Excess Superstition

Maybole

On 10/3/2018 at 12:49 AM, mauGR1 said:

I will eat my hat the day some scientist can explain me the concept of infinite.

..Not in my lifetime, i guess :whistling:

he might explain it but perhaps youre not equipped to understand his explanation?

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 1:45 AM, bluesofa said:

Years ago I had arguments with Thais about ghosts.

I laughed at them and said if they could show me a ghost first-hand I'd give them 50,000 Baht.

Someone said I should go to a temple  grounds at night, and I would see one. When I laughed and asked them to take me to a suitable temple, another person chimed in: "You're a ferang, so you can't see the ghosts!"

Difficult to argue with that face-saving logic.

Another person said, "That's easy. Sit alone in a room at midnight, peeling an apple in front of a mirror. You will see one then."

The girl didn't talk to me for days after I laughed at her.

do you laugh at christians when they tell you about the resurrection?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:
On 10/3/2018 at 2:49 PM, mauGR1 said:

I will eat my hat the day some scientist can explain me the concept of infinite.

..Not in my lifetime, i guess :whistling:

he might explain it but perhaps youre not equipped to understand his explanation?

Yes, maybe, but i will try.

I think that in many circumstances they use superstition to manipulated us. They don't believe an iota of the absolute crap they are feeding us, but they hope the good Farang, out of respect for their fake beliefs, will let himself be steered in a direction that beneficial to them.

In the OP's case they probably got a lot of free beer.

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

I think that in many circumstances they use superstition to manipulated us. They don't believe an iota of the absolute crap they are feeding us, but they hope the good Farang, out of respect for their fake beliefs, will let himself be steered in a direction that beneficial to them.

In the OP's case they probably got a lot of free beer.

you think thais made up a belief system just to manipulate a few  has been foreigners?? lol

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

do you laugh at christians when they tell you about the resurrection?

And like Bluesofa I too think it is rubbish but I don't laugh at the resurrection mumbo jumbo,  I just pity you and your ilk for believing such garbage.   But what really cracks me up and it is always a good laugh is when those catholic idiots in the Philippines  volunteer for some masochist to nail them up on a wooden cross every year.  Stuff for BDSM forums that is ????

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

1. You dont diss anyones mother

2. You dont make fun of other peoples religion

"Mum?" "Yes dear, what is it?" 

"Well i've never ridden a horse and I'm a bit worried." "Why is that dear?"

"At the mosque this morning they said if you are a good Muslim you go to heaven on a winged horse." "Not to worry dear. Now eat up your sugar-puffs."

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2018 at 12:44 PM, unamazedloso said:

absolute insanity. my neighbours are alot like this. Not a brain between them and they think we're evil because we dont believe in bs.

Due to this we are outcasts. Its a good thing because I dont want in a crazy cult. Maybe they will start sacrificing people soon.

No prizes for guessing who will be top of the list !  lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sattar said:

Sometimes superstition helps us to get rid of unwanted moments in our lives. I am a superstitious person and I believe that you need to follow this or that advice.

You will be pleased to hear that Asia Bibi has just been found 'NOT GUILTY' in the appeal court.

Of course it didn't stop the religious (superstitious) nutters keeping her in solitary confinement for the best part of 10 years.

On 9/30/2018 at 1:19 PM, mauGR1 said:

suppose we talk about "feng shui", it's a real thing for so many people

If something is real, it's real whether people are there to believe it or not.  Suppose every person disappeared from the face of the Earth tomorrow.  Would feng shui still be a real thing?

On 9/30/2018 at 2:06 PM, mauGR1 said:

Feng Shui is still popular for rich people in rich countries like Japan among others

Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on you, but you've provided a lot of fertile ground for discussion.

That some belief is popular does not mean it's correct.  I hope you agree with that.  If our understanding of reality worked that way, all we'd need to do to label any idea as correct would be to get enough people to agree with it.

Western writers write and sell books about it.

Hmmm... believe something because somebody wrote a book about it?  There are tons of books on astrology, but many of them disagree with each other about how it works, and how to interpret the signs.  How do we ascertain which of these "western writers" is correct?  There's got to be a way.

Interesting stuff, not only for uneducated people.

Rich people ≠ uneducated people.

10 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on you, but you've provided a lot of fertile ground for discussion.

That some belief is popular does not mean it's correct.  I hope you agree with that.  If our understanding of reality worked that way, all we'd need to do to label any idea as correct would be to get enough people to agree with it.

I am happy to discuss everything, unfortunately i don't find it very appealing to discuss on a internet forum.

But i can tell you that, if thoughts are real, every thought is real, and it exists in some way.

If only physical matter is real for you, then , let's not waste more time.

5 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

But i can tell you that, if thoughts are real, every thought is real, and it exists in some way.

Thoughts are real but they are also subjective, like ideas and emotions.  Also, many thoughts are real but untrue.  If I think that, when I let go of this stone it will fall 'up' to the ceiling, my thought is real but it is clearly an error and I can discover this by simply experimenting with the stone.

Just because we have a real thought does not mean we have a correct, factual thought.

• Like 1