JOIN SDFCU

I just joined State Department Federal Credit Union and I thought other Americans that are looking for a way to open a USA bank account may be interested in the process. 

1 OCT morning went to American Citizens Abroad and took out 1 year membership for $55(Senior price). Quickly approved. 

1 OCT morning went to SDFCU website and clicked the JOIN button. It took about 15 minutes giving them my personal info. They did have a section to check if you were member of ACA At the end thre was a place to click to upload documents but I didn't have any ready so I just clicked finish.

1OCT Evening I took pictures of docutments with mobile camera since I don't have a scanner. Poor quality and almost unreadable but I submitted copy of passport, picture of me holding passport, copy of SS stqtement with addtress and a copuy of bank statement with address. I was doubtful this would satisfy SDFCU because of poor quality and also since I have been out of the states for over 25 years and knew a credit bureau report would not exist.

5OCT morning I received email that I was approved and link to go to site. 

Overall, it was a very easy and painless process -. Now I just have to figure a way to get SSA to answer my 4 month old emails regarding changing my direct deposit.

Since SSA is so slow I suggest setting up SDFCU first so routing info will be on hand if SS EVER gets in contact you will be ready. And do not wait until the last minute if you think you may have problems with BKBKK NY come April 19.

• Thanks 1