Fish farming in concrete barrels

xerostar

my gf has come up with yet another "wonderful idea" to make money !

She has purchased about 20 concrete barrells and intends to grow catfish.

She does not know the first thing about this sort of farming.

Can anybody offer some advice or tips to help her at least lose our (my) money more slowly ?

Problem is the cost of feed/pellets.  In barrels you will need to do constant water changes as well.  When the water gets dirty (3 or 4 days) they eat less so grow slower.  We gave up and now only do pla nin (tilapia) in small concrete pond and tanks (3 x 2 mt) with pumps and filters etc.  We dont make any money with power/feed costs but it puts fish on the table once a week and some for friends etc.  I think you have to go big to make any money.

Don't knock your GF too much (excuse the phrase) but in our local hatchery they do indeed keep cat fish in large diameter pipes. They rear them from about 1 cm fingerlings to around 4cm long it appears. Then they are sold to buyers wishing to stock their ponds.  Depending on the numbers of stock you may well have to consider adequate aeration to keep them healthy. 

I'm not trying to be a smartar$e, nor am I trying to tell you what to do, but based on your cynical description of your partner's project, may I suggest that you reduce/suspend the flow of financial backing for such endeavors? 

I was in a similar situation with my missus years ago. Turned that tap off after the umpteenth useless, money wasting "my friend make good money doing this" project... 

Entrepreneurism is good, but common sense is better. 

Edited by djayz

13 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Don't knock your GF too much (excuse the phrase) but in our local hatchery they do indeed keep cat fish in large diameter pipes. They rear them from about 1 cm fingerlings to around 4cm long it appears. Then they are sold to buyers wishing to stock their ponds.  Depending on the numbers of stock you may well have to consider adequate aeration to keep them healthy. 

yes i know of people who do this on a contract basis for large agri company, some do well others loose money.... the ph level of the water is very important.