Four children killed in Netherlands as train hits 'cargo' bicycle - report

webfact

Four children killed in Netherlands as train hits 'cargo' bicycle - report

2018-09-20T081420Z_1_LYNXNPEE8J0OU_RTROPTP_4_NETHERLANDS-BIKE-ACCIDENT.JPG

Rescue personnel work at the scene where a train struck a "cargo bicycle" popular with Dutch parents to transport their children at the city of Oss, Netherlands, September 20, 2018. REUTERS/Piroschka van de Wouw

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Four children were killed and at least one woman was wounded when a train struck a "cargo" bicycle, popularly used by Dutch parents to transport their children, the newspaper De Telegraaf reported.

De Telegraaf said the accident took place in the eastern city of Oss, near the German border.

A police statement confirmed a "very serious accident" had taken place with "gravely wounded and possibly multiple fatalities."

(Reporting by Toby Sterling; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-20

On this site some pictures of the 'bike' used, https://stintum.com/projecten/bso/. It is used for short distances, was approved in 2012, there are over 3,000 in use, and they take 10 kids each. At the moment the cause of the accident is unclear.

The city where this happened, Oss, is not near the German border BTW.

I used to live directly opposite a kindergarten in the Netherlands and would see dozens of these ‘cargo’ bikes rolling up to deliver and collect children. And too of course kids on rear bike seats, crossbar seats, kids in bicycle trailers and kids on their own bikes.

The Netherlands redesigned their whole road network to become bike friendly as a direct response to rising child deaths due to road accidents.

This tragic accident does not change the fact that the Dutch roads are amonst the world’s safest nor does it detract from the many benefits of a population getting around on bicycles.

No SUV traffic jams outside schools being one benefit, but also the health benefits of millions of people cycling around and of course the reduction in noise and pollution wrt to motorised transport.

In the interest of only remembering the good bits, I try not to remember cycling into horizontal sleet on my way to work or university.

They tell me it builds character.

Archived