Voice TV suspends 2 commentators, says NBTC forced it

snoop1130

Voice TV suspends 2 commentators, says NBTC forced it

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

WakeUp02-696x367.jpg

Sirote Klampaiboon in a Friday episode of Wake Up News.

BANGKOK — Voice TV said on Monday it would suspend two prominent news commentators from a morning program for a month after citing pressures by the national telecommunications commission.

Virot Ali – one of two political commentators suspended from the Wake Up News program – said the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission accused him and his colleague of being biased and reporting too frequently on ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra. The station is owned by Thaksin’s son Panthongtae.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/09/17/voice-tv-suspends-2-commentators-says-nbtc-forced-them/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-9-17

10 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Thailand - Land of the free. Sure sure.

P should do the right thing and reverse the decision of the previous military strong man, change the name back to Siam, fits better. Not sure if the Burmese would start pouring in again, though.

This station is owned by Thaksin's son and broadcasts as much Shin propaganda as they can get away with; but sometimes get pulled up for it.

Hardly a free news outlet.

23 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

This station is owned by Thaksin's son and broadcasts as much Shin propaganda as they can get away with; but sometimes get pulled up for it.

Should learn to toe the line like TV5, PBS or the NBT who churned up daily junta propaganda. See how they thrive. 

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Should learn to toe the line like TV5, PBS or the NBT who churned up daily junta propaganda. See how they thrive. 

That the junta owns a TV station is bad.. but its just as bad when other political figures own them. I guess you won't agree seeing your an American and it seems that over there TV stations are really bias in their reporting. (depending on what side they support)

I would prefer it like back in my country, stations not owned by political parties and normal not so bias reporting. The US is a great example of how it should not be. Thailand should certainly not follow that model, its actually quite bad that people aligned to politicians can own TV stations and sprout propaganda. 

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission 

Nothing more than junta collaborators to promote censorship.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

reporting too frequently on ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra

Then be fair and limit broadcasts of Prayut government's promotional activities to once a week on all TV broadcasts.

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

That the junta owns a TV station is bad.. but its just as bad when other political figures own them. I guess you won't agree seeing your an American and it seems that over there TV stations are really bias in their reporting. (depending on what side they support)

I would prefer it like back in my country, stations not owned by political parties and normal not so bias reporting. The US is a great example of how it should not be. Thailand should certainly not follow that model, its actually quite bad that people aligned to politicians can own TV stations and sprout propaganda. 

If you read the article carefully, the NBTC couldn't even provide an explanation for their pressure to oust the 2 commentators. Simply got to do with another arbitrary harassment of the free news by the junta who exert pressure on NBTC. By the way, content of the station can only be approved by the NBTC. Voice TV is not even terrestrial and has limited viewership unlike PBS etc. The junta paranoid is unfounded and Voice has been targeted. 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

If you read the article carefully, the NBTC couldn't even provide an explanation for their pressure to oust the 2 commentators. Simply got to do with another arbitrary harassment of the free news by the junta who exert pressure on NBTC. By the way, content of the station can only be approved by the NBTC. Voice TV is not even terrestrial and has limited viewership unlike PBS etc. The junta paranoid is unfounded and Voice has been targeted. 

They said reported too much on Thaksin.. maybe its arbitrary maybe not.. but the fact remains his son owns the station so bias is to be expected.

Anyway you skipped all of my post and avoided everything you did not like on par for you.

I am against junta or other politicians owning TV stations and pumping people full of propaganda.

I condemn both sides for it, and yes the junta as usual is not being fair as they go after this station but let their own propaganda go on.

Junta critics taken off Voice TV 

By THE NATION

40464d13be751c29c4035c1be3e1876c.jpeg

JUNTA CRITICS Sirote Klampaiboon and Virot Ali were removed from a Voice TV news show yesterday for allegedly being sarcastic and biased against the military-led government. 

Voice TV director Prateep Kongsip said in a Facebook post yesterday that these changes had been made because some powers-that-be were dissatisfied with the political analysis. Both critics will be absent from the morning news show at least until October 17, he said. 

Sakda Saelew, or “Sia Thairath”, who is known for his satirical anti-junta cartoons, will also be on a break, Prateep added.

“The powers-that-be are strongly dissatisfied with the analysis by both presenters as well as Sia’s cartoons,” the channel’s director wrote, refraining from naming the “powers-that-be”. 

“If no changes are made, Voice TV will be in danger.”

