Disorder, deal or dead-end: How will Brexit play out?

webfact

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

I am a fair bit older than you and spent all of those years in the workplace. One thing that the EU did for me was to make my workplace a much safer place. Some of my work colleagues wouldn't be alive today if it weren't for the EU.

This is the kind of personal testimony that makes all the difference - it transcends all the copy and paste. But could you be more specific please.

50 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

o be fair, Truman had it in for the UK and refused to forgive its war debts to the USA. A truly shameful and shocking act. Apparently Truman had some kind of grudge against the UK dating from his service in WW1.

100% agreed. The USA saw its opportunity to overthrow its old colonial master on the world stage.

Freedom freedom, no Empire. Sure, freedom to drop bombs from a great height on Asian farmers. Those bombs are still in Laos, maiming people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bomber said:

we hear this term saddled a lot,what exactly does it mean?  iam 50 YO and lived all of those years in the UK,the EU has never effected my way quality of life/earnings/human rights or anything else,someone please explain

The majority did not share your experience. 

4 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

This is the kind of personal testimony that makes all the difference - it transcends all the copy and paste. But could you be more specific please.

As a precursor to joining the EEC, Britain had to bring in the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974). Prior to this industrial safety was on par with Thailand today. Underpinning this the "Big 6" regulations were introduced. "Management of Health and Safety",  "Electrical Safety in the Workplace" etc. These developed and were refined, under the guidance of the EU, over a number of years. It forced employers to abandon unsafe practices, which they would never have done without this legislation. Every new piece of legislation was, and still is, met by howls of derision by employers, "Bloody EU bureaucrats are killing my business" et al. The fact is that they had been killing their workers for centuries and the EU has curtailed them. Deaths and serious injuries in industry have continued to decline since that date.

If we leave the EU, lobbying the Government by the likes of the CBI, against safety legislation, will start immediately. The continuing development of safety in the workplace will stop and is likely to go backwards.

I say all this as a former industrial health and safety representative, of more than 10 years, qualified to IOSH standards. I can remember working on a major industrial project, in the late '70s. A board outside the canteen recorded the number of deaths on site and the number of serious accidents in the previous 12 months. On my first day at work, number of deaths stood at 5. Over the years, thanks to the EU, that number fell to zero and was eventually removed altogether. I really don't want to see it return.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spidey said:

As a precursor to joining the EEC, Britain had to bring in the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974). Prior to this industrial safety was on par with Thailand today. Underpinning this the "Big 6" regulations were introduced. "Management of Health and Safety",  "Electrical Safety in the Workplace" etc. These developed and were refined, under the guidance of the EU, over a number of years. It forced employers to abandon unsafe practices, which they would never have done without this legislation. Every new piece of legislation was, and still is, met by howls of derision by employers, "Bloody EU bureaucrats are killing my business" et al. The fact is that they had been killing their workers for centuries and the EU has curtailed them. Deaths and serious injuries in industry have continued to decline since that date.

If we leave the EU, lobbying the Government by the likes of the CBI, against safety legislation, will start immediately. The continuing development of safety in the workplace will stop and is likely to go backwards.

I say all this as a former industrial health and safety representative, of more than 10 years, qualified to IOSH standards. I can remember working on a major industrial project, in the late '70s. A board outside the canteen recorded the number of deaths on site and the number of serious accidents in the previous 12 months. On my first day at work, number of deaths stood at 5. Over the years, thanks to the EU, that number fell to zero and was eventually removed altogether. I really don't want to see it return.

I don't think British governments will have any incentive to reduce safety in the workplace once we're out of the EU.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't think British governments will have any incentive to reduce safety in the workplace once we're out of the EU.

They will have a great deal of pressure from industry, who see safety as a costly waste.

38 minutes ago, Spidey said:

They will have a great deal of pressure from industry, who see safety as a costly waste.

think you are right

work safety

food safety

medical care safety

home safety - ensuring safe house appliances

stipulations re cleanliness in restaurants/bars including kitchens and preparations of food

hygiene here and there

my guess is these will rapidly deteriorate and UK will regain its position as

the number one dirty and shitty country in Europe,

fully on par with Australia

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Bah humbug! The economic benefits are proven. Your IOSH training would tell you that!! The insuranace companies wouldn't have it anyway. All this cobblers to promote the wonderful EU! Ha!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bomber said:

after brexit there wont be much industry.

the Germans and French can't believe their luck the stoopid Brits shot themselves up and there are still idiots that think this is a good thing.  Bitterness and failure in middle/old  age is an ugly thing to behold on a national scale - still they had their moment of satisfaction on the night of the vote. Soon to time for the bill and the working class Brexiteers are the one picking up the tab. Oh and expats relying on sterling already had a big haircut - get ready for the Thai/army cut soon. On the plus side will be able to drink Archas or lao khao with the ruskies on the 7/11 step and celebrate their countries role in bringing about the 'greatest act of economic self harm since WW2.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1