Best supermarket for meat?

RickG16

Best supermarket for meat ?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just got a place with a kitchen, so looking forward to doing some cooking for first time in a while... steaks, bolognese, meatballs etc

Which supermarket do people think is the best for meat, in terms of both cost and choice?

Makro looks like it has the biggest selection, but is it the best for price?

don't sacrifice quality for price...makro has the best beef that I've seen both frozen and fresh...I usually just get the frozen ground beef to use for chilli, meat loaf, pasta sauces and etc...before I useta get junk from tescos and grind it myself...a waste of time and effort...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mogandave said:

For chicken and pork, nothing wrong with Lotus.

yeah, usually in big bins and you can take a whiff to see if it's fresh...the ground pork is nice and is a household favorite...I'll go upstairs to the family kitchen and steal some to put in my stir fried noodles in my downstairs kitchen on occasion...

and the solemn little granddaughter approaches and sez: 'tutsi if you're not careful there won't be enough for the khaoo tom muu tomorrow...' and then the MiL grunts her agreement...and her khaoo tom is the best...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

Tesco lotus as stated above is fine for day to day meat and good value. Mskro has a wider selection but in my opinion its poorer quality and slightly higher price.

Local village market is great for Pork as its been "prepared" that morning but it is a little pricey fresh off the hoof !! Nice quality though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

So they got those big stores on the islands then?

Twice I have been to lotus. Purchased a fresh baguette only to find it riddled with ants whilst unpacking.

Yeah no Maccy Ds but we have those 3.

Ants not good. But how long had the bag been sat in your car / on motorbike?

Just now, RickG16 said:

Yeah no Maccy Ds but we have those 3.

Ants not good. But how long had the bag been sat in your car / on motorbike?

Nah I thought that too but it happened twice. They were in the boot less than 15 mins and nothing else was contaminated.

I love a bit of toast and some baked beans with a garnish of fresh onion on top a sprinkle of black pepper and if I'm feeling naughty a bit of cheese. 

The tinned mushrooms in big c are a rip off btw.

Beans are not too bad anymore. Hovering around 36 baht but bare in mind you can buy a 4 pack in uk for £2 of heinz at tesco.

The fresh meat deals are decent though at big C. The breads ok too.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Local village market is great for Pork as its been "prepared" that morning but it is a little pricey fresh off the hoof !! Nice quality though.

yeah, the local talaat can't be beat for fresh pork, the local abattoir is within shouting distance of my house...I was wandering around the market drunk once about 5am and some dude humping a side of pork almost trampled me...the ground pork has to be ground to order and there's a large fearsome meat grinder sitting in a place of prominence by the vendors...it must be powered by a 50hp engine...they bring in the sides of meat and the butchering is done on the spot...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

well IMO Villa market has the best fresh ground beef (hamburger meat)

and everything else is great too... just expensive as hell.

+1 for Villa although I only buy their Australian grass fed tenderloins for the most part.  At ฿1550/kg it’s only about 10% more expensive than Pavillions or Ralph’s in Los Angeles (and 30% less than Whole Foods).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Airalee said:

+1 for Villa although I only buy their Australian grass fed tenderloins for the most part.  At ฿1550/kg it’s only about 10% more expensive than Pavillions or Ralph’s in Los Angeles (and 30% less than Whole Foods).

That is funny because I am also from Los Angeles and did all my shopping at Ralph's and Whole foods. When I first came to Thailand five years ago I ate a lot of Thai food.

Now I have fallen back to my "old ways" and shop at Villa Market and Gourmet Market.

But I have to say Tesco Lotus here in Hua Hin has the closest thing to a Ralph's precooked BBQ chicken I have found in Thailand. :clap2: 

• Like 1

That is funny because I am also from Los Angeles and did all my shopping at Ralph's and Whole foods. When I first came to Thailand five years ago I ate a lot of Thai food.

Now I have fallen back to my "old ways" and shop at Villa Market and Gourmet Market.

But I have to say Tesco Lotus here in Hua Hin has the closest thing to a Ralph's precooked BBQ chicken I have found in Thailand. :clap2: 

5-Star rotisserie gets my vote for best takeout chicken in Thailand.
  • Like 2

Was put off by the 5 star chickens, when I seen the lady

pulling them out of a bag that looked like dirty water,maybe

some kind of preservative, and put them on the skewers.

some things are better not seen when it comes to food,and

food preparation ,

regards worgeordie

Was put off by the 5 star chickens, when I seen the lady
pulling them out of a bag that looked like dirty water,maybe
some kind of preservative, and put them on the skewers.
some things are better not seen when it comes to food,and
food preparation ,
regards worgeordie

Yeah, I was put off of Villa Market when I saw one of the butchers pick their nose.

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I still eat Thai food from time to time but Like you, I have fallen into my old ways and prefer to cook at home.  I haven’t tried Tescos chicken but have to agree with MoganDave with regards to 5 star chicken.  It’s pretty damn good.

With regards to ground beef, back when I was in college, I had a part time job cleaning the meat department in a Safeway.  The butchers there told me to never buy ground beef and if I wanted it, buy a cheap steak and ask them to grind it.

Aka Haa dow. Been around for at least 3 years. Vary in qualityour which should not happen with if being a franchise. 

What is your primary language anyway?

(just kidding)

Around at least 15 years I think.

It’s always been good when I’ve had it. That said, I don’t think the fried is good, I only ever have the rotisserie...