Marriage Certificate Translation (UK)

Hey everyone ?

I need to get our marriage certificate translated from English to Thai so that my wife can change her surname in her passport. 

We got married in the UK (2011) just never got round to doing this. 

Does anyone know how I go about getting the document translated and guessing it needs to be approved by an authority figure of some sort? 

I think also I need my passport page translated? 

Any help much appreciated ?

The marriage certificate can be translated at any translation service. Then the translation would have to be certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

The next step would be doing the name change at an Amphoe to have her name changed on her ID and house book registry.

But their could be a problem with doing the name change if the Amphoe insisted that your foreign marriage be registered and a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry issued. To do that your marriage certificate would have to be legalized by the UK government and the Thai embassy in London.

Info is here.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714089/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf

After that she would have to apply for a new passport using her new name.

We did this in June with our UK marriage certificate from last year when we lived there. 

We went to a place right by Ploenchit BTS by Bangkok Bank. They translated it for us and took it to the MFA to be stamped. It took about three days and was 2500b. 

I didn't need my UK passport page translated to authorise the marriage, although some Amphurs do ask for it. 

4 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

just out of interest is there a reason she needs to change her surname in her passport or just prefer it that way?

Without translating and authorising it the Thai man / woman isn't legally married in Thailand. That is the reason we did it recently. 

Just now, BobbyL said:

Without translating and authorising it the Thai man / woman isn't legally married in Thailand. That is the reason we did it recently. 

no, you're missed my point.

i'm not talking about getting kor ror 2.

i am asking is there a reason for changing her surname on her passport which is what the OP wants to do

3 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Just doing a name change does not mean they are legally married. It requires the foreign marriage to be registered at an Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 to prove the marriage was registered.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Just doing a name change does not mean they are legally married. It requires the foreign marriage to be registered at an Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 to prove the marriage was registered.

Yeah apologies, I didn't add that in. We needed it translating before being able to do that. 

10 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

no, you're missed my point.

i'm not talking about getting kor ror 2.

i am asking is there a reason for changing her surname on her passport which is what the OP wants to do

Fair enough. I would guess the same as me so she could change her ID and Passport info. 

22 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Fair enough. I would guess the same as me so she could change her ID and Passport info. 

cool, that's basically what i was asking.

was there a particular benefit to doing that or did you change it as you just prefer everything in your married name?

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

cool, that's basically what i was asking.

was there a particular benefit to doing that or did you change it as you just prefer everything in your married name?

I don't think so. I wasn't really bothered. It was more her wanting to do it. 

• Like 1

@Ubonjoe 

Thank you, so we could get the marriage certificate translated and get it stamped by the MFA and it could all go smoothly changing my wife’s name in her passport or the Amphoe might be funny and then we would have to either go to London or post our marriage certificate to the London Thai embassy? 

@Happy enough 

Easier for travel, signing documents, banking etc. 

@BobbyL 

Ah nice one, I don’t suppose it was called Express Translation Service & Travel Co? Just searched it ?

Did your wife/husband get their passport name changed with the translation and MFA stamp? 

11 minutes ago, rani said:

@Ubonjoe 

Thank you, so we could get the marriage certificate translated and get it stamped by the MFA and it could all go smoothly changing my wife’s name in her passport or the Amphoe might be funny and then we would have to either go to London or post our marriage certificate to the London Thai embassy? 

@Happy enough 

Easier for travel, signing documents, banking etc. 

@BobbyL 

Ah nice one, I don’t suppose it was called Express Translation Service & Travel Co? Just searched it ?

Did your wife/husband get their passport name changed with the translation and MFA stamp? 

just wondered as hers is still in her thai name but haven't had any reason to change.

before you can do anything here such as change her name i am sure they would need the kor ror 2.

you would need to send your marriage cert to the uk for them to do their legalization part, they then post that with the marriage cert to the thai embassy London who do their bit and they then post back everything back together to you. very straight forward.

all details can be found here https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

Edited by Happy enough

7 minutes ago, rani said:

She has to apply for a new passport. Names cannot be changed in a passport. They will use the name shown on her ID after a new one is issued after the name change.

If they want the foreign marriage registry done there are two step to get the marriage certificate legalized in the UK as shown in the info I posted a link to. The Thai embassy in the 2nd step.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

She has to apply for a new passport. Names cannot be changed in a passport. They will use the name shown on her ID after a new one is issued after the name change.

If they want the foreign marriage registry done there are two step to get the marriage certificate legalized in the UK as shown in the info I posted a link to. The Thai embassy in the 2nd step.

Thanks for your help ?

It seems super sketchy sending marriage certificates and other important documents in the post! 

27 minutes ago, rani said:

Thanks for your help ?

It seems super sketchy sending marriage certificates and other important documents in the post! 

they use recorded delivery and couriers and do thousands a year, not sketchy at all

info may be useful on this thread

Edited by Happy enough

23 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

they use recorded delivery and couriers and do thousands a year, not sketchy at all

info may be useful on this thread

Thanks ?

Hopefully will all be ok sending our marriage certificate from Thailand ?

• Like 1