Growing Yellow Pomelos

StevieAus

Hi I live about 150 kms north of Chiang Mai and have three yellow pomelo trees which are now about 6 years old.

I use organic material plus a 15 15 15 slow release fertilizer plus use an irrigation system

The problem is that although the trees produce plentiful fruit they are bitter.

Is this perhaps just the variety I have or maybe my cultivation methods.

There are so many varieties, i don't know which one you have.

But keep in mind that citrus are high feeders, some extra potassium won't hurt and might make sweet fruit. Also Calcium seems to make it more sweet. Also full sun will be better.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Here you can learn a lot about growing citrus.

20 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Many thanks for the information and the link I have now registered I will obtain the potassium and calcium as you suggest they are in full sun so that shouldn’t be a problem and await the result.

The real red pomelo in thailand ( i forgot the name) is supposed to be the sweetest. It costs much more on the markets and is nice but the price is extreme. I grew that one in a pot and had some fruit but they had many pits, now i grow sumo or yuzu oranges...haven't fruited yet but i guess your climate is better for those.

7 hours ago, Thian said:

The real red pomelo in thailand ( i forgot the name) is supposed to be the sweetest. It costs much more on the markets and is nice but the price is extreme. I grew that one in a pot and had some fruit but they had many pits, now i grow sumo or yuzu oranges...haven't fruited yet but i guess your climate is better for those.

Thanks for your response and comments the pink variety is definitely sweeter but not always available 

Archived