Brit tourist and Myanmar girlfriend injured as bike does "somersault" on Pattaya hill

webfact

The corners are indeed very slippery. A friend of mine went down not long ago as well, lots of road rash on him, his bike, and his helmet. I always recall when I was following some careless bike sidecar fried chicken food cart down the hill, just as his oil came sloshing out of his frying pan, and onto the pavement on one of these corners. That scared me enough to always take it easy on this stretch.

The corners are indeed very slippery. A friend of mine went down not long ago as well, lots of road rash on him, his bike, and his helmet. I always recall when I was following some careless bike sidecar fried chicken food cart down the hill, just as his oil came sloshing out of his frying pan, and onto the pavement on one of these corners. That scared me enough to always take it easy on this stretch.
Yes and you have dustbin lorries dropping liquids all the way down
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2018 at 12:57 PM, Catkiwi said:

Ah yes indeed however, it was not stated anywhere that I could see, in which direction they were travelling. Either gravity or excess speed could be in play....

He was travelling up hill. There is no storm drain on the other side. As well as being a fairly steep hill it has curves and an adverse camber.

5 minutes ago, The manic said:

He was travelling up hill. There is no storm drain on the other side. As well as being a fairly steep hill it has curves and an adverse camber.

Well, you are the informed one. The last guy to reply to my suggestion was adamant that the biker in question was traveling down hill. I wish you guys that seem to have intimate knowledge of the area and the incident details would get your collective s#%t together.

1 minute ago, The manic said:

It doesn't make sense that he was travelling uphill,coming off at that sign. Since the sign is placed before you even reach the bend..

Whereas if travelling downhill and fail to navigate the second bend, the sign is exactly where you could arrive, if going too fast.

I've actually come off there before, many years ago. But I was still going at a sensible speed and the bike only slid a metre or so. Slippery road at the time.

For him to skid across the road, he must have been travelling a bit too quickly and was lucky there was nothing going up the hill at the same time.

1 minute ago, Catkiwi said:

Well, you are the informed one. The last guy to reply to my suggestion was adamant that the biker in question was traveling down hill. I wish you guys that seem to have intimate knowledge of the area and the incident details would get your collective s#%t together.

He is wrong....

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Why are you so obsessed? I know the topography of that area and have been up and down that hill a 1000 times. The storm drain is on the left going up. As the incident as pictured appears to be near the storm drain it seems a fair assumption they were on the left going up. And that that time is return to Pratumnak time rather than leave to go down town. But who knows or who cares?

Edited by The manic

Just now, The manic said:

Why are you so obsessed? I know the topography of that area and have been up and down that hill a 1000 times. The storm drain is on the left going up. As the incident as pictured appears to be near the storm drain it seems a fair assumption they were on the left going up.

not obsessed however, keep being given unsolicited conflicting information...right from the very first time that the topic was posted. If you know so much why don't you tell everyone what the story is, my friend?

1 minute ago, The manic said:

Why are you so obsessed? I know the topography of that area and have been up and down that hill a 1000 times. The storm drain is on the left going up. As the incident as pictured appears to be near the storm drain it seems a fair assumption they were on the left going up.

No, it isn't a fair assumption. What are you thinking?

Think about it.

If you miss the second bend coming downhill at speed, you will head towards the sign seen on the pic, since you will keep moving in the direction of travel.

How else would they end up under that sign?

Travelling uphill, it would not be possible to end up under the sign, since it is not in any direction of travel.

Take another look at the Google location map I have posted.

The sign is located before the bend on the way up. So how could they have tumbled over to the left, whilst preparing to turn right?

Look at the photo posted. Both bikes are pointed in the direction of downhill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The manic said:

Why are you so obsessed? I know the topography of that area and have been up and down that hill a 1000 times. The storm drain is on the left going up. As the incident as pictured appears to be near the storm drain it seems a fair assumption they were on the left going up. And that that time is return to Pratumnak time rather than leave to go down town. But who knows or who cares?

Hopefully this link will illustrate to you what I describe.

On 9/22/2018 at 5:19 AM, lvr181 said:

Just another smart assed dipstick rider!

How do you know that?

On 9/22/2018 at 5:26 AM, mejomini said:

no license, alcohol on board,

How do you know?  Are you reading something more than what's in the article?

On 9/22/2018 at 7:25 AM, Catkiwi said:

Right and if the bike was 30 meters away from where they flipped, he must have been giving it some gas. 

I've put a bike down on a hill on Koh Chang and I was driving about 10mph, the bike finished 20 metres away.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ndfdjnd said:

How do you know that?

I've put a bike down on a hill on Koh Chang and I was driving about 10mph, the bike finished 20 metres away.

lucky you

• Confused 1

Translation seems to bear out the going downhill too fast theory..

British boys are racing. Bring a fan girlfriend to the end. He fell down, fell down, fell down, fell down the road, slept.

At 02.00 pm Today (21 kor . ) Staff Center, rescue radio, sawang wrong, mueang cuddle, Pattaya with police officer. The City of cuddle, a, checked the motorcycle accident, crashed, collapsed, injured, born on the road, ascent to khao Phra Palace. Nong Por the. Some Myung. Chonburi.

The scene found a 22-Year-old miss star, the the, injured in the side of the forest, the side of the road, there was a scratch on the side of the body, also found a foreign tourist, unknown name, British Nationality, had a broken wound on the Have done first aid before moving the injured. Send a hospital nearby. 30 meters away. Found motorcycle Honda Click Black. Plate 1, 1761, Chonburi, sleep, fall down.

According to the inquiry, the person who saw the wounded took the girlfriend in the back of the motorcycle, drove down, he came at a speed, then the car went off, fell down, fell down, fell down to the back of the body, the one in the back of the motorcycle, The engine slipped down, so he rushed to call the authorities.

Looks like two friends with two girls.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2018 at 7:04 AM, sawadee1947 said:

I would think the Brit got brain problems prior to the accident. Wanted to show what a tough driver he is...... on a Honda click ? ....

Or the brakes were not working..... as usual excuse...

I heard he was Irish Australian. The British drive on the left and have a lot less accidents than other nationalities. Also they come from  country where responsible driving is the norm, drunk driving is frowned on and test standards are high too. But I guess there will always be a chip on shoulder Aussie to wave the inferiority flag by racist stereotyping. They are the minority. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

not obsessed however, keep being given unsolicited conflicting information...right from the very first time that the topic was posted. If you know so much why don't you tell everyone what the story is, my friend?

I guess all information here  is unsolicited as are your comments. Read my post for the rationale behind my opinion. Dont give a Rats Ass either way.  Its an opinion and an educated guess.

9 hours ago, The manic said:

I heard he was Irish Australian. The British drive on the left and have a lot less accidents than other nationalities. Also they come from  country where responsible driving is the norm, drunk driving is frowned on and test standards are high too. But I guess there will always be a chip on shoulder Aussie to wave the inferiority flag by racist stereotyping. They are the minority. 

They also drive on the left.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ndfdjnd said:

How do you know that?

Hand your licence in.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, The manic said:

Oh, if he is Irish, all my apologies.