PADI Open Water Dive Course...

moonseeker

I did my O/W with Mermaids over 20 years ago, seen many other dive operators come and go but as far as I know Mermaids is still going strong. (have not had the opportunity to get back to Pattaya for a few years now). 

For O/W certification (when I did mine) was a 4 day coarse, First day was class room work, (this can now be done on line), second day was morning in the class room and afternoon in the pool familiarizing with the equipment and diving in a confined pool  to learn basic skills.

Days 3 and 4 consist of 4 open water dives (2 dives each day), these take place at one of the islands close to Pattaya, the location will be chosen for its suitability for diver training as a student diver will not really get the opportunity to take in the sights.

I have had many great dives off the Islands near Pattaya and Samae San (about half hour drive from the Mermaids Dive Centre) but there are better (and worse) places to dive than Pattaya, but Pattaya is so convenient for most people.

2 hours ago, Kim J said:

Mermaids in the days you are talking about was set up and run by an American, and was indeed a professionally ran show. Unfortunately the founder / owner died many years ago at a young age and the business subsequently has new owners.

There have been many changes in that time.

Over the years there have been some dreadfully run dive operators in the Pattaya area, two of the larger shops that spring to mind have fortunately long gone out of business. As you say there are still the plethora of other shops that seem to be here one minute and gone the next.

There are very few dive centres in Pattaya that have lived the test of time and survived under the same ownership.

I knew Steve quite well, he was also a hasher and owned the TQ2 in Walking street

https://www.mermaiddive.com/in-memory-of-sb1/ 

16 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I knew Steve quite well, he was also a hasher and owned the TQ2 in Walking street

https://www.mermaiddive.com/in-memory-of-sb1/ 

Yes, B1 was a great guy, it was a very sad day he passed away.

I think I still have a "TQ2 free bar fine" card somewhere...

Also knew Pete and Neil (AKA Real Divers) and their farther Dave, a really great guy.

You can not be serious. The conditions in that area of Thailand at this time of year can be absolutely appalling. Even at it's best you could not describe this diving as anything more than basic.
Anyone who is serious about diving and are traveling to Asia for a dive specific holiday would not even consider Thailand, let  alone the Eastern Gulf.
Am at Koh Kood now. Water looks nice from the balcony and yesterday when swimming was nice and clear. If he is looking to do his open water course I don't think he wants more than basic.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks all. Been around most TH islands & beaches and done some "amateur" dives in most places, starting 25 years ago, when  the islands were still more or less unspoiled & not completely  destroyed. Looking back, even then  IMO TH beaches did/do not rate top by any measure, neither did/do any of the reefs or the sea in general. Have seen 100 x better, cleaner, more impressive in FL, Bahamas, Brasil, Philippines, Australia & Europe. Even more so, when we start talking sea-life & fishes in general. Now the garbage is piling up even on very small and easily controllable islands, ruins and rubbish allover the place. No clue how people can take so little pride in their nature/country & environment. The cops watch buses & trucks literally blinding the entire road with black smoke and don't make any effort to get this under control etc. etc. etc.   Sad, what is becoming out of nature here....

Just met with a TH business friend, who visited a medium size historical city in China for business...He was totally amazed by the cleanliness and respect he witnessed....

Thanks for the tips ref. diving here. Just wanted to get an accurate and current idea, before I send my friend off to dark waters ?   MS>

Archived