Thai universities drop in world rankings

webfact

On 9/27/2018 at 12:41 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Well if you don’t understand the internal racism of Thailand you haven’t lived there long enough.

So when me and Mrs G moved to Thailand from Singapore and got married she went off with her sister to buy a wedding dress in Bangkok. 

Now, she’s a Material Scientist graduate from the University of Chicago, and probably smarter than 80% of the Thai population, certainly smarter than me!

But she’s very clearly Lao.

They went to a rather upscale store to look for her wedding dress. The probably thick as pig shit shop girl actually demanded to look at her hands to check she wasn’t a farmer!

Yeah there’s internal racism

That is classism, not racism. Nice anecdote though.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

That is classism, not racism. Nice anecdote though.

If you speak Thai, don't forget the facebook post that went viral and was featured on Thai TV for days last Songkran, when some guy posted how clean the air was in Bangkok now all the Lao people had gone home to Isaan!

It’s totally racism, as sad as I am to say that.

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 7:57 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

I have told this story several times on TVF, but it is still very pertinent.

Years ago I saw an interview with the late Lee Kwan Yew (spelling) where he was asked if he worried for Singapore's future in relation to her much bigger and much more resource-laden neighbours. Mr. Lee smiled, looked into the camera, and said "what are their education systems like?"

A country's future prosperity is directly related to the proficiency of its current education system, and it is clear that Thailand's future is not going to go well. 

How much more evidence is needed? Effective Education reform is the single greatest need for the Kingdom of Thailand, and the current Education system is the single greatest strategic threat to its future prosperity.

Reform now, or watch your neighbours fly past you on their way to a prosperous future.

It is one or the other...

Literally.

You are so correct - no dispute.

BUT poor education is a control tool of the elite (backed by the military) who do not want to be challenged for power and control of the Kingdom! :sad: