corresponding bank swift code (nove scotia > Kasikorn)

I am transferring some money from a credit union in Canada to Kasikorn. I have done in the past, but they changed procedures. Joy!

Now the credit union is asking me to provide them with a swift code for a corresponding bank (the banker and I were able to narrow it down to Nova Scotia using some PDF I found online*), but the NOSCCATT code (she tells me)IS  missing 3 letters at the end. I am asked to contact "Kasikorn bank".

Does anyone know anything about this (new) procedure? Is this branch specific? What are the 3 letters missing?

*for a CAD fund transfer

4 hours ago, Jdietz said:

KASITHBKXXX

(They're missing the branch code, XXX is main branch)

https://www.bank-codes.com/kasikornbank-public-company-limited-swift-code-KASITHBKXXX-bic-code

Thanks a lot.

But, this is very strange, it seems, as I have not had to do this for at least 3 years. I guess they are changing their procedures.

But, if XXX is the 3 letters missing, the banker would know not to ask such a stupid question. Right? She is just asking me to give me the next 3 letters for the bank of Nova Scotia. She does not seem to care for the Chiang Mai branch. Very strange!

Additionally, can you explain as to why the banker in Canada is asking me to find out which is the code for bank of nova scotia used to transfer the funds (AKA the corresponding  bank/branch they use). Is that something that Kasikorn would know? My branch?

Edited by JestSetter

Lazyness / ignorance as always.

The requirement for the branch code wasn't always there, now the field in their computer most likely has a length check. 'XXX' means 'main branch' and is always accepted. International transfers to Thailand have to go through the main branch anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jdietz said:

International transfers to Thailand have to go through the main branch anyway.

KBank charged me a fee to transfer the money from the main branch to Pattaya. Out of province fee or whatever...the reason why I stopped sending money to my KBank account. Bangkok Bank only charges 500B top.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

KBank charged me a fee to transfer the money from the main branch to Pattaya. Out of province fee or whatever...the reason why I stopped sending money to my KBank account. Bangkok Bank only charges 500B top.

So you changed banks for the sake of 20 Baht..?

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

So you changed banks for the sake of 20 Baht..?

Inward  Commission : 500B.

Domestic Fee Transfer : US$9000 - 290B

$20000-720B

$17000-620B

$5000-190B

$30000-750B

$8000-300B

Yes they also charge additional 20B for " Lease Line Charges".

Bangkok Bank : 500B max, everything included. May be you should change bank too.

Kbank.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks to all for all of the great feedback.

Yes, Jdietz, I suspect that there have been changes and now they require that info to do transfers. 

So, it looks like it would be an advantage to get my Kasikorn branch swift code too, according to Thailand J. Now, wish me luck trying to ask for that to a local branch. Can one use the transit number in lieu of the terminal swift code? I know the transit number is the first 3 numbers of my bank account. On an old form they recommended the banker to use that transit code. But I will try to find the XXX branch swift code, just in case.

As to the Nova Scotia code, it is a mystery as to why the Canadian banker would ask me (or a Thai bank, for that matter), but maybe they are too lazy to look it up!