Email address and password hacked - need advise

Sheryl

On 9/26/2018 at 5:41 PM, Sheryl said:

they got my email address and password from some website

Sheryl you are such a good person and you have helped me many times here on TV I just want you to know if you find out where these guys are I will go and kill them for you.

No charge.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, Sheryl said:

It lists me as having been pwned from 6 sites. 1 of this is apparently an amalgamation from numerous sites. 3 are sites I never went on. The other 2 are LinkedIn and Adobe.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You have answered and settled your own worries with that search.  As long as you are not NOW using any of the passwords listed on that site now you have nothing to worry about.

PS never unsubscribe or acknowledge any spam mail.  Always block or report.  If you acknowledge they know your account is active and that the Address can then be sold on.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, topt said:

Like CharlieH I had a number of these mails last month.

They have got hold of your email and password from a hack of a web site which could have happened any time in the last 5 years. I think mine came from a Linked In hack (apparently originally in 2012).

Just changing that password on the sites you have used it should be ok. It won't stop this kind of mail because once they have your email it will keep getting used.

One way to check if your email has been compromised is to go here - https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Well done topt and thanks for the info...………..found my old Hotmail email address which had been hacked a while back, so after getting mysterious emails I then changed my email address and passwords.

Had no problems since. ????

Turns out a got another similiar email yesterday, I didn't catch it then as it went to my junk folder. Not as cleverly done, doesn't come through looking like sent from my email nor claim to have hacked into my computer, just mentions having my password (same one). Asked for considerably more money than the 1st nonetheless and seems to have come from China.

For what it is worth I have reported the bitcoin addresses on https://bitcoinwhoswho.com/

That was the only site I found for reporting scams involving bitcoin.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:22 PM, NCC1701A said:

Sheryl you are such a good person and you have helped me many times here on TV I just want you to know if you find out where these guys are I will go and kill them for you.

No charge.

Sheryl is of course a helpful person, but to use that wording, if you find out where these guys are I will go and kill them for you', I would suggest you grow up.

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Sheryl is of course a helpful person, but to use that wording, if you find out where these guys are I will go and kill them for you', I would suggest you grow up.

I was joking. thank you for your suggestion. 

and by the way, I am about two blocks from their house right now. I'll let you know how it goes.   

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I was joking. thank you for your suggestion. 

and by the way, I am about two blocks from their house right now. I'll let you know how it goes.   

too late.....I dealt with them yesterday,keep away as the police are on the scene as I,m typing :thumbsup:

On 9/27/2018 at 1:33 PM, Sheryl said:

My internet provider is ToT and they could care less to put it mildly.

How exactly do I go about checking the access of my router? (I do have wifi).

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

While connected to your wifi open your internet browser, in the address bar type :

192.168.1.1 and press ENTER

You should have a login page displayed then, by default it should be : admin / tot or admin / password or admin / admin

So login = admin and password either "tot" or "admin" or "password"

Then somewhere in the interface you should have a "management" tab in which you can change your admin password.

BUT like it was said earlier, 99% sure it's spoofing and they haven't hacked anything.

What software or "online interface" are you using to check your emails ? Hotmail ? yahoo ? Outlook ? gmail ?

So i can explain you how to check for sure if it's a spoofing.

33 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

While connected to your wifi open your internet browser, in the address bar type :

192.168.1.1 and press ENTER

You should have a login page displayed then, by default it should be : admin / tot or admin / password or admin / admin

So login = admin and password either "tot" or "admin" or "password"

Then somewhere in the interface you should have a "management" tab in which you can change your admin password.

BUT like it was said earlier, 99% sure it's spoofing and they haven't hacked anything.

What software or "online interface" are you using to check your emails ? Hotmail ? yahoo ? Outlook ? gmail ?

So i can explain you how to check for sure if it's a spoofing.

Doesn't look anything like "admin / tot or admin / password or admin / admin"

It has an upper section called "Internet Connection Type" which has  a user name XXXX@fttxhome, that is a TOT address, and then a password unknown to me, presumably installed by the ToT guy.

Below that is a section "WIFI Setup" and this shows the name of my wifi network and my wifi password. The computer admin password does not show and there is no reference to admin...but this looks like the same setup the toT guy installed.

there are other tabs on that page but none of them show computer admin password or reference admin.

I use Apple Mail. I have already checked the headers and verified that the email originated elsewhere.

thanks

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Doesn't look anything like "admin / tot or admin / password or admin / admin"

It has an upper section called "Internet Connection Type" which has  a user name XXXX@fttxhome, that is a TOT address, and then a password unknown to me, presumably installed by the ToT guy.

Below that is a section "WIFI Setup" and this shows the name of my wifi network and my wifi password. The computer admin password does not show and there is no reference to admin...but this looks like the same setup the toT guy installed.

there are other tabs on that page but none of them show computer admin password or reference admin.

I use Apple Mail. I have already checked the headers and verified that the email originated elsewhere.

thanks

All right well if it's spoofing, changing your router password or email password is really not necessary,

I don't really know how TOT routers works, it seems that you are logged in as guest, you should have an "admin" or "login" section somewhere in that interface, that's where you have to try to enter the login and password that i suggested you earlier.

If not can you send me a screenshot of that page by MP ?

1 minute ago, stud858 said:

I usually reply back to them and ask how much money they want because I am rich. I continue back and forth with emails and use confusing chatter until they get frustrated and think they are being traced themselves. 

That's a must do ! Agreed !

Last year a friend received an email from a friend's spoofed email address, saying he was traveling in Africa (Ivory coast) and had a bad car accident with the wife, so and needed him to send him money ASAP to cover the medical bills.

We spent all the night speaking with him, saying we had already sent him a western union and gave him fake digits, he kept coming back and saying Western union counter declined the transfer, we kept telling him to wait a bit more, then provided some other digits, tell him to wait, changed the digits, said we will check and re-send some money again and again.

It lasted 4 hours, we couldn't stop laughing, thinking about the guy harassing the western union counter every 5 minutes for hours.

Archived