Bangkok’s Evicted Birds Likely To Just Fly Back: Biologist

webfact

Bangkok’s Evicted Birds Likely To Just Fly Back: Biologist

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

28484-696x433.jpg

Pigeons take flight Tuesday in Buriram city.

BANGKOK — City Hall is pushing forward the mass eviction of its pigeon population despite doubts it is effective, including one expert who points out they’ll just fly back.

Deputy Gov. Taweesak Lertprapan on Monday said signs have been put up telling people not to feed the birds as livestock crews scour pigeon-plagued spots, and a mere 200 Bangkok pigeons have been transported to facilities outside of town in a bid to reduce their numbers.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/09/25/bangkoks-evicted-birds-likely-to-just-fly-back-biologist/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-09-26

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Interesting photo in the first link:

image.png.d28fce3904d3e8fa9533cd0f0f566710.png

Monk Feeding Pigeons

I assume it's not a typo in the caption, and there's not a hyphen to make it "Monk-Feeding Pigeons"?

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Pigeon jail?

Are you kidding me?

Good point. Pigeon jail should be a last resort. In the meantime just Article 44 all those pesky gomers into inactive posts and give them a chance to adjust their attitudes and reform themselves.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Haha 2

As a former Pest control expert of near on 20 years of expeirience,this is a waste of time i have tried everything with both pigeons and Mynah birds,baiting and trapping,proofing,shooting well sure inside a big warehouse you will bag a few but not all,in the end i mostly turned down bird work,except for the odd proofing of roofs,it was just not worth the time for the price.

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, I wonder why nobody thought of that :whistling:

The real solution:-

• Stop feeding the beasties.
  • Pigeon pie.

Good idea - growing up in the depths of the country side , as a child we ate a lot of wood pigeons- my favourite- casserole with red wine , button mushrooms and onions . They cost nothing - from the local farmers ( but you always looked out for a bit of lead shot ) - simpler times - city pigeons don’t make a good pie ? 

As a retired falconer, first, in England then in Canada, may I say that many of us do, or used to, fly falcons, never hawks, at airports to control other birds.  The idea was to prevent bird strikes on aircraft especially during take-offs and landings.  While the Harris's Hawk will deter pigeons a better preventative is the use of falcons which attack and kill the pigeons.  In so doing, other birds leave the area, including sparrows, etc., and tend to stay away.  Some people put dummy owls in their gardens to deter something, maybe rats or ice, and the like but those contraptions are useless against birds because owls do not generally kill or eat birds unless their circumstances are such that there is nothing else available and it is after dusk when birds are usually roosting.

'nuf sed