Tour bus brakes fail on Patong Hill

webfact

Tour bus brakes fail on Patong Hill

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1537075709_1-org.jpg

The bus came to a halt at the bottom of Patong Hill. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: The driver of a tour bus was forced to veer off the road while descending Patong Hill just after 9am today (Sept 16) in order to bring the bus to a stop after the brakes on the bus failed.

No people were injured in the incident.

The bus, registered in Phuket and operated by Piyachoke Sakorn Co Ltd, came to a halt near the Kathu Shooting Range at the bottom of the steep descent on the Kathu side of the hill.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/tour-bus-brakes-fail-on-patong-hill-68648.php#L9sx4oXoB3IJjsVF.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-17

That's not even a very steep part of the hill, and just after coming off the summit, near Tiger Temple, oh well, guess this is expected when only buses from other provinces are "checked," for me, I suspect maybe piss poor driving skills... oops, what skills. Putting the gears into low before descending is the way to go.

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

That's not even a very steep part of the hill, and just after coming off the summit, near Tiger Temple, oh well, guess this is expected when only buses from other provinces are "checked," for me, I suspect maybe piss poor driving skills... oops, what skills. Putting the gears into low before descending is the way to go.

Disagree. It's about 450 metres from the temple to that corner, and the road drops something like 60 metres in that distance. Many accidents occur there, albeit mainly with heavy vehicles rolling backwards.

However, I'm not making excuses for crap driving.

The driver of the bus was taken to Kathu Police Station for further questioning while offials arranged for the bus to be safely recovered from the scene.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/tour-bus-brakes-fail-on-patong-hill-68648.php#z09jv0wL7IXb4xWy.99

And when will somebody competent check the brakes on the bus to see what is the true story?

Bus driver charged with reckless driving in Patong bus incident

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

IMG_2213.jpg

PHOTOS: Kusoldharm Foundation

A tour bus driver has been charged with reckless driving after steering his tour bus, carrying 23 Vietnamese tourists, through the roadside barriers on the side of the road yesterday (September 16).

You’ll never guess what the excuse was… (roll the drums)…

Brake failure.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/bus-driver-charged-with-reckless-driving-in-patong-bus-incident

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-09-17

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Never seen that happen before!

To be fair, there has been a reduce at least to the news I have noticed of these break failures.

Perhaps things have improved a bit?

"The driver has been charged with reckless driving. He was fined 3,000 baht. The bus company has not been charged over the servicing of their buses.

Good news, the Vietnamese tourists didn’t miss their flight."

A sense of humour at the end, even though the report update didn't specifically say if the bus brakes had been checked.

Just say it clearly; not brake failure is the cause but the driver who has not learned that brakes have to fail when they use them all the way downhill and drive inappropriately fast instead of using low gear.

Say it clearly: The driver made the mistake - not the brakes. He did not know how to drive.

He deserves to lose face!

And then of course those officials who allow unqualified drivers on the street.

3 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Just say it clearly; not brake failure is the cause but the driver who has not learned that brakes have to fail when they use them all the way downhill and drive inappropriately fast instead of using low gear.

Say it clearly: The driver made the mistake - not the brakes. He did not know how to drive.

He deserves to lose face!

And then of course those officials who allow unqualified drivers on the street.

Not disagreeing with anything you say, although I don't know if he was 'unqualified' legally? Did he have a public transport/HGV licence or whatever is required here?

I'm assuming (dangerous I know) that HGV testing in Thailand doesn't include teaching about using low gear to slow the vehicle on a steep decline?

Is anyone aware of the details about this?

Fine has gone up from 500 to 3000 which just tops up the Tea Kitty nicely but changes nothing else.   Try teaching them to drive Public Service Vehicles  PROPERLY and understand how Air Brakes work and they might get somewhere.   Still; that would be sensible and we know sensible is out of the question !

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Disagree. It's about 450 metres from the temple to that corner, and the road drops something like 60 metres in that distance. Many accidents occur there, albeit mainly with heavy vehicles rolling backwards.

However, I'm not making excuses for crap driving.

Yes it's quite steep and winding from the temple to the bottom of that hill and I drove past this bus yesterday, but by which time they had pulled it back on to the side of the road.

This is just a guess, but I did see some fine sand covering a couple of areas on the road prior to where the bus actually went off, which could suggest that a brake pipe failed/ruptured??

All the same, the driving skills are non-existent, the intelligence of the drivers likewise and many of these buses are in very poor shape indeed.

More to come – – watch this space.

Archived