How Foreign Investors Can Own Land In Thailand

How Foreign Investors Can Own Land In Thailand

By Wirot Poonsuwan, Attorney-at-Law

tumisa-696x459.jpg

Designed to protect Thai businesses from foreign competition, the infamous Foreign Business Act of 1999 can be a stumbling block for offshore investors doing business in Thailand.

Expats hoping to buy land for their businesses – and residences – are doubly disappointed that the Land Code of 1954 stops them from doing so, this time in the name of national security.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2018/09/19/how-foreign-investors-can-own-land-in-thailand/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-09-19

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"land ownership – with permission of the Interior Ministry –  to 1 rai (1,600sqm) of land for a residential purpose to foreigners who invest at least 40 million baht (USD$1.2 million) in a business that “benefits the economy and society.”

I'll get right on that after my helicopter lands in Monaco. :cheesy:

I think the "easiest" way to legit landownership is becoming a Thai citizen (please note: this is not the same as adopting Thai nationality - to adopt the Thai nationality is a much longer process).

In theory it should be possible to apply for a Thai citizenship after working 3 years continously (for the same company?) in Thailand and paying income tax in Thailand during this period. Ideally one should pay quite a bit of tax, to proof the value of the applicant to Thailand (i.e.: a teacher earning 30k a month will hardly pay taxes and as such will not get much points in this regard, but an IT professional earning 100.000 Baht a month might be deemed more valuable for the Thai economy). There are other criteria that grant points for the applicant, but income is important IIRC.

As a Thai citizen it should be possible to own up to 1 rai of land, if I am not mistaken.

It's something I might consider doing myself in a few years, though currently I earn a lot more than what I would earn working for a Thai company. And working for 3 years for such a company is a long time. But there might be some creative ways to deal with this.

Edited by wolf81

17 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

I think the "easiest" way to legit landownership is becoming a Thai citizen (please note: this is not the same as adopting Thai nationality - to adopt the Thai nationality is a much longer process).

In theory it should be possible to apply for a Thai citizenship after working 3 years continously (for the same company?) in Thailand and paying income tax in Thailand during this period. Ideally one should pay quite a bit of tax, to proof the value of the applicant to Thailand (i.e.: a teacher earning 30k a month will hardly pay taxes and as such will not get much points in this regard, but an IT professional earning 100.000 Baht a month might be deemed more valuable for the Thai economy). There are other criteria that grant points for the applicant, but income is important IIRC.

As a Thai citizen it should be possible to own up to 1 rai of land, if I am not mistaken.

It's something I might consider doing myself in a few years, though currently I earn a lot more than what I would earn working for a Thai company. And working for 3 years for such a company is a long time. But there might be some creative ways to deal with this.

A Thai citizen is a Thai citizen no different to nationality, they can own any amount of land, get a passport etc, they are Thai. A lot more to the citizen process than just paying tax for a few years, it can take up to 10 years, Interviews done in Thai language, and most will say you need permanent resident status first,  lots of threads about it. 

4 hours ago, wolf81 said:

Many of your statements are simply incorrect.

Edited by arithai12

The terms citizenship and nationality are used incorrectly sometimes. It is possible for a foreigner to gain Thai citizenship. So technically to the UN, another countries immigration agents, etc. you would then be a Thai National.

You will never be a Thai National to a Thai unless you grew up here born to Thai parent speaking Thai and there is no “long process” to do that.