Use a blue pen!

Quite believable I'm afraid.

I had some photocopies rejected by SCB because I'd signed them in black, "looks too much like a photocopy, please use blue pen".

Blue pens are readily availalble even in the US.

• Like 1

Unbelievable what may be required by those with the power - remember in about 1985 being chastised by MSG (Marine Security Guard) at US Embassy in Beijing because I used a blue pen to sign in.  Indeed had to do again in black to make them happy.  Of course this was long before color copies so guess the tide has changed.  Now some seem to argue must be ballpoint pen rather than gel (as some gel can be easily removed) - who has a ballpoint pen these days?

• Like 1

Sod's Law in operation here. The UK passport renewal form specifically said use a black biro. Of course, I only had blue ones. So out I went, on a mission to secure a black one. Sod's Law meant that the Local 7/11 and CJ stores had no black biros, only blue ones. I eventually secured a multicolour red, blue, and black biro, a single example hidden at the back of a rack. Presumably the multicolour aspect had confused whichever of the Fates is running Sod's Law and it slipped through the net. 

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Unbelievable what may be required by those with the power - remember in about 1985 being chastised by MSG (Marine Security Guard) at US Embassy in Beijing because I used a blue pen to sign in.  Indeed had to do again in black to make them happy.  Of course this was long before color copies so guess the tide has changed.  Now some seem to argue must be ballpoint pen rather than gel (as some gel can be easily removed) - who has a ballpoint pen these days?

A ball point leaves an indentation in the paper so that whoever is reading/examining the signed document can see that it is 'wet' signature and not a copy.....as if it really matters. Do banks, here or in UK, employ cryptographers to verify signatures....no

Edited by wgdanson

When I was based in Hong Kong the Governor always used a green ink pen and nobody else was allowed to use green ink on official documentation.  In the UK Military its a red ink entry in your log book for combat missions, black for all others.  Specifying blue doesn't seem too weird to me.    

• Confused 2