What's more important? Treatment for my beaten up dad or a 13 digit number?

snoop1130

Thanks for the heads-up. Good to know amount requested. Over the limit for an ATM withdrawal so could cause issues for some of us.

12 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Last time I went to pattaya hospital I was doubled up in pain. 

Obviously needed admission. 

But I had to send someone to get 50,000 baht cash deposit. 

Not take credit card. 

Not claiming from insurance company. 

No pay, no stay, go away. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

In may the government hospitals changed their system, now they will do nothing without the 13 digit number.

On tuesday wife took me to the local hospital for catheter change, now being a regular going every 3 weeks, porters wheeled me in, nurses changed the catheter.

Then i was wheeled outside, 15 minutes later my wife came to the emergency room with my papers, moaning about the crazy situation having to wait, then handing over my 13 digit number just to get my papers.

Some times the nurses wont change my catheter until they have my papers meaning i can wait anything up to 2 hours.

So it looks like that poor man got the same nonsense, no action until they got his papers, bloody pathetic.

While it is unfortunate that the old guy had to wait two hours for his ID number, you have to ask why they didn't have it, most Thais carry ID or licence around with them. Not difficult to find, it is on ID, birth certificate, house registration etc.

What surprises me more is that people are on here complaining about a 2 hour wait! They want to go and sample a few more government hospitals, two hours is pretty damn good, where we are there are people that arrive at 4AM and are still waiting at 4PM, yes, Chiang Mai. The hospitals are just like the immigration service here, not enough Indians and too many Chiefs. The province also covers a massive area where there are hill tribe people having to travel hundreds of kilometres to visit the hospitals, and farangs that have to travel the same to visit immigration. Chiang Mai, the hub of overly long queues and second rate service in a third world dictatorship.

3 hours ago, Formaleins said:

While it is unfortunate that the old guy had to wait two hours for his ID number, you have to ask why they didn't have it, most Thais carry ID or licence around with them. Not difficult to find, it is on ID, birth certificate, house registration etc.

Bit of a silly comment you made!!

We did they not have his i.d. because family were rushing him for treatment, thats why.

So if you have an accident, get 7 bells kicked out of you and your family are rushing to get you treatment.......You are going to stop them, and say hang on i need my i.d. yeah i think so.:cheesy:

11 hours ago, arithai12 said:

That guy is 67?? wow.

He already got some initial care in his own house. It doesn't look like an emergency, so if he had two wait 2 hours at the hospital doesn't seem such a big deal. But if it's true that they were just waiting to put his number in a file, it would be silly indeed.

Which is exactly what the post states... when the number was given he received treatment !!!

And at age 67 he should have been at least observed for shock.. the injuries may have been non-life threatening but at that age shock can be a killer.. so your comments are to say the least un-caring !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for the heads-up. Good to know amount requested. Over the limit for an ATM withdrawal so could cause issues for some of us.

I had little options. 

I was driven there in the back of a baht bus.

I had a bit of baht handy, but had to take exchange on the chin.

Have to say, it wasnt that bad in a private room with sleep facilities for the wife.

4500 baht a night.

Three days later plus procedure and meds,35,000 baht. Including a ct scan at 14,000.

So I got cash back plus the hospital filled a couple of scripts for me. 

Everyone who came to see me said it left Bangkok Pattaya private for dead.

And much cleaner. 

They want 20,000 before admission, but will process the insurance claim.

Its about 20,000 a night in there I was told..

Presumably a comment from someone who always has money.  Some people may normally be able to service their loan repayments properly, but then suddenly find themselves on hard times and cannot do so, at least on a temporary basis.  Obviously, none of us know the exact circumstances of this case, but this poor guy does not deserve your callous comment.  Perhaps, his daughter was unaware of his debt and was therefore not in a position to help him financially.

I definitely agree with the statement that money should not be borrowed unless it can be repaid in accordance with the loan terms, but even in Europe and America, thousands of people have lost their homes as a result of finding themselves on hard times, possibly temporarily, and unable to make the due repayments on their loan(s).  Usually, they do not get beaten up as a consequence.

Calling the guy in this case a "pathetic jerk" is uncalled for and more a reflection of you than of him.

Edited by Rimmer
quoted reply of removed troll post removed

On 9/28/2018 at 10:33 AM, Burma Bill said:

Yes, but not Government Hospitals. There are many good private hospitals throughout Thailand (besides the expensive RAM and Bangkok Hospitals) that offer excellent services such as the new Ratchaphruek Hospital in Khon Kaen. I recently attended for an operation to have a small carcinoma removed from my neck and the total cost (including biopsy) was 12,500 baht. A colleague of mine had a similar "op" in our local RAM to remove one from the side of his nose - his total cost 48,000 baht. Both operations were done under local anesthetic and we were in/out the same day.

Bangkok Hospital in Chiang Mai is very good too - very efficient no long lines. On my last consultation there was no charge as I was deemed fit again. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, colinneil said:

In may the government hospitals changed their system, now they will do nothing without the 13 digit number.

On tuesday wife took me to the local hospital for catheter change, now being a regular going every 3 weeks, porters wheeled me in, nurses changed the catheter.

Then i was wheeled outside, 15 minutes later my wife came to the emergency room with my papers, moaning about the crazy situation having to wait, then handing over my 13 digit number just to get my papers.

Some times the nurses wont change my catheter until they have my papers meaning i can wait anything up to 2 hours.

So it looks like that poor man got the same nonsense, no action until they got his papers, bloody pathetic.

"Some times the nurses wont change my catheter until they have my papers meaning i can wait anything up to 2 hours".

This has happened to you before so if you're a regular you know the process, why don't you take your papers to avoid waiting? 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, Mexlark said:

Wouldn't quibble with that, but that would then apply to the majority of Thais - including those many who flaunt their 'wealth'.

"...that would then apply to the majority of Thais - including those many who flaunt their 'wealth'".

That also applies to every other country, not just Thailand.

Edited by Just Weird

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:09 PM, dallen52 said:

Last time I went to pattaya hospital I was doubled up in pain. 

Obviously needed admission. 

But I had to send someone to get 50,000 baht cash deposit. 

Not take credit card. 

Not claiming from insurance company. 

No pay, no stay, go away. 

Which pattaya hospital [sic] refused a valid credit card or valid insurance?

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, colinneil said:

Bit of a silly comment you made!!

We did they not have his i.d. because family were rushing him for treatment, thats why.

So if you have an accident, get 7 bells kicked out of you and your family are rushing to get you treatment.......You are going to stop them, and say hang on i need my i.d. yeah i think so.:cheesy:

Bit of a silly comment you made!!  They weren't exactly rushing, the incident happened hours earlier according to the OP and he'd already had some treatment and recovered consciousness.  No at all unreasonable in a country that requires an ID card for most things to take his ID card.

Edited by Just Weird