EU has more pressing priorities than Brexit - French finance minister

webfact

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

And when it comes to clothing, food and arts, no one thinks about Germany first, or at all...

Bruno, you have added a lot of interesting and, in my opinion, sound ideas on economics to this thread.

But if I may differ from you on this issue. No European country has contributed more to the European musical legacy than Germany (I'm not talking about Kraftwerk, Can and Magma, who weren't bad at all). As for food - it's a matter of taste - but Germany has preserved a pride in local food and drink varieties from Bavaria to the North which I find very yummy. As  for clothes - hmm - are we now into consumerism as a mark of civilisation? Hugo Boss rarara.

Edited by My Thai Life

29 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Bruno, you have added a lot of interesting and, in my opinion, sound ideas on economics to this thread.

But if I may differ from you on this issue. No European country has contributed more to the European musical legacy than Germany (I'm not talking about Kraftwerk, Can and Magma, who weren't bad at all). As for food - it's a matter of taste - but Germany has preserved a pride in local food and drink varieties from Bavaria to the North which I find very yummy. As  for clothes - hmm - are we now into consumerism as a mark of civilisation? Hugo Boss rarara.

I think German food is great. Especially the breads. And the wurst and the other coldcuts. In fact, the more I think about it, the more items I can come up with. And they also make lots of first-rate wines. And of course the beer. Germans have nothing to apologize for when it comes to cuisine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I think German food is great. Especially the breads. And the wurst and the other coldcuts. In fact, the more I think about it, the more items I can come up with. And they also make lots of first-rate wines. And of course the beer. Germans have nothing to apologize for when it comes to cuisine.

Are you serious?

The world could easily cope without German cuisine, and beers. Many other European countries do it better.

They do do good Xmas markets though....

Edited by Jip99

59 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Are you serious?

The world could easily cope without German cuisine, and beers. Many other European countries do it better.

They do do good Xmas markets though....

Thanks for reminding me of stollen and German marzipan. And their gingerbread which traditionally was made with rye flour. A lot more interesting than the Anglo Saxon version.

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

Thanks for reminding me of stollen and German marzipan. And their gingerbread which traditionally was made with rye flour. A lot more interesting than the Anglo Saxon version.

I fear my praise for German grub may be taking us off track. Given that the Angles and Saxons were/are Germanic....

Actually  I always felt in my working in Germany that essentially the culture was so similar (to British culture):  we should create a new union - Germans for the more rule-based process side, the British for the creative side, and of course the marvellous Dutch in the middle - more pragmatic than even the Brits.

We 3 nations could take over the world - oops!

Just now, My Thai Life said:

I fear my praise for German grub may be taking us off track. Given that the Angles and Saxons were/are Germanic....

Actually  I always felt in my working in Germany that essentially the culture was so similar (to British culture):  we should create a new union - Germans for the more rule-based process side, the British for the creative side, and of course the marvellous Dutch in the middle - more pragmatic than even the Brits.

Actually, to go even further off the track, traditional British food using good quality ingredients is also great. What happened is that after WW2, and given the decline in purchasing power of the Brits, cheap ingredients were substituted for proper ones. Actually, traditional UK food done properly has long had a revival which doesn't stop the cheap jokes made at its expense. 

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Actually, to go even further off the track, traditional British food using good quality ingredients is also great. What happened is that after WW2, and given the decline in purchasing power of the Brits, cheap ingredients were substituted for proper ones. Actually, traditional UK food done properly has long had a revival which doesn't stop the cheap jokes made at its expense. 

I agree, but what is traditional British food? I used to dine occasionally at Rules in Covent Garden - it describes itself as the oldest restaurant in London, and features in one of Daniel Craig's Bond movies - how dare he sit at my favourite table!

Dublin oysters and soda bread - that was poor Irish food during the famine - now in fashionable posh gobs in London. Plus ca change.

2 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Throw in the Belgians for their mayonnaise, beer and chocolate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

I remember reading that Berhnard Langer, the famous German golfer, was like a flower grown from a heap of manure (the rest of the German golfer population).

Something similar could be said regarding Hugo Boss...

Meanwhile, bread, sausages and beer are not cuisine, just products.

If one asks wealthy and well educated people all over the world where they want to have a fine dinner and get tailor made clothes, Germany is unlikely to come to their mind.

When it comes to arts, Germany certainly contributed a lot to classical music, in the same way that it brougt a major contribution to physics in the early 20th century...but that was long ago.

Today's Germans are lucky heirs who, one must admit, have made good use of their inheritance, but have not shown much creativity.

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

I remember reading that Berhnard Langer, the famous German golfer, was like a flower grown from a heap of manure (the rest of the German golfer population).

Something similar could be said regarding Hugo Boss...

Meanwhile, bread, sausages and beer are not cuisine, just products.

If one asks wealthy and well educated people all over the world where they want to have a fine dinner and get tailor made clothes, Germany is unlikely to come to their mind.

When it comes to arts, Germany certainly contributed a lot to classical music, in the same way that it brougt a major contribution to physics in the early 20th century...but that was long ago.

Today's Germans are lucky heirs who, one must admit, have made good use of their inheritance, but have not shown much creativity.

in between sausages  and sauerkraut they some pretty decent cars and bikes

pretty clever in mathematics too

• Like 1

Another French "ostrich politician" who wants to believe France actually runs the EU and is an ascending economic and world power. Sad really, for the French people. Their politicians are as deluded as the British, German, American.................... etc etc etc.

• Like 1