"No, you gave me a 100 baht" says 7/11 staffer after being handed 1,000 baht

webfact

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

That was the first time in my local 7/11 in the 14 years I have lived here. I am not afraid of being ripped off but I do object to being deliberately short changed.

The next nearest 7/11 is 12 km away and the nearest Family Mart is 65 km away.

I usually check my change in ALL the shops I visit from the BigC mall, Makro down to the local shop, don't you? If you don't you will never know if you have been short changed or ripped off.

What I bought cost 136 baht and I paid with a 1,000 baht note. I received 1 x 500 note, 3 x 100 notes 4 x 1 baht coins and no 20 baht notes and the till receipt with the 2 packs of milk at 68 baht each and that I had paid with a 1,000 baht note and a balance of 864 change.

Cabin fever 

14 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I guess some people expect them all to be perfect.

There are over 10,000 7-11's in Thailand. Multiply it out I bet 100,000's of thousands people go into these stores everyday.

Thinking back I have gone to 7 probably over 1000 times here over the years and not once had them take my money.  Just the opposite I have been given too much back.  I bet that happens as often as the negative "mistakes" yet you won't hear much about it probably all the holier then thous pocket the money.

Anyway, are mistakes made?  Of course if you worked in that hectic environment would you be perfect?

Thieves?  10's of thousands of employees sure there are some.

But, the conspiracy theories that "the whole store and management are involved" seem bogus without proof.

It is what it is.  I guess if people are so afraid of being ripped off at the place find another venue.

I am sure it never happens at Family Mart.....

Ah, here's a fair minded statement.

I've only been here 7 weeks but in a 7/11 pretty much daily, and buying stuff on the streets all the time. I've been overpaid 20 baht once and that's it. I've gotten so I hardly count the change anymore, especially in front of them. Oh, I'll take a quick glance when I cash a 1000, but people have just been so honest...

I wonder if it helps that I am genuinely kind, pleasant and very respectful to everyone I meet? I don't forget that I am a guest here and I don't try to lay western values on them.

This ain't Mexico that's for sure, when I lived there it was the constant game of "there must be some mistake."

Here, folks keep trying to give me tip money back (when I do) and seem genuinely interested in sharing a little kindness. 

Thai folks mostly have mirrored the energy I've approached them with, more so than most places I've been.

And it sure wouldn't change my positive attitude were I to get shortchanged. I don't get where all the negative energy comes from on this forum.

I've encountered a few rude arrogant loud selfish jerks here in Thailand, for sure.

But they weren't Thai.

Just sayin...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happened to me yesterday at a 7-Eleven in Soi Buakhao. I paid with 1000 Baht and got the change for only 500 Baht. Above the cashier was a camera and I ask them to show me the recording. Sadly the picture quality was extremely bad and so not much was to see. I didn't get my money back. I am absolutely sure that I gave her 1000 Baht because I had a bad feeling to pay a bill of about 200 Baht with the big note. Now my feeling is even worse...

• Sad 1

I think the best way to avoid it, is saying out loud with what you are paying.

I started this some time ago, but will do everywhere anyway now.

I dont care if they think it might be stupid, but sure let them now with how much money im paying and then as well show. Taking time  for it and not just giving a note and expect they will do right,  

• Like 2

I think it is time for a body cam ????. Wrote my experience to warn others. On the other hand I paid so many times with 1000 Baht at 7 Elevens without a problem. But this time it went wrong. They tried this trick at other places without success. I got careless. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Beggar said:

think it is time for a body cam

In the future we will all have body cams on us , it will probably be a requirement from the government.  So nobody can cheat , it is the future that was predicted by George Orwell. We will all be on cameras 24/7 . 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

I think the best way to avoid it, is saying out loud with what you are paying.

I started this some time ago, but will do everywhere anyway now.

I dont care if they think it might be stupid, but sure let them now with how much money im paying and then as well show. Taking time  for it and not just giving a note and expect they will do right,  

In Manila all service staff verbally confirm the amount of money they receive. 

This seems to be endemic with staff at 7/11 stores. I had the same scam pulled on me at a local 7/11 and I watched what she did when I paid her with a 1000 baht note. When she said that I had only given her 100 baht, I went behind the counter and low and behold, there was my note on the shelf under the cash drawer!!