Senator's dramatic demand spurs Trump to order FBI Kavanaugh probe

rooster59

6 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

This all reminds me of why I left the US fifteen-years-ago, never to return even for a visit.

If you can't win an election or anything else, don't be a sore loser, destroy the winner with any means possible.  This will all backfire on the Democrats and expose them for what they are.

US men lost their cojones and will not fight for equal rights.  When a woman can destroy a man with an unsubstantiated complaint, and he is guilty until proven innocent, then there is a serious imbalance in equality.  I suggest the men start a Me3 Movement and begin arresting all the women who financially raped them in the past, including little Molly who scammed me out of my lunch money thirty-five years ago, which I can't prove.

You don't get it. The senate doesn't hold criminal trials. It's not a matter of beyond a reasonable doubt. It's a job interview and the applicant is clearly already a known liar. So what else is he lying about? Yes, I think he probably did what Ms. Ford charges. Not to the level of conviction but important enough to consider as one of the MANY reasons to reject him for SCOTUS. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

neither am I impressed by Brett's demeanour or performance.

It's not like Kavanaugh was Trump's only choice nor did Trump lack women candidates:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/whos-on-president-trumps-list-to-replace-justice-kennedy/2018/06/27/7010f67a-7a36-11e8-93cc-6d3beccdd7a3_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9ca541a45012

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The FBI are going to go after:

Kavanaugh’s ‘wingman’ Mark Judge (He’ll cut a deal against Kavanaugh but still do time himself).

Kavanaugh’s multiple counts of Purjury before The Senate, both for this appointment and for his previous appointment to the appellate court.

Kavanaugh’s perjured financial declaration to the Senate.

Kavanaugh’s ‘disappearing’ debts, where he managed to find the deposite for his house (at a time when he was in debt), where he found the $92,000 membership fee for his country club.

Tax and corruption charges relating to the above.

Kavanaugh’s gambling, alcohol and drug usage.

Kavanaugh’s (alleged) sex crimes.

His life as he knows it is over.

More to the point is how he will function as SC judge in case he gets confirmed.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd imagine, if he's confirmed, he and Clarence Thomas should get along very well together.

After all, they apparently have a lot in common!  :sleepy:

Kav is playing hard ball now. 

He clearly was afraid of the FBI looking into these specific accusations.

If he's shown "clean" after a week he will be confirmed and though stained he will carry on.

There are grey areas as well on what clean means.

Kav went hard core claiming he NEVER drank so much as to blackout.

So if there is strong evidence that he did, then that's a problem. That would be proof that he lied UNDER OATH.

If he fails to makes it through this "clean enough", his current job as a federal judge may be in jeopardy as well!

He could have played this differently which might have worked and not been as risky. He could have said, yes I was a heavy drinker in high school and college, yes I partied a lot, yes I went after girls while I was drunk, but I have no recollection of any incident as described by Ms. Ford. I was a wild and crazy kid, sorry, but look at me now! But that isn't the way that "trump" would have approved of. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Kav is playing hard ball now. 

He clearly was afraid of the FBI looking into these specific accusations.

If he's shown "clean" after a week he will be confirmed and though stained he will carry on.

If not, his current job as a federal judge may be in jeopardy as well!

I haven't been following this case in minute detail, as it's simply too disgusting to spend a lot of mental energy on.

But as one poster above mentioned, it seemed there were a variety of OTHER issues raised about Kavanaugh in the wake of his nomination -- credibility, drinking, gambling-financial, unlimited executive power, abortion rights, others -- apart from the Ford sexual assault (and now other similar) allegations.

And yet from what I can tell from casually reading the news, all the other issues pretty much seem to have disappeared or are getting ignored. And the only thing that people seem to be weighing at this point re his confirmation is whether the sexual assault allegations are credible. Except for most of the Republicans, of course, who simply don't care.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, but he was extra special because of his unusual views opposing special investigate counsels of presidents while they are in office. 

Obviously Trump had a personal criteria for Kavanaugh that outweighed judicial record.

• Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) McConnell did note that Hardiman and Kethledge could fare well in the Senate because their reputations and records were not as politically charged as others on the president’s short­list of nominees.
  • On the other hand, Trump has privately and repeatedly questioned whether Kavanaugh’s work for the Bush family — a family whose members have deeply criticized the president and are pillars of the Republican establishment — could tarnish his brand or pose a problem for his core supporters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/trump-weighs-top-picks-for-supreme-court-amid-last-minute-maneuvering/2018/07/08/4a65b1b8-82d3-11e8-8553-a3ce89036c78_story.html?utm_term=.53ce49999481

Kavanaugh lied to the senate judiciary committee when he said he was of legal drinking age as a senior in high school.  He said the drinking age was 18, but it was 21.  Why wouldn't he lie about assaulting a teenager and attempting to rape her.  He seemed unstable during his testimony and the kind of partisan judge everyone knows he is.

It would be better if you were correct in your example of him lying before you called him a liar. Another false partisan accusation.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But Flake, a moderate Republican who is retiring from the Senate in January, cast his vote only after asking the panel to request that the Trump administration pursue an FBI probe of the explosive allegations against Kavanaugh and delay a final Senate confirmation vote for up to a week to let the investigation run its course. Trump granted the request. 

It's a sad and sorry commentary on the state of today's Republican Party, taken over by Trump and his core of everything deniers, that the only time their lawmakers will do or say the obviously correct and proper things is when they've already decided not to run for re-election.  If they're planning to remain in Congress, you pretty much can forget any scruples or integrity.

I'm kinda curious just what went on with Flake. Did he suddenly have an attack of conscience after being confronted outside the Senate hearing room the other day by two women who said they were sexual assault victims? Or was there some behind the scenes maneuvering going on with some Democrats trying to get him to break ranks?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

An additional quote from your article. Seems you cherry picked or didn’t read past the gotcha headline.
"The drinking age was 18 in Maryland for most of my time in high school, and was 18 in D.C. for all of my time in high school," he said, adding, "I drank beer with my friends. Almost everyone did. Sometimes I had too many beers. Sometimes others did. I liked beer. I still like beer. But I did not drink beer to the point of blacking out, and I never sexually assaulted anyone."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

An additional quote from your article. Seems you cherry picked or didn’t read past the gotcha headline.
"The drinking age was 18 in Maryland for most of my time in high school, and was 18 in D.C. for all of my time in high school," he said, adding, "I drank beer with my friends. Almost everyone did. Sometimes I had too many beers. Sometimes others did. I liked beer. I still like beer. But I did not drink beer to the point of blacking out, and I never sexually assaulted anyone."

Fact check: the drinking age was changed to 21 when he was 17.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Captain_Bob said:

Watching Kavanaugh's forced hyper-emotional testimony I was quickly reminded of... 

https://youtu.be/yWkVa-_sd24 

abc_abc_swaggart_apology_100218_wg.jpg

Famous denial quotes:

Richard Nixon - I am not a crook.

Bill Clinton - I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

Clarence Thomas - It is a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves.

Brett Kavanaugh - I’m here today to tell the truth. I’ve never sexually assaulted anyone. Not in high school, not in college, not ever.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1