Marriage Registry Questions (small amphurs, MFA process, visas)

Jen27

Good morning, everyone!

I'm new here, but have found the forums to be very helpful so reaching out for any advice or insight anyone may have. 

My fiancee and I plan to register our marriage in a few weeks when I go out to Thailand. He said this morning that his boss told him he thinks it's more difficult for farang women (that's me) than farang men to get married at the smaller amphurs and that we may have to go into Bangkok? I don't mind, but has anyone heard anything like this before? I thought it was a little odd. He doesn't know why it would be harder, just repeating what he heard. 

Re: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Certification- is it still possible to get express service, and to have my documents back the same day? I really don't want to waste time in the city by myself, since I'll only be in the country a week this time around. Does anyone remember if the lines are incredibly long? I'm thinking of asking my fiancee to go to that office super early and get on line while I go to the US Embassy for the affidavit, although he'd have to miss work for that so it's not ideal. 

If it would save time over there, I do have a Thai friend here who could translate the affidavit and other documents for me ahead of time...will that work, or do I need the name of the officer who helped me at the Embassy in Thai, as well? 

Finally, U.S. citizens don't need a visa if we're entering for 30 days or fewer, but I'm wondering if it might benefit me to get one this time around, even though it's not technically necessary. Any thoughts on that? Or is the stamp ok? 

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much and I appreciate your help. ????   

Jen 

25 minutes ago, Jen27 said:

If it would save time over there, I do have a Thai friend here who could translate the affidavit and other documents for me ahead of time...will that work, or do I need the name of the officer who helped me at the Embassy in Thai, as well? 

No, it needs an official translator on their list, or it will be rejected.

Every Amphur office makes up their own rules (as they go along), some are happy to marry foreigners, some make it very hard, if not impossible. The easiest way is for both of you to call into a few Amphur offices together and ask nicely if they are happy to marry you, and what paperwork/people they want.

I have never heard of it being more difficult for a Thai man to register a marriage to foreign woman at an Amphoe.

Express service is still available. Procedure is here in Thai and english (click to enlarge). http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/71860-ขั้นตอนการรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร---Legalization-Proc.html

I don't recall any reports of the lines being long at Department of Consular Affairs for legalization services.

I don't think you would be able to do the affidavit and get to the Department of Consular Affairs before the 09:30 cutoff time for express service since the earliest appointments for notarial services is 08:30 dependent upon the day of the week you want to do it.

Unless your friend is very good at doing the translation you might have a problem. You might even have a problem getting it certified without being done by a translation service. Most translation services would have a template so that they could have most of the translation done before you give the affidavit to them to have the consular officers name translated.

You could do it all with a 30 day visa exempt entry. There is no requirement for you to have a visa.

Should be no problem at the Amphur for you both. As long as your documentation is in order. Have you made your appointment at the US embassy yet? Don't forget you need a copy of your passport certified by the embassy along with your affidavit. The MFA haven't been offering an express service for some time. They won't give you a number for the que until they've checked your documents. The translations alone will take at least 2 days. I think you're going to be in BKK longer than you think. When's your next trip to LOS? 

You need to ask at the Amphur office what documents they require. Get the name of the person you speak to and don't be surprised if the requirements change when you return again. If they keep asking for extra documents, they are basically trying to dissuade you from returning.

You can get it all done in Bangkok in 1 day. Go to your embassy, get affidavit, across the road from MFA there's a translation place, and they will also organise marriage for you take you to an amphur be a witness then return and do all paper work and translation , then go across the road to MFA and submit paperwork have a quick interview and all done, took half a day but well worth it.

Thanks so much, everyone! I do have an appointment at the Embassy already...my fiancee said he's going to come with me to the MFA, so hopefully we'll be able to get things done a bit quicker than if I went on my own! 

I know things change all the time, but this does help to clarify. 

Really appreciate everyone's time in replying. ????

1 hour ago, Jen27 said:

Thanks so much, everyone! I do have an appointment at the Embassy already...my fiancee said he's going to come with me to the MFA, so hopefully we'll be able to get things done a bit quicker than if I went on my own! 

I know things change all the time, but this does help to clarify. 

Really appreciate everyone's time in replying. ????

Let us know how the process works for you.

Archived