What Is That Structure?

PaulUSA302

When I was in Chiang Mai, I noticed some brown stone structures scattered around the city. They all resembled the other but they were not exact in size and shape. Some of them seem to remind me of a stone igloo.

I don't know what purpose these structures serve and am wondering if anyone here can shed some light on their existence.

When I was in Chiang Mai, I noticed some brown stone structures scattered around the city. They all resembled the other but they were not exact in size and shape. Some of them seem to remind me of a stone igloo.

I don't know what purpose these structures serve and am wondering if anyone here can shed some light on their existence.

Do you mean chedis?

http://www.fotosearch.com/AGE019/g77-279844/

My computer is blocking that link. (I am at work). I think I may have a picture of one of the structures at home. Later tonight I will search for a photo and post it. I have to know what they are... I just have to!

Do you mean chedis?

http://www.fotosearch.com/AGE019/g77-279844/

Never occured to you to ask someone while you were here? Perhaps read a guidebook?

just a thought....

You mean these things ?? Chedis, stupas, pagodas etc.. They were and still are giant urns to house the remains (ashes) of either a Buddhist relic and or Royal family, Buddhist abbots etc.. The photos below are in Ayudhaya not Chiang Mai, although they are all similar-ish.

post-31110-1171036402_thumb.jpg

post-31110-1171036416_thumb.jpg

Edited by Austhaied

Some of them seem to remind me of a stone igloo.

I can shed some light : they are actual stone igloos and they serve as chill out rooms.

"Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!" YES! Thank you! :o You answered my question and I am truly grateful! Thanks to all of you who genuinely tried to help me learn the true use and name of the structures! :D

You mean these things ?? Chedis, stupas, pagodas etc.. They were and still are giant urns to house the remains (ashes) of either a Buddhist relic and or Royal family, Buddhist abbots etc.. The photos below are in Ayudhaya not Chiang Mai, although they are all similar-ish.