Blood tests conducted on farmers shows contamination with toxic farm chemicals

webfact

Blood tests conducted on farmers shows contamination with toxic farm chemicals

By THE NATION

9c2c26703e57bb0ec2e58e3ec0cef256.jpeg

TRACES OF toxic chemicals have been found in the blood of five out of every 100 farmers in Nakhon Ratchasima’s Bua Yai district, if results from tests across 132 villages are used as an indicator.

The Bua Yai district’s public-health office arranged blood tests yesterday after learning that local farmers had been using pesticides heavily recently. 

“There are many contamination cases,” the district’s public-health office chief Pongpipat Chumseeda said. 

Hence, he said, farmers should protect themselves by properly following instructions on the packages and wearing protective gear. 

“They should also get rid of packages properly after using the chemicals,” he added. 

de72fd28b0d2024d371dcc81f4a83180.jpeg

He also advised people to wash vegetables several times, and eat detoxifying herbs such as laurel clockvine.

Several farmers have visited Maharat Nakhon Ratchasima Hospital since late last month, seeking treatment for exposure to farm chemicals. 

A 50-year-old patient from Bua Lai district had to have his fingers amputated to prevent necrotising fasciitis (a flesh-eating disease) from spreading. 

In another case, doctors found severe blood poisoning in a 68-year-old farmer from Chok Chai district. “I developed several health problems since I started using chemicals in my farm five years ago,” the farmer said. 

aa5d1f8cdd3a468ddb55c45697510270.jpeg

A patient displays wounds on both legs that are the result of exposure to toxic farm chemicals. 

The dangers posed by farm chemicals began making the headlines after the Public Health Ministry recommended a ban on some widely used farm chemicals such as paraquat in 2017. Many recent studies have suggested that these farm chemicals are a threat to the environment and people’s health. 

Last month, researchers from Naresuan University found high concentrations of four herbicides in soil, vegetables and even the tap water in Nong Bua Lamphu province.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30354743

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-19

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

and just how much of this poison remains in the plants which becomes our food? Not just a problem for farmers. As there is no immediate cause & effect reaction from this crap, majority ignore the slow poisoning

. . .  advised people to wash vegetables several times

Makes me thankful I'm not a vegetarian.

Would a public health official say this unless he was convinced the chemicals used in Thai agriculture constituted a very real health hazard to consumers?  

I've seen this advice, also, in school text books brought home by my children. Yet how many families actually bother to triple-wash vegetables they cook at at home - and how many restaurants and street and market food vendors bother to wash them at all?  

Makes me thankful I'm not a vegetarian.

The unpalatable truth is that we are all being slowly poisoned while the government plays for time in the hope of harvesting farmers' votes on election day.

And they wonder why nobody trusts politicians!

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1

These toxic farm chemical manufacturers also are similar to the 'big pharma' mafia. Some manufacturing countries which are powerful, even 'twist the arms' of developing countries to purchase these chemicals. For example... 

there is a controversy about the herbicide Glyphosate.

then about the 'labels' that appear on fruits.

Who manufacture these? And, if banned in the country of manufacture, why export it to other countries?

I wonder, if there is 100% chemical free food available anywhere on this planet! Be they be vegetables, fruit, meat or fish.

4 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

The EU banned imports of Thai sweet basil because if failed testing for banned herbicides a few years ago. They really need to wake up to the dangers.

Any idea who manufacture the "banned herbicides"?