Excess Superstition

Maybole

Superstitition, like religion, is a result of mans need to rationally explain that which cant be understood. 

I find that religious folks and superstititious folks are very at peace with themselves. 

As are astrophysicists. As yourself, oh rational product of the enlightenment, what came before the Big Bang?

• Like 2

My Thai GF has logic that makes sense, in a nutty kind of way. She won't go out in the dark by herself because she is scared of ghosts.
However, if I accompany her, she can go out. Because she knows I don't believe in ghosts, she thinks they will stay away when I am with her.
That reminds me of a Thai friend once asking me if I was afraid of ghosts. To which I answered that I wasn't, because I don't believe in them, so they don't bother me.

8 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Superstitition, like religion, is a result of mans need to rationally explain that which cant be understood. 

I find that religious folks and superstititious folks are very at peace with themselves. 

As are astrophysicists. As yourself, oh rational product of the enlightenment, what came before the Big Bang?

Before the big bang?    Easy:  I don't know. 

And I can live with that. 

I certainly won't accept fairy tales in lieu of answers. 

5 minutes ago, amexpat said:

Before the big bang?    Easy:  I don't know. 

And I can live with that. 

I certainly won't accept fairy tales in lieu of answers. 

1. Dont you ever wonder though?

2. Whats a "fairy tale"? Leptons, muons, Higgs Bosons? Isnt the Matrix a viable option?

How about Mulitverses?

Ever wonder why so many advanced Mathemeticians are wacky?

On 10/1/2018 at 10:44 AM, Nyezhov said:

Agree.  Superstition is exactly the same as religion.  Any religion.  Whether Christianity, Islam, Hindu, Jewish, Mormon, Buddhist, no difference.  So these sort of threads always baffle me.  I mean, western Christianity is basically the same as any Thai superstition. 

15 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I mean, western Christianity is basically the same as any Thai superstition. 

...... and climate change, and feminism, and health care.

All religions of a sort, just worshipping different things, and the true believers all wanting those who dissent killed or silenced.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

All religions of a sort, just worshipping different things, and the true believers all wanting those who dissent killed or silenced.

What the heck are u talking about? You believe climate change is a superstition?  Seriously?  Are you a scientist?  Rhetorical question. Perhaps u should get a clue before engaging in this conversation.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

.... and multiculturalism.

Forgot that one, and it's a very popular one these days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, with your rather harsh and thoughtless reply you have actually proven his point .

And what was his point exactly?  My point is that climate change is based on science, religion and superstition are not.  What say you? 

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

And what was his point exactly?  My point is that climate change is based on science, religion and superstition are not.  What say you? 

My point, with all the respect with science, intended as knowledge, is that we cannot take "official science" as Gospel, excuse the pun.

Just yesterday i read an article about the discovery of a new dwarf planet with an extremely elongated orbit, which is probably being 'shepherded' by a super planet. ( 10 times size of Earth)

Strange , until yesterday the theory of another giant planet was ridiculed by the 'official science"

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I regularly practice the religion of health care.  Hygiene too, praise be. And yes, I do want others to do likewise. 

Kinda like the other two also. 

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

My point, with all the respect with science, intended as knowledge, is that we cannot take "official science" as Gospel, excuse the pun.

Just yesterday i read an article about the discovery of a new dwarf planet with an extremely elongated orbit, which is probably being 'shepherded' by a super planet. ( 10 times size of Earth)

Strange , until yesterday the theory of another giant planet was ridiculed by the 'official science"

Allow me to be philosophical for just one moment.  Who are we to believe?  I tend to believe doctors, scientists, engineers, chemists, reputable journalists, etc.  There are those out there who want to believe what their "tribe" believes and will embrace any conspiracy theory that supports their narrative.  That's what I was responding to.

Going back to the OP, surely he's from a country who believes in their brand of "superstition," aka "religion." So why would he mock Thailand superstition and not his own?  I would love to get an answer on that.       

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

Allow me to be philosophical for just one moment.  Who are we to believe?  I tend to believe doctors, scientists, engineers, chemists, reputable journalists, etc.  There are those out there who want to believe what their "tribe" believes and will embrace any conspiracy theory that supports their narrative.  That's what I was responding to.

Going back to the OP, surely he's from a country who believes in their brand of "superstition," aka "religion." So why would he mock Thailand superstition and not his own?  I would love to get an answer on that.       

I can give you my opinion, i cannot speak for other people.

I can take Gospel as Science to an extent, but i cannot take Science as Gospel, to an extent.

Science is not a Dogma.

3 minutes ago, amexpat said:

That's the beauty of science. It keeps looking for better answers and welcomes new information.

Religion and superstitions already have all the "knowledge" they will ever want.

I understand your point, just playing Devil's advocate for a moment.

It must be wonderfull to believe in God and Jesus etc and think that when you die you will go to heaven and meet your family again,i wonder if there are other people on one of the billions of planets in the galaxies that believe in God and know that his son was born to a virgin here on Earth?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

It must be wonderfull to believe in God and Jesus etc and think that when you die you will go to heaven and meet your family again,i wonder if there are other people on one of the billions of planets in the galaxies that believe in God and know that his son was born to a virgin here on Earth?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I will eat my hat the day some scientist can explain me the concept of infinite.

..Not in my lifetime, i guess :whistling:

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I will eat my hat the day some scientist can explain me the concept of infinite.

..Not in my lifetime, i guess :whistling:

Contemplating the universe, I can't really grasp the concept of infinite - or finite either.

I don't think that is due to any shortcoming by scientists, though. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, amexpat said:

Contemplating the universe, I can't really grasp the concept of infinite - or finite either.

I don't think that is due to any shortcoming by scientists, though. 

Ok, you can't and you don't,  fair enough.:coffee1:

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 8:59 PM, jesimps said:

Nonsense! Show me one superstition to ever be PROVEN to be fact. I've yet to see proof of gods, ghosts, ghoulies etc. If any of were true, someone would have been able to furnish proof by now.

the universe you live in exists. where is the proof it was begun? where is the proof it always existed? after 14 billion years, surely someone should have provided proofs by now