This is not the first time that Voice TV, a news station linked to the Shinawatra camp and known for its anti-junta stance, has faced such intimidation. Their freedom has been tested several times since the 2014 coup. 

Prior to the ban on Sirote and Virot, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission had ordered the station to stop broadcasting its nightly news programme for 15 days. It was taken off the air because the topic of discussion was the French Revolution. 

However, Prateep said his station remained faithful to media freedom and democracy, and that its work has not unlawful. 

“We are wrong only because we have irritated the powers that be,” he said. “But ultimately, we reserve the right to fight this in the justice system.”

Meanwhile, Sirote also wrote a long Facebook post on Sunday night, rejecting the allegation of being sarcastic or biased. “The false allegation shamelessly insults my media ethics and intellect,” the critic wrote, adding that he had closely scrutinised all governments, be it that of Abhisit Vejjajiva, Yingluck Shinawatra or Prayut Chan-o-cha.

Sirote also pointed out that the episode that had allegedly “dissatisfied” the powers-that-be did not even feature him, yet he was had ended up being the target. He said this evidenced the intolerance of different views and arbitrary treatment in the country. 

“I’m sending out this message in the hope that all who are friendly with me and know about this, will try to end such treatment if possible,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30354700

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-18

30 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Nothing more than junta collaborators to promote censorship.

Then be fair and limit broadcasts of Prayut government's promotional activities to once a week on all TV broadcasts.

Oh wouldn't that be so sweet not to hear his garbage being broadcast daily in everyone's faces. Only thing I am good at watching are the royals doing their daily good deeded stuff. Now this is something I appreciate and like to watch. 

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Oh wouldn't that be so sweet not to hear his garbage being broadcast daily in everyone's faces. Only thing I am good at watching are the royals doing their daily good deeded stuff. Now this is something I appreciate and like to watch. 

unable to comment, in the land of the free

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

JUNTA CRITICS Sirote Klampaiboon and Virot Ali were removed from a Voice TV news show yesterday for allegedly being sarcastic and biased against the military-led government. 

Did they both also win the "punch in the face award" from the PM?

2 hours ago, webfact said:

JUNTA CRITICS Sirote Klampaiboon and Virot Ali were removed from a Voice TV news show yesterday for allegedly being sarcastic

welcome to the new thailand;

actions tightly controlled, speech prohibited, thoughts manipulated via propaganda;

have fun

5 hours ago, webfact said:

JUNTA CRITICS Sirote Klampaiboon and Virot Ali were removed from a Voice TV news show yesterday for allegedly being sarcastic ... against the military-led government. 

Dear, oh dear. I don't believe even the morons in charge can seriously believe that these two represent the only sarcastic voices commenting on their governance. Thank God civilised powers don't take the same tack or there would be no effective governance anywhere on the globe.

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

If you read the article carefully, the NBTC couldn't even provide an explanation for their pressure to oust the 2 commentators. 

Typical tactics of authoritarian regimes. Never defining precisely what is forbidden instigates uncertainty and fear. A kind of Damocles's sword.

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes, but at least it counters the usual circles. 

Most aren't aware of the wide variety of alternative and challenging Thai news sources available.

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Thats an interesting insight and it likely has an impact on how stories and commentaries are presented. But I'm pretty sure there can be a case made that the junta is pretty heavy handed regarding the freedom of the press. 

4 minutes ago, chama said:

Thats an interesting insight and it likely has an impact on how stories and commentaries are presented. But I'm pretty sure there can be a case made that the junta is pretty heavy handed regarding the freedom of the press. 

Well understood, by those whom follow these things, that VoiceTV is managed by the Shinawatra group. 

Yet, if one really absorbs themselves everyday into their regular broadcasts and numerous programs, one will find that their spin isn't heavily Shinawatra based.....though, I'm sure Takky and Yingluck critics and dissenters will disagree. So be it. 

As opposed to Thai mainstream media - newspapers, broadcast TV, etc - which has an historic connection with military/elitist ownership and management...for decades on end. 

10 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Come off it - it's a tiny breeze compared to the hurricane of Junta propaganda.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:27 AM, holy cow cm said:

Why do watch it, if you don’t like it ?.  Probably Russia or North Korea is a more proper place for you?

7 hours ago, kannot said:

Still unable to comment or tick like ,in fact my  only comments from now on will be "unable to comment", cant even comment on why Im "unable to comment"

Should have a choice for that next to the like, sad, etc. "No comment".

Archived