Working in Thailand, married to a Laotian and have a son: Can I add them on my work permit?

Hello all,

this is my first post, although I have lurked daily, and I'm obviously looking for advice about my situation because I haven't seen this particular situation addressed, although it may have been previously and I just missed it.

I am a US citizen on a BOI work permit and extension of stay through Chomchuri Square in Bangkok. I got married to a Laotian girl here in Thailand, and I have a 3 year old son with her who is a US citizen. My question is this: can I get her a visa based on marriage to me so she doesn't have to continually make sketchy bus runs to Cambodia every 30 days? I know Laos and Thailand have a somewhat acrimonious relationship regarding actual Visas, as the last several times we've been in Savannakhet the Thai embassy has always denied her a tourist visa because she's Lao. If it's possible to add her to my extension, what paperwork does she need? We have our registered marriage certificate, as well as my work permit and extension stamps. Is there anything else needed? Would we have to go to Laos? If so, would it be better to attempt getting the visa in Vientiane or in Savannakhet (which is where her family et al lives)?

Additionally, is it possible to add my son without leaving the country? We have his birth certificate, as well as his passport and consular certificate of birth abroad.

I know that's a dense read, but thank you all in advance for your answers/advice.

Edited by Newbie22
Clarity

Yes you can. I'm married to a Laotian and she has been piggy-backing on my work extension since 2016, as has our British son. She'll need to get a non-Immigrant O visa first and then convert it to an Extension. You will need a legalised and certified copy of your marriage certificate and paperwork from your employer, but it's quite straightforward.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks brewsterbudgen.

Regarding paperwork from my employer, what is required? That I work there? That I'm gainfully employed?

I have the certified and legalized copy of the certificate.

And as far as my son, does he also need to get a non-Immigrant O? or is he just kind of assumed?

Thanks again!

You will a letter from your employer stating you are still working for them.

You wife and son would be applying extensions of stay based upon being members of your family.

The will both will need non-o visa entries.

If they both have valid permit to stays they could apply for the visas at immigration. See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_75

The visas and extensions for them can be done at the one stop center

Thanks brewsterbudgen.

Regarding paperwork from my employer, what is required? That I work there? That I'm gainfully employed?

I have the certified and legalized copy of the certificate.

And as far as my son, does he also need to get a non-Immigrant O? or is he just kind of assumed?

Thanks again!
The documentation from your employer is similar to what they have to supply for your Extension. We had an issue with a letter that wasn't satisfactory and had to return with the correct letter (they supplied a template for my HR department). My 2 year old had a non-O visa, issued in London; my wife had a Tourist visa but they issued her a non-O at Immigration, then processed the Extension.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1