Need advice

I have a new US passport. Is it necessary or required to transfer my visa from the old passport to the new one? Or, is it ok to just fly to K.L. and back and get the usual 90 day tourist visa on arrival (without first transferring the visa from old passport to new passport)?

Visas are not transferred. Immigration only transfers stamps they have done.

If you only have a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry can show both passports on departure from the country to have your stamps transferred.

48 minutes ago, rickray said:

Or, is it ok to just fly to K.L. and back and get the usual 90 day tourist visa on arrival (without first transferring the visa from old passport to new passport)?

You cannot get a 90 day tourist visa on entry. You can only apply for a tourist visa at a embassy or consulate.

You can get a 30 day visa exempt entry when entering the country.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Visas are not transferred. Immigration only transfers stamps they have done.

If you only have a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry can show both passports on departure from the country to have your stamps transferred.

You cannot get a 90 day tourist visa on entry. You can only apply for a tourist visa at a embassy or consulate.

You can get a 30 day visa exempt entry when entering the country.

Thanks and sorry I should have clarified that I have a non-immigrant B visa, but don't want to continue with that in my new passport. Thus, I just wondered if it's ok to leave and come back without having the visa transferred. And I only want to get the 90 days on arrival when I come back (not a visa, as you correctly stated).

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

4 hours ago, rickray said:

Thanks and sorry I should have clarified that I have a non-immigrant B visa, but don't want to continue with that in my new passport. Thus, I just wondered if it's ok to leave and come back without having the visa transferred. And I only want to get the 90 days on arrival when I come back (not a visa, as you correctly stated).

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Regardless of your current permission to stay, and associated visa, I am still confused about what you are looking for on your return. If you have an unexpired multiple entry Non B, you can get a 90-day stay in your new passport by showing the visa in your old passport. There will be no need to transfer anything. If, on the other hand, you have an extension of stay on the basis of working, and a re-entry permit, there is no fresh 90-day entry. You can either use the re-entry permit (keeping the existing permission to stay and extension intact) or enter without a visa/re-entry permit and receive a visa exempt entry, assuming you qualify, which is for 30-days for most nationals.

If my explanation above does not answer your questions, please ensure you know the difference between "visa", "permission to stay", "extension of permission to stay" and "re-entry permit" and explain clearly what you have now, and what you want after leaving and reentering Thailand.