Japanese tourist, 62, drowns at Karon Beach

webfact

Japanese tourist, 62, drowns at Karon Beach

By The Phuket News

1537762231_1-org.jpg

The man was pulled from the sea at Karon Beach at around 4:45pm on Saturday (Sept 22). Photo: The Phuket News / File

PHUKET: It has been confirmed that a 62-year-old Japanese tourist drowned at Karon Beach on Saturday (Sept 22).

An officer from Karon Police, who declined to be named, confirmed to The Phuket News this morning, “A tourist drowned at Karon Beach at about 4:45pm on Saturday (Sept 22). He was a Japanese national aged 62 and his name is Nobuhiko Suzuki.”

An official from Karon Municipality, who also declined to be named, added, “I checked with lifeguards who were on duty at Karon Beach on Sept 22 and they advised me that the tourist’s family found him floating face down in the water so they brought him to shore.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/japanese-tourist-62-drowns-at-karon-beach-68737.php#Xsr6OJsD0wvj8X1W.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-9-21

I don't know if it's my imagination, or do there seem to be more reports of drownings in Phuket recently?

Is it since the original lifeguards were sacked and a new group (now involved in a corruption scandal) took over, with virtually no equipment and untrained lifeguards?

Is there is someone with details about the number of 'beach/sea accidents' recently compared to in the past? A genuine question.

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I don't know if it's my imagination, or do there seem to be more reports of drownings in Phuket recently?

Is it since the original lifeguards were sacked and a new group (now involved in a corruption scandal) took over, with virtually no equipment and untrained lifeguards?

Is there is someone with details about the number of 'beach/sea accidents' recently compared to in the past? A genuine question.

It's possible that the new tourist markets here, Eg. Chinese, Indian, Middle Eastern, and some Russian, are traditionally not strong and experienced swimmers in the ocean, or even in a swimming pool, and I do not say that in a racist way. 

Mostly likely the lack of availability of facilities and nature (beach) and coaching in the sport of swimming, in such countries.   

When you dissect the drowning statistics in the Phuket area, it seems just as many foreigners drown in their resort swimming pools, or in the sheltered waters of offshore islands while coral viewing, than at the sometimes dangerous west coast beaches.

Of course the lifeguard fiasco and untrained boat crews don't help the situation, but it really comes down to each individual to use some self preservation, common sense.

• Like 2

I wonder if all those foreigners getting drowned, knows how to swim. If you cant then be very aware of your disability.

Mostly you hear about Chinese and now Japan?

Swimming, water is nice, but you cant breath in water, know how to handle yourself and know about the water where you are swimming in. Its sad.

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I've been seeing reports of drownings in Phuket for MANY years, and with regular occurrence each year
IMHO nothing to do with lifeguard shenanigans
Other members will be able to confirm or deny either way

• Thanks 1

I like to compare to Bondi in Australia.

It can also be dangerous with surf, rocks and rips putting the inexperienced in danger. It too has many tourists from countries such as China, Japan, Malaysia and the Middle East who frequently find themselves in trouble in the water.

The difference is that they have professional lifesavers continually watching and alert to a swimmer in trouble, and able to effect rescue very quickly. Most are returned to shore distressed, but able to walk away.

In Phuket they are often comatose when dragged in (or wash up several days later) and clumsy attempts are made to perform CPR. Lifesavers in Australia are highly trained in resuscitation and even have defibrillators available.

In the past they have offered their time, expertise and even equipment, to help train locals as they have done in Bali, but it seems this doesn't fit the Thai business model.

• Like 1