Is it possible to transfer to a non b work visa from a non o marriage visa without getting divorced?

By Marriage Visa, do you mean a Non Imm O ME obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate, or an extension based on marriage obtained from your local Immigration office.

You don't need a Non B Visa to legally work in Thailand if Married to a Thai.

Your HR only needs to apply for the Work Permit.

Edited by Tanoshi

53 minutes ago, stevymac said:

My hr at my job said I would have to get divorced and cancel my marriage visa but I don’t think this is correct

You apparently are on an extension of stay based upon marriage not a visa. Getting divorced would be the only way immigration could cancel your  extension. The only other way is leaving and re-entering the country without a re-entry permit.

This appears to be another case of an employer not being aware that you can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage.

10 minutes ago, stevymac said:

Ok I’m on an extension based on marriage. No longer with wife want to change to a non b with my work but their saying I need to cancel my non o first is this correct?

11 minutes ago, stevymac said:

I have work permit already connected to my non o visa but want to change to a non b preferably without going through all the divorce signing and Crap

You cannot have your extension cancelled by immigration. I am sure you do not have a valid non-o visa to cancel.

As I wrote before you could leave the country without having a re-entry permit and your extension would no longer be valid since it would end when you enter the country. You could apply for a non-b visa while out of the country.

1 hour ago, stevymac said:

Ok I’m on an extension based on marriage. No longer with wife want to change to a non b with my work but their saying I need to cancel my non o first is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Your no longer on a Non Imm O Visa, which expired on the 'enter before' date. Your on an annual extension of your permission to stay based on marriage. That can only be cancelled by exiting and re-entering the Country, provided you don't have a valid re-entry permit.

Your HR are obviously aware that you can obtain a WP on your current extension as you state you already have a WP.

It appears you want to change to a Non B because of the separation with your wife.

Reading between the lines, you have a re-entry permit, so your HR is advising that the only way to immediately end this extension is by divorce.

Once divorced your extension becomes invalid because the reason for it's issuance (marriage) is null and void.

When does our current extension expire, i.e. Permitted to stay until …………… (date).?

Do you have a single or multiple re-entry permit?

For clarification:

Visa = "Obtained at a Consulate Outside Thailand" - can be single-entry or multiple-entry.

Extension = "Obtained at an Immigration Office Inside Thailand" - requires a re-entry permit to keep it alive if leaving Thailand.

If you do not have a re-entry permit, what UJ wrote is the solution - leave Thailand w/o a re-entry permit, but carrying the paperwork for a Non-B Visa-application, apply for the Non-B at a nearby consulate, and return with it to receive a 90-day stay.  In the last 30-days of the 90-day stay, you can apply for a 1-year Extension of Stay based on Working (which ends the same day your job ends).

But, if you have a Re-Entry Permit for your current permission-of-stay, this could spoil that plan.  Do you have a re-entry permit?  A discussion below discusses canceling one:

I have a NON O ME based on marriage.

Recently started work in BKK and tried to cancel my Non O when back in Laos for my Non B. They dont do it. So i currently have 2 valid visas in my passport.

Word of caution. When coming back in with non b check they've used it. I didn't despite writing that visa number on mycard at the border, didnt check and had to drive 520km next day round trip to correct it

• Like 1