Storm of feathers as Bangkok pigeons feel the heat

snoop1130

Storm of feathers as Bangkok pigeons feel the heat

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

image-12-696x463.png

Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — The high-flying days may be drawing to an end for Bangkok’s pigeons, but their friends in the north continue flying – and eating – free.

A day after the government declared war on pigeons, a vet team Friday was testing bird poop for disease at a west Bangkok temple while about 100 were rounded up for quarantine. While City Hall made a display of diligence following the prime minister’s orders, other localities seemed less urgent.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/09/21/storm-of-feathers-as-bangkok-pigeons-feel-the-heat/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-9-21

Birds should be free to fly

but unelected Bangkok Governor Aswipe hiding behind Mr P and Suthep is turning Bangkok into a concrete mess,of chinese immigrants devoid of trees, birds and anyone who wants to buy whitening cream. What a waste of tax payers resources to deny birds freedom. This lot make the neo-conservatives/mormons in the US look like Mother Theresa

Edited by humbug
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

While field or specially raised pigeons are safe to eat, whereas others are not, it is always better to conduct research into matters of concern before putting fingers to a keyboard.  Pigeons are dangerous and I have known about diseases dangerous to humans that are carried by pigeons for many years from when I was a falconer.  People who feed these birds in areas which many people use do not realise the danger they put everybody in.  Pigeons in cities serve no useful function.  Please do some research before posting.

According to Medical News Today, the most common pathogens which can cause disease transmitted from pigeons to humans are:

• E. coliThis occurs when bird droppings land in a water or food supply and are then consumed by humans. This can typically be avoided by washing food thoroughly before eating. Symptoms include nausea, fever and cramps.
  • St. Louis encephalitis. This disease is spread by mosquitoes after they feed on a bird that carries the pathogen that spreads St. Louis encephalitis. This inflammation of the nervous system is dangerous to all age groups, but can be particularly dangerous and even fatal in adults over 60 years old. Symptoms include drowsiness, headache and fever.
  • Histoplasmosis. This respiratory disease occurs as a result of a fungus growing in pigeon droppings and can be fatal.
  • Candidiasis. This disease is also a respiratory condition caused by a fungus or yeast found in droppings. The areas affected include skin, mouth, the respiratory system, intestines and the urogenital tract, particularly in women.
  • Salmonellosis. This disease is commonly called "food poisoning" and spreads via infected droppings turning into dust and contaminating food and food preparation surfaces prior to consumption.

Pigeons are also carriers of mites, fleas, and West Nile virus, all of which can cause discomfort and potentially serious health issues in humans.

'nuf sed

Makes you wonder if the pigeons where there before the city was built. If they were shouldn't the city be moved rather than the pigeons. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, berybert said:

Makes you wonder if the pigeons where there before the city was built. If they were shouldn't the city be moved rather than the pigeons. 

If you are asking a question instead of making a statement. I'm not sure....  It may imply that your sense of worth is less than that of a pigeon, of course, I don't believe that to be so. Instead I would suggest a visit any countryside area and compare the pigeon population with that of humans.

6 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

While field or specially raised pigeons are safe to eat, whereas others are not, it is always better to conduct research into matters of concern before putting fingers to a keyboard.  Pigeons are dangerous and I have known about diseases dangerous to humans that are carried by pigeons for many years from when I was a falconer.  People who feed these birds in areas which many people use do not realise the danger they put everybody in.  Pigeons in cities serve no useful function.  Please do some research before posting.

According to Medical News Today, the most common pathogens which can cause disease transmitted from pigeons to humans are:

• E. coliThis occurs when bird droppings land in a water or food supply and are then consumed by humans. This can typically be avoided by washing food thoroughly before eating. Symptoms include nausea, fever and cramps.
  • St. Louis encephalitis. This disease is spread by mosquitoes after they feed on a bird that carries the pathogen that spreads St. Louis encephalitis. This inflammation of the nervous system is dangerous to all age groups, but can be particularly dangerous and even fatal in adults over 60 years old. Symptoms include drowsiness, headache and fever.
  • Histoplasmosis. This respiratory disease occurs as a result of a fungus growing in pigeon droppings and can be fatal.
  • Candidiasis. This disease is also a respiratory condition caused by a fungus or yeast found in droppings. The areas affected include skin, mouth, the respiratory system, intestines and the urogenital tract, particularly in women.
  • Salmonellosis. This disease is commonly called "food poisoning" and spreads via infected droppings turning into dust and contaminating food and food preparation surfaces prior to consumption.

Pigeons are also carriers of mites, fleas, and West Nile virus, all of which can cause discomfort and potentially serious health issues in humans.

'nuf sed

Aren't most birds carriers of pathogens?

16 hours ago, humbug said:

Birds should be free to fly

but unelected Bangkok Governor Aswipe hiding behind Mr P and Suthep is turning Bangkok into a concrete mess,of chinese immigrants devoid of trees, birds and anyone who wants to buy whitening cream. What a waste of tax payers resources to deny birds freedom. This lot make the neo-conservatives/mormons in the US look like Mother Theresa

Pigeons carry more disease than rats. Get rid of them!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

one of my favourite pictures of me and my old man was in trafalgar square feeding the rats when i was a kid. land on your head etc, i'm still alive. there were a lot of pigeons, now there are almost none.

i'm sure all they did was ban feeding them, put spikes on landing hot spots and brought in a hawk from time to time.

i know the london underground pays hawk handlers to go to a lot of the train depots as the pigeons shit all over the trains.

obviously trafalgar square is just a small area. i'm not sure if bkk has any birds of prey? must do

london has a few families of kestrels that keep the city under check

17 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The PM should be careful. His purge on the pigeons could be a vote loser in a Buddhist country. Monks and temple dwellers love pigeons.

He should rethink this policy. Votes are more important than anything.

He has all the votes he needs. They are pointed and have full metal jackets.

3 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Pigeons carry more disease than rats. Get rid of them!

Can you share your evidence ? I'm not disputing this but I don't really see any difference. Both are carriers of pathogens and pigeons are no worse than any other bird as far as I can see. The "flying rat" myth was created as an excuse to clear Trafalgar Square all those years ago.

3 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Can you share your evidence ? I'm not disputing this but I don't really see any difference. Both are carriers of pathogens and pigeons are no worse than any other bird as far as I can see. The "flying rat" myth was created as an excuse to clear Trafalgar Square all those years ago.

that's not how i understood it.

the pigeons shit eroded the land marks in trafalgar square so they got rid of them

** you have bird shit on your car you clean it straight off,right? because it burns into the paint work.

Edited by Happy enough

Just now, Happy enough said:

that's not how i understood it.

the pigeons shit erodes the land marks in trafalgar square so they got rid of them

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2642575.stm

" Mr Livingstone wants to get rid of the pigeons because he believes they are a health hazard and create a mess in the area. "

17 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2642575.stm

" Mr Livingstone wants to get rid of the pigeons because he believes they are a health hazard and create a mess in the area. "

**** livingstone, he's a rat himself. but anyway pests need clearing up or under control.

they will get around to it here eventually, just not in my lifetime ?