Buying A Tuk Tuk

Hi ,

I like to buy a brand new (or nearly new) TUK TUK to use in Thailand..........I can only find one maker Expertice CO.

Anyone knows about other places to check ??

I would also like to know if anyone knows what to do about registration..........I only get the tourist visas, since I dont live there permanent....however I do have a Company (property).........any Ideas ?

Hope to hear from you soon, thanks

When I bought my car I was only on the visa run system. To register it in my name I needed a Bai rabrong tin tee yu certificate from immigration. The saleswoman came with me to help out. I got the impression it was about a permanent address in Thailand for insurance purposes and was only good for one month.

Edited by sceadugenga

Hi ,

I like to buy a brand new (or nearly new) TUK TUK to use in Thailand..........I can only find one maker Expertice CO.

I would also like to know if anyone knows what to do about registration..........I only get the tourist visas, since I dont live there permanent....however I do have a Company (property).........any Ideas ?

Really hope someone can help me..........I have goooooogled and gooooogeled but only found 2 makes........And I cant find anything about more modern looking tuk tuk's .......

Really hope someone can help me..........I have goooooogled and gooooogeled but only found 2 makes........And I cant find anything about more modern looking tuk tuk's .......

Hi,

Try this website, www.thailandtuktuk.net

Makyai

Monika Motors Limited

88 Krungthepkreetha Rd., Huamark

Bangkapi, Bangkok 10240

Tel +66 (0) 2379 4281-5

Fax +66 (0) 2379 4286

www.bgrimmgroup.com

Thanks, they are the ones I did find........but where do they make those modern ones.....

I did also read , you cant register a new tuk tuk in Thailand anymore.......is that really true........anyone, tried recently ??

Hi ,

Hi, I am new to this board (2 days) but a saw a tuk tuk advertised on the "farangconnection " website as a link from ThaiVisa. Looked in VGC

Hi ,

Hi ,

Hi.....they have several places up here in Udon that make the Tuktuks and I've seen many falangs operating them as their transportation...I hear the prices are around 65/70000 or so. Anyway, give it a try.

When I was in Ayuttaya in 2005 I saw many nice new tuk tuks quite a bit different from the BKK/Pattaya type. Fiberglass body with doors for the driver, came in at least 2 lengths. I didn't stop to ask where to buy one, but I plan to go look when I'm back in LOS in April. The Thai wife thinks I'm crazy of course. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I am just wondering what licence/insurance (if any?) is needed to drive/ride one of these

They seem a pretty good "1/2 way house" kind of thing.........not as costly as a car, and not as unprotecting as a scooter/bike

Ok for tootling round locally

Penkoprod

• 2 months later...

The companys in Udon make weak, and gutless tuktuks, they use a 150cc chinese honda copy engine. If you make a hard turn, you are prone to flip over, or twist the frame up.

The real tuktuks are made stronger, with a 3x2 inch steel frame, and a 550 to 650 cc daihatsu engine.

Mine is pimped out and will do 100 to 130 kmh, has big rear sports car tires, aluminum mags, custom exhaust, and can burn rubber at a green light stop, and make a serious hard turn at a corner.

All I need in my province is insurance, there is no need for ekkasarn (registration) or plates.

My tuktuk is fast as a car, but many cars will try to overtake you, and cut you off TIT.

They do that because they think mine is a slow 150cc piece of junk.

Found a picture

Hi.

Yours is a picture of a "hah Lang" 500cc Daihatsu engine Tuk-Tuk, the shorter versions are the "Sam Lang" 300cc tuk-tuks, they run on 91 octane as opposed to the Bangkok type tuk-tuks which have converted to LPG. there were several guys who used to produce these around Ayuthaya and is still the place to go for engines and spares. It's been 10 years or so since I've had "hands on" dealings with Tuk-Tuks, but for personal transport if you are in a rural area the Ayuthaya version is favourite.

I remember in Phitsanulok they stopped issuing Taxi licences for the 300cc models, so a number of drivers took the piece of subframe with the chasis number stamped on it and had a 500cc model constructed around it!

Of course for personal use it's just a matter of registering like any other vehicle, but as I say for taxi use it's a rather more difficult matter of obtaining an old one and rebuilding.

To find where they are built and who's good, just ask the local tuk-tuk drivers I recall the price being around the B 100K mark depending on how many "go faster" stripes you wanted. Fun and easy to drive.

• 1 year later...

If your interested in getting a tuk tuk delivered to your home anywhere there is only one company that can do this, all the rest will just take your money.

Locate Tuk Tuk North America Inc using google or any search engine, they have USA certified units a process that has NEVER been done before, they also carry a full line of parts (if needed) and accessories for them.

For those OLD ones still about parts for them can also be found from TTNA.

Really and truely the unit made by TTNA is the ONLY standardized tuk tuk in the world.

Check them out, you will not be sorry.

• 2 months later...
Hi ,

post-59460-1239802759_thumb.jpg

If your interested in getting a tuk tuk delivered to your home anywhere there is only one company that can do this, all the rest will just take your money.

Locate Tuk Tuk North America Inc using google or any search engine, they have USA certified units a process that has NEVER been done before, they also carry a full line of parts (if needed) and accessories for them.

For those OLD ones still about parts for them can also be found from TTNA.

Really and truely the unit made by TTNA is the ONLY standardized tuk tuk in the world.

Check them out, you will not be sorry.

TUK TUK NORTH AMERICA INC, is the ONLY one to get one from

This is an interesting co-topic to my 'cheapest car in thailand' thread- anyone know how much that fully enclosed red tuk tuk with the pic above would cost roughly? How much would it cost to make it highway speed capable- like 70 mph? I assume the ride wouldn't be that comfortable though?

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I'm a native Thai, and my family has run a Tuk-Tuk rental and sales business for over 30 years to the local people

here in Bangkok and Metropolitan area. Some information you might want to know about Tuk-Tuk in Thailand

is that there's only about 7,405 registered Tuk-Tuk within Bkk area (from total 30,000 Tuk-Tuks in Thailand)

and we can't register more than this number due to the legal restriction, so that sales and purchases will happen

only among these Tuk-Tuks. When the brand new car (Tuk-Tuk) has been used for about 3-4 years (normal

used conditions) and become old, we will rebuild/renovate the car. This is a common cycle how Tuk-Tuk

business in Thailand has operated for a decade.

For a type/model of Tuk-Tuk, we have more than a few based on the classification of the area where Tuk-Tuk

is running. In Bangkok you might see only a Red, White and Yellow-face Tuk-Tuk running around which is the

most modern and most expensive one. But of course comes with the best quality built and strongest. Tuk-Tuk

in other province e.g. Ayuddhya, SamutPrakan, etc.. is the old-fashion type and can be used withinthat area.

If these Tuk-Tuk is running beyond the border they will be caught.

I'm not sure if I will break any rule of this website but if you would like to have any further info regarding the

Tuk-Tuk type, sale or purchase, import/export, registration, etc. please do not hesitate to contact me at my email

[email protected] (my name is Sittichai but better call me 'Tum' as a nick). I hope above info might help you.

Thanks and have a good day.