a country over regulated, in many instances by petty rules that I can only assume were created by under employed bureaucrats. Further more I find many of my fellow citizens to be miserable buggers. Yes, I know that the Thai smile is not always genuine, but it is still a smile, an occurrence that is in comparison, a very rare occasion in the U.K. However in their defense I can in someways understand. Many of the news programs are centered on gloom and despondency, as we seem to be a nation of defeatist, always looking on the downside of life. And then when the T.V commercials come on,we are bombarded by adverts for insurance products to cover us in the event of some disaster, or to pay for a policy to cover our funeral expenses etc,. 

Regarding  education, we visited  a number of Primary schools in the hope of enrolling one of my children, and in nearly every instance, it was pointed out to us, that there would be extra help for those children that were struggling, yet never a mention of extra support for those children who were exceeding in their year group. When the children take part in sports, it’s emphasized to them that winning is not important, thus reminding me of that old saying “ Those who say winning is not everything, are those who have never won Anything”. It’s as if the all system is geared to underachieving.

This is just a summery of my opinions on the downside of present day U.K.

though I would add two advantages of living in the U.K. The courtesy, and the driving  ability of British  motorist, and very surprisingly, how in many instances food in the U.K is cheaper when compared with Thailand.

51 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Yeah you tried to import anything to Thailand or compared the prices of nice cars in the west ?? What do you think that is ?? 

Thailands only tax benefit is income tax because most farangs are not making income.. If they are, they have a high tax burden also. 

I shall ignore the first paragraph of your post ?

I was referring to personal income tax, I moved to Thailand many moons ago due to the ridiculously high personal income taxes in the UK, the saving pays for the many goods that cost far more here in Thailand. 

I actually had a great repatriation experience.

Mrs G loves it, although she'd been in the States years ago as a student so it wasn't a totally alien experience to her.

I like being back among people who's brains generally work on the same frequency as mine.

The power stays on, even after a couple of claps of thunder, the Internet works(all the time)....oh yeah and I can buy decent bagels!

Then back to Thailand to avoid winter.

Perfect

The underlying reason that keeps me on the fence is probably the same for many.  The housing nut. 

In my case, high cost $an Diego, Kalifornia. 

I miss the Pacific Ocean, that's the big draw.  Waters and beaches of Thailand just don't do it for me, so in a lot of ways, my time here is "cheap" dead time, just waiting for the next trip out.  Although I have been thinking about a nice double wide mobile home somewhere in Florida, and split our time here and there.  Mindful that said mobile home is a gamble during the annual hurricane seasons.

Otherwise, all the big ticket items here are bought and paid for, which makes it far too easy to simply stay, be lazy, and drift along on about $2,500 USD a month.   Granted, the hole in my CV just keeps getting bigger, and we ain't getting any younger.

44 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I've lived here for the best part of 20 years and I still pay income tax in the UK as my income from pensions comes from the UK.

Congratulations HHTel,

I honestly wonder if you are the sole  exception.    Ive heard so many expats  in SEA brag about how they don't pay any taxes to any  country.    It's a badge of honor to many

I know Brits have a tax  obligation under specific circumstances but most Brits deny it.

In a Graham Greene novel I read something similar to 'only thieves and gypsies go back'. My memory is not that accurate for the wording though. I left UK in 1977 and since then have lived in Canada, US, Australia and Sweden. I returned to UK for a year in 1999 and thought it was a hole of a place. I could not go back.

If you do, do it 100%, don’t compare life in Thailand or it’ll gnaw away at you and you'll pingpong.

Main differences: no magic, regimented life, disconnect with people in general, weather, taxes/charges for everything... though Thailand is also going the same way it seems.

It is way too busy thanks, in large part, to excessive Euro migration. Very noticeable if you have spent time away. Roads, schools, hospitals are all way too busy. You will constantly hear eastern European languages on the street and see male groups milling about supermarkets. Culture/belonging eroding away slowly but surely. Not being racist here, just noting stark observations.

