How Long For Retirement Visa Application

Hi,

I am British, 53 years old and currently have a multiple Non immigrant B visa and a work permit.

I will be finishing my job at the end of October and want to convert to a retirement visa.

Can you please confirm the following:

1) Can I convert directly from a Non Immigrant B to a retirement Visa?

2) How long does the process take as I need to fly to the UK asap after I finish work on October 31st for a 2 week trip?

3) How many trips to the immigration department will it take?

Many thanks.

John

What do you actually have now? Do you currently have a multiple entry non-b visa issued by a embassy or consulate? Or do you have a extension of stay based upon working and a multiple re-entry permit issued by immigration.

1. You cannot change visa categories at immigration if you have a valid non immigrant visa. Not sure what you mean by a retirement visa since immigration does not issue them. They will issue a extension of stay based upon retirement which you may be able to apply for if you have the required financial proof.

2/3 Normally most things done at immigration are done while you wait for it to be done.

Hi Ubonjoe,

Thank you for your quick reply.

1) My Non-immigrant B visa which I currently have was issued at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Penang which was issued around 11 months ago.

2) You said "Not sure what you mean by a retirement visa since immigration does not issue them. They will issue a extension of stay based upon retirement which you may be able to apply for if you have the required financial proof."  Does this mean that if apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement that I would keep the Non-immigrant B visa going (i.e. renew it every year)? Would it not be difficult to renew a non immigrant B visa if I am not employed?

Thank you.

John

6 minutes ago, xyzabc said:

2) You said "Not sure what you mean by a retirement visa since immigration does not issue them. They will issue a extension of stay based upon retirement which you may be able to apply for if you have the required financial proof."  Does this mean that if apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement that I would keep the Non-immigrant B visa going (i.e. renew it every year)? Would it not be difficult to renew a non immigrant B visa if I am not employed?

You will be extending the current 90 day entry you have from the non-b visa for one year. Then near the end of that one year you would apply for another extension of stay at immigration.

The non-b visa will remain valid until it expires but you will not be able to use if for entry or it would cancel your extension of stay.

You need to check with your local immigration office about extending the 90 day entry from your non-b visa. They may say that you need to go out for a non-o visa to apply for the extension based upon retirement.

Just one more question....

Are they really strict about having the 800,000 Baht in the account for 3 months?

A few years ago when I was on a Non O Guardian visa (for my daughter who had Thai nationality) I just put the money (400K) in the day before and they never picked up on it. Not sure if they are more strict for the retirement requirement?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, xyzabc said:

A few years ago when I was on a Non O Guardian visa (for my daughter who had Thai nationality) I just put the money (400K) in the day before and they never picked up on it. Not sure if they are more strict for the retirement requirement?

For the extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai there is no requirement for the 400k baht to be in the bank for any amount of time. For an extension based upon retirement there is a requirement to be in the bank for 60 days (first extension of a visa entry) or 3 months.

xyzabc,

a couple of years ago I did exactly what you plan to do, with Chiang Mai immigration. I was able to cancel the work permit (city hall), then go to immigration and do both the one year extension based on retirement and the multiple-rentry on the same day.

I did this with an agent, I think I paid 3 or 4k extra but it was well spent in my opinion because they not only save you time in queues, but especially they checked that all the requirements were satisfied. Very smooth sailing.

Of course, if you are going for retirement then you need the 800k seasoning. But as I read you might do it as a parent.

Careful: the new extension must be applied on the same day that the work permit is cancelled, because after that you are technically on overstay.

I can't say about offices other than CM but they should be ok too to do everything on the same day.

Good luck.

Edited by arithai12