Royal Enfield again

findlay13

I better edit [emoji106].I've dropped about 8 kgs so I am slightly less hideous than before too[emoji13]
Don't know what's going on I can edit this but not the first post. Stuff it, Mai pen rai.

Only joking mate. I like the look of the new 650 twins. Look forward to seeing them in the flesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Nickymaster said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Just read the opening paragraph "and technology that made Harley Davidson look like HRC"... nice one.

Decent looking bike, decent review, but i would'nt buy one, not in that state of tune.

Shows how far technology has moved on in 50 years,

not....

You've got SOHC, 8 valves, counterbalancer, 5 speeds and LESS torque and BHP than the original model 50 (FIFTY!) years ago, which had an extra 50-100cc depending on model year, but was OHV and 4 valves, and a 4 speeder.

And was built with jigs & fixtures on knackered machine tools by a bloke called 'arry with a Woodbine out the corner of his mouth. No CNC, no CAD, no dynamic balancing machines that can balance a crank to within a gram of it's life. The last bit about dynamic crankshaft balancing is a lie, as Enfield were the only factory using one on their twins up to the factory's demise.

Yeah i know emissions, emissions, but.

And really guys, 650cc, 270 degree crank (which in reality is the same as a 90 degree vee with your eyes closed), do we really need a counterbalancer? Or is everyone just gay and so PC these days?

In case anyone is vaguely interested, just have a look (Google is your friend) at the original Royal Enfield Constellations (Connie in affectionate short-speak) and the later Interceptors. Stunning motorcycles for their time, probably only bettered by the Norton Commando for fast road work and short circuit racing, and definetely amongst the best of Britain's twins.

I bought recently the Royal Enfield Classic 500 for 198.000 THB. 

It's a lot of bike for that money, nice torque compared to it's 500cc competitors.

The 650cc was not in the shop but I was going especially for the 500. Lots of chrome and the old style.

I had as youngster the BSA Royal star which looks fully like the Enfield 650..  

royal-enfield-classic-500-competitors-1024x576.jpg

I like many things about the Enfield, especially the low-tech, fix with a knife and fork, but one thing I could never live with, the vibration over 50mph that I hear so much about. I need to do 70mph on my European bike, I rode my mate's '79 Bonny at that speed and that was really nice.

My 400cc Honda Shadow has a bit of vibration, which is just tollerable, any more would drive me nuts.

I started one up in Udon Thani earlier this year, got straight back in my truck. A Thai friend of mine has one now and will have a go, see if I am wrong.

Saw a Youtube video of a dealer explaining why REs cost 3 times the amount in NZ...mmmm.

7 minutes ago, AllanB said:

I like many things about the Enfield, especially the low-tech, fix with a knife and fork, but one thing I could never live with, the vibration over 50mph that I hear so much about. I need to do 70mph on my European bike, I rode my mate's '79 Bonny at that speed and that was really nice.

My 400cc Honda Shadow has a bit of vibration, which is just tollerable, any more would drive me nuts.

I started one up in Udon Thani earlier this year, got straight back in my truck. A Thai friend of mine has one now and will have a go, see if I am wrong.

Saw a Youtube video of a dealer explaining why REs cost 3 times the amount in NZ...mmmm.

No doubt mate,

the vibrations are there and making the mirrors not much of a use. I had once a dyna glide and she behaved the same way but somehow that is for me the culture behind it.

Every motion is one ignition and beside hearing it also to feel it is for me as a mechanic a language for itself that tells you the engine runs round. 

My wife said its tickling her tud and so RE got a new nickname: "Bollywood Vibrator" 

It might be for some people annoying but it fits the design and style of the bike. 

Max speed is btw only 120 Km/h which making the mirrors looking like a silver plate..

The RE 500cc likes about 90-95 Km/h but with 55 of age its just fast enough for me. I had the choice for a Honda Forza or the Royal Enfield and personally made the right decision. 

More bang for the buck.. 

5 hours ago, See Will said:

No doubt mate,

the vibrations are there and making the mirrors not much of a use. I had once a dyna glide and she behaved the same way but somehow that is for me the culture behind it.

Every motion is one ignition and beside hearing it also to feel it is for me as a mechanic a language for itself that tells you the engine runs round. 

My wife said its tickling her tud and so RE got a new nickname: "Bollywood Vibrator" 

It might be for some people annoying but it fits the design and style of the bike. 

Max speed is btw only 120 Km/h which making the mirrors looking like a silver plate..

The RE 500cc likes about 90-95 Km/h but with 55 of age its just fast enough for me. I had the choice for a Honda Forza or the Royal Enfield and personally made the right decision. 

More bang for the buck.. 

My wife said its tickling her tud and so RE got a new nickname: "Bollywood Vibrator" ..R.E. karmasutra poition, never thought of that. As for the choice between a Forza and and RE, no contest, the Forza is aaggghhhh.

If it is good at 90-95kph that would suit my riding in Thailand too and I really do like the thump, thump.

6 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Like the bike and the retro look, but for my taste, a longer seat would be nice...

I am at the moment working offshore but this is a picture I got sent from my Nephew recently. He is always surprising me with some litte gestures like a clean bike ready for my return.

(sure he will dry it by giving it a spin and makes himself looking good by the chicks ????

The Shop in Pattaya had a special offer 5000 THB discount @ buy cash and off cause I asked for a second seat which was covered by the discount. 

IMG-20181006-WA0000.jpg

it has even two crow bars in the tool kit to lift the tire from the rim and fix the tube.

How many people still know how to do that without screwing up the rim? 

This was common practice as I was a youngster,  on the way to the disco you had a puncture, you fixed it and washed your hands on the toilet in the discotheque. 

The Saturday night wasn't spoiled..

Nowadays you try to get help on your mobile phone, the help arrives at midnight, tells you he can't fix it on the road side, calls a trailer and drives you to the workshop.

There you pay a fortune for the transport and get info that the bike will be fixed on Monday..   

royal-enfield-classic-500-battle-green-review-1.jpg

5 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

tyre levers my son, tyre levers.

You beat me to it .Many may not even know what they are used for???? I never used them but I remember Dad using them on a pushbike tyre.????  "fix a flat" foam in a can came out not long after I started riding.I carried a can of that.Got me out of trouble.

3 hours ago, See Will said:

cheers for the English lesson..

I really didn't know that word as it probably doesn't get the deserved attention in German schools.. ????

Very true.???? There'd  probably be [too much] more emphasis on Arabic these days

The foam made me lazy too..

I can't remember what stuff it was I bought in a small can (not a spray can)

My Granny complained about the price and pumped some buttermilk (was it buttermilk???) in my tire and that did the magic till the next workshop.

Archived