Brit on life support in Cambodia 'given death sentence' as Government refuses to pay for medical flight home

geovalin

Charles McLaughlin's family have hit out at the Government after their request for a crisis loan was turned down

A devastated British mum has accused the Government of giving her son a "death sentence" as he fights for his life in a hospital in Cambodia. Charles McLaughlin suffered a massive stroke and is on life support with two blood clots on his brain.

Facing a £100,000 bill for treatment and a medical flight, the 38-year-old's family asked the Foreign Office for a crisis loan to help to bring him back to Scotland. But their request was denied because they don't meet the Government's criteria, and his mum Esther now fears he won't survive if he doesn't return to the UK soon, the Daily Record reports.

read more https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brit-life-support-cambodia-given-13270799

quote from the Daily Mirror.

"Charles, originally from Gourock, Renfrewshire, decided to go travelling last November after being made redundant from his advisory role with HSBC in London.

He went to Cambodia with his girlfriend but decided to extend his stay while she returned home.

However, his travel insurance had run out and he is not covered for medical expenses.

Charles had been staying in cheap rental accommodation."

Made redundant so no job or income and NO travel insurance or medical cover,

A second quote

"West of Scotland Labour MSP Neil Bibby said: “It is absolutely vital that the Foreign Office step up to help bring Charles home. This could be a matter of life and death.

“Charles’s family have already done wonders to raise over £40,000 from the generosity and kindness of thousands of people. All they are now asking for is assistance from the Foreign Office in order to get them over the line.

“Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt needs to urgently intervene and support the family’s efforts to help bring Charles back to the UK.”

A great idea for you West of Scotland Labour MSP Neil Bibby.

Why don't YOU pay for his expenses and when his Mum remortgages her house she can pay you back? Alternative why not get the Scottish government to do it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

Tragically another fit, young traveller who didnt see the need for travel insurance.

It seems as though he did have it but when his girlfriend went back, he stayed on.

His insurance cover expired and he didn't renew it for some reason.

15 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

This story has been around for a while and it seems that there is a lot more to the story than what is printed here.

yeah, he was 37-38 years ld  -  a Massive Stroke, cold happen, but very rare??  for his pictures in Jan 2018 he was not super overweight..........he's been in hospital for almost nine months??  No wonder his bill for a Cambodian hospital is nearly $150K USD.

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

A great idea for you West of Scotland Labour MSP Neil Bibby.

Why don't YOU pay for his expenses and when his Mum remortgages her house she can pay you back? Alternative why not get the Scottish government to do it?

Exactly my thinking... Scotland wants independence sort out your own problems !

Condolences to the family for the position they're facing for a son who has dug a very deep hole! 

• Like 1

Must admit I don't quite understand this one; the mother's willing to put up her property as security but no-one will provide the funds. Would've thought you could get it sorted in a day with the right lawyers. My usual criticism of UK "go fund me" appeals is that family and friends probably have a ton of money tied up in property, which they could release if the situation is so desperate and they love the person so much. Maybe I need to re-think.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they do not medevac him to Viet Nam. Much better care at lower price and the transport can be done by road.

Cho Rai, the preferred hospital in HCM is only 4-6 hours trip (depending on traffic) and Cho Ray has an affiliated hospital in Phnom Penh that can arrange everything.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1