I find the driving experience - though generally courteous drivers and good quality roads - appalling. Think single lane highways, extensive roadworks and old fogeys dawdling along. Together with an inordinate number of traffic lights and speed controls now, if driving is a part of your work, it is exasperating.

/Of course, there is the better safety aspect which is a biggie when not having to worry whether you're little one is haring around city streets helmetless! //

If for the kid’s education, kudos to you, but do see to it that you drum out the SJW crap they are feeding them. Also keep them connected with Thailand – holidays, language, mates etc – and that they are super-lucky to have Thai blood with both options.

For me, not being surrounded by Thai people is a major drawback. For those that do not rub shoulders with the average Thai, even if you don’t speak much, you are missing out. They are unique!

Pluses of UK: education and language bolstering for kids, mild weather, clean city air, better options for food and drink (by a country mile), safety, good music and excellent festivals, military doesn’t run things.
Minuses: little pizzazz, crap weather (mostly), regimentation with force-fed politics, squeezed roads, no 7-11s to fall back on, boring people, staid way of life.

Ideal if you can do both places.

I notice that in many posts, when pointing out the differences, all the negatives are highlighted with very few pointing out the positives.

For me - better selection of food, (I'd go crazy for cheeses) English pubs,  the countryside with all it's greenery, clean streets with very little litter, general attitude to driving, market towns, open-ended licencing hours, public parks, trains and buses that are safe!!, Police force that do their job and are generally polite to the public. There are many more but they are just a few that come to mind.

I've not mentioned free health care and education.

Having said that, I'm well and truly settled here but there are pluses and minuses in all countries.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The only way I can see of going back to Australia would be to purchase a motorhome. All other forms of abode are too expensive.

Hopefully health issues won't drive me back there.

Mate, I hope you do not want to go back to Port Headland. I lived in a caravan up north for 5 years and it is a great life but Port Headland was $55 per day in the off season and you were restricted to how many days you could stay (2 days in one park). This was 5 years ago but might have changed now.

My thinking is the same as you, but towing a caravan when over 70 yo is not an easy task and you would be lucky to find a good spot where the rent was not $40 per day.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What about places to park overnight, or for the long term? The Upkeep. tax, insurance, etc,etc.

Would the cost of that not be a lot more expensive than renting a home in Australia? I know it would in the UK.

Registration and insurance about $1500 per year. Maintenance is not a problem provided one buys a reliable brand.

It depends on where I park for the night. Caravan parks are getting to be expensive; however, I could park for weeks in the backblocks of New South Wales or South Australia without being noticed. It's a big country once you get away from regional towns.

The full Australian age pension is AUD 23,600. I have a friend who rents a townhouse about 40 km outside Melbourne. He pays about AUD 31,000 a year in rent. Basically, unless you have other income-producing assets, or own the roof over your head, a pensioner is screwed in Australia.

13 hours ago, markaoffy said:

“Fit in and alligned to English culture “ would be the easiest part of moving back ! One thing I’ve never done (only parts I had to) is be part of or engage in Thai culture !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

We are all different and I have no criticism of you or your choices. But I really feel lucky to have met some Thai people that have taken me to their homes in Issan and taught me a lot about Thailand and Thai people. Some were poor some were bar girls and some were educated and some were Thai policeman and village elders.  I don’t agree with everything thai but at least I get to see and hear the reasons for thai culture from thai people. Thailand IMO is much different than proclaimed on TFV.

We have all traveled long distances to get here so coming here to change their culture or be critical of their culture seems strange to me.  And those that think Thailand would crash without expats living here with their pension funds simply do not know the current Thailand IMO. 

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Mate, I hope you do not want to go back to Port Headland. I lived in a caravan up north for 5 years and it is a great life but Port Headland was $55 per day in the off season and you were restricted to how many days you could stay (2 days in one park). This was 5 years ago but might have changed now.

My thinking is the same as you, but towing a caravan when over 70 yo is not an easy task and you would be lucky to find a good spot where the rent was not $40 per day.

Love your Album Cover - Aqualung - Jethro Tull was an unappreciated Genius in my opinion.

Archived