Protein powder - which is best?

Ianatlarge

2 hours ago, RichardThailand said:

Why do you feel the need to purchase protein powder?  I'm vegan and my protein levels when tested were towards the high end of the range.  I suspect if you need a supplement then you're not eating a good diet. 

Beans, soybean sprouts, peas, corn, broccoli, that are the first high protein vegetables coming to my mind. All those are available in Thailand.

• Like 1

Go with any brand that has 100% Whey protein, and nothing else. The companies like to add supplements to it to make it more expensive.

This one is available on the below link for 2200 baht, which isn't that much more than you'd pay back in Farangland. Two scoops is 40 grams of protein. For the average guy, that's pretty much the maximum that your body can process at once, so don't take more. Two scoops with milk or water (I prefer water to keep the calories down and makes it last longer if I premix it before going to the gym). Are you taking it for weightlifting or...?

https://www.muscletechthailand.com/premium-whey-protein-bottle

1 hour ago, joe999 said:

Don't know how to define "best". I've been buying and using from this place for the last 2 years:

https://www.muscletechthailand.com

Quite happy with the product. Use it 3-4 times a week, 2 scoops at one time.

Good prices and quick delivery. Can order online on their website or through line app.

What do they charge for shipping? And I don't have a bank account in Thailand and won't use a credit card, so how would I pay?

18 minutes ago, soistalker said:

What do they charge for shipping? And I don't have a bank account in Thailand and won't use a credit card, so how would I pay?

You're gonna need a bank account, preferably 2

I use Paypal linked to a bank account debit card. I keep the account topped up with with just a few thousand, just in case I take a hit. Been using this method for 10 years and no problem

10lb whey protein  = 3000 baht inc delivery from this place, and the flavour is the best I've had

https://www.phukethealthshop.com/Ultimate-Nutrition-ProStar-Whey-10-Lbs-p114969091

p.s.

Use the green or yellow banks for your debit card. Bangkok Bank has started issuing Union Pay which is about as welcome as a dose of the clap and not accepted by Paypal unless you're in China

I would recommand you to look first at all negative aspects of using whey protein from industrial factories :

https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/unexpected-side-effects-of-whey-protein/#gref

and if you are interested in getting wheight then eat accordingly for that purpose, listen to pro builers that tells you NOT to buy supplements, they did the mistake long time ago and still pay the price in their body. Please do not to listen to pros that make money on advertisment for supplements brand.

All you need is good food, if you're looking for healthy life and longevity : stay natural and avoid all marketing food suplements and ask yourself

'If whey is the waste product of the cheese-making process, why is whey protein so expensive?'

on more article to read with real warnings : https://doctor.ndtv.com/living-healthy/7-little-known-harmful-side-effects-of-whey-protein-1800618

In fact the only interresting thing is the economy some people make on FOOD, buying whey instead of chicken.. but for vegetarians eggs are cheap, and for vegan: Beans, peas, corn is cheaper than whey, so why take the risk and loose money.. think smart !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

https://www.myprotein.com/articles/international-delivery.list

Given the recent health issues with certain supplements supplied in Thailand this is a guaranteed safe product supplied from U.K./USA with all the consumer protections endemic to those countries.

The prices are good. What's the import duty on this stuff?

5 minutes ago, grumbleweed said:

The prices are good. What's the import duty on this stuff?

Like almost everything not luxury here only 7% but it applies also on delivery fare.. expensive powder that Travel through the World, not really economic and super costly for the earth.

Edited by Zendo

11 minutes ago, Zendo said:

Like almost everything not luxury here only 7% but it applies also on delivery fare.. expensive powder that Travel through the World, not really economic and super costly for the earth.

There is a Thai website reference,but the prices quoted are gross. If any package is stopped at customs and you have to pay duty My protein will credit you that amount . As you know Thai customs is a hit and miss affair so you have that backstop guaranteed.

Think about your health and how your body takes in those artificial powders.

Would only recommend Amway's protein and Garden of Life's protein. Perfectly smooth, no sandy texture, guarantee no nasty farts. Ingredients checklist, all natural beans and peas. Changed to these for years, would never ever consider another "sport protein".

Those who never tried these 2 brands, go try it. Give you a whole new perspective as to what "good" is.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:51 AM, robblok said:

The best, just a cheap whey would do.

Clubprotein.com   fitwhey.com   all good sites. 

I've been using straight up (unflavoured) WPI and WPC for 10 years in Thailand... first, it was bulk buys from Thai Sports Supplements (had to buy 20kg at the time), now from Clubprotein, getting about the same price per kilo for 1-kilo bags.

I just discovered last night that you can buy California Gold Nutrition protein cheaper than Clubprotein on iHerb, which includes shipping from the USA. Use PROTEN promo code for 10% discount until the end of the year. Robblok, they have Micellar Casein at a good price too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They are really good prices. LOL> I shop on Lazada all the time but never thought to look for protein powder. Those prices will be hard to beat anywhere.

The problem I have is that I use more than a standard serve (usually 2) to make my shakes, so if it is flavoured it becomes sickly sweet. The flavour and sweetness of flavoured/sweetened protein are tailor-made for a single serve.

3 hours ago, JacChang said:

Would only recommend Amway's protein and Garden of Life's protein. Perfectly smooth, no sandy texture, guarantee no nasty farts. Ingredients checklist, all natural beans and peas. Changed to these for years, would never ever consider another "sport protein".

Those who never tried these 2 brands, go try it. Give you a whole new perspective as to what "good" is.

You do understand that all whey protein is basically the same ?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JacChang said:

If you're going to lecture us about protein supplements, we could do without the Amway plug. Just the name Amway puts me off without knowing anything about the formula.

What you should do is explain why you think it's good. What benefits are you getting compared to other formulas you've tried? How do you determine your benefits? "Try it - you'll like it - I guarantee it", doesn't cut it. We need scientific information.

WPI and WPC are pure supplements made from the whey part of whole milk. Same with Casein which is made from the curds of whole milk.

Whey protein is one of the best-studied supplements in the world with loads of science to back up its benefits.

Start here and learn: (there are 45 scientific studies referenced in this article to back up the claims):

10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Whey Protein

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-whey-protein#section1

5 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Dear Sir, one of the great benefits of 'low grade' protein is the ability to release fetid gas bombs upon an unwitting populace - crowded elevators being one of the more rewarding combat zones. Of course, one is always asked the inevitable question - "how do you keep a straight face , thus avoiding detection?" Simple! One bites down on a piece of lime as the foul fumes are released - and it works like a charm.image.jpeg.95577aff1018d51eb2973f32a6314eaa.jpeg

I never get gas from WPC or WPI no matter how much I consume. I know from my younger years that pure free form amino acids caused vile gas release. I would have to leave the area myself LOL. I know some formulas claim to have free form amino acids added in, which could be the cause of some people's problem.

Some people could also be lactose intolerant, in which case WPI or WPH could be a better choice.

This reminds me of a 3-hour flight I took once. A guy in the aisle in front was letting off bombs every 10 minutes or so for the duration of the flight. It was the worst flight of my life. He was a bodybuilder, so I suspected he was talking amino acids. It was really funny seeing other passengers pretend they couldn't smell it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

No need at all to use a protein powder, get your protein from food.

I agree with you on this but most of the population has lived there lives being educated by advertising from food, dairy and supplement companies into thinking they need additional protein that can only be obtained through buying processed products. Many comments on this thread are very much a reflection of what people have had drilled into them by the media and large corporations over many years.  Reminds me of the advertisements that used to promote the benefits of smoking many years ago. 

• Haha 1