Big Joke: Thai police team have been to England to interview woman who claims rape on Koh Tao

webfact

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

It means i'll never go to Kho Tao.

When did you cancel your bookings and tickets? It must have been a big sacrifice for you. I bet the business owners in KT are shaking in their boots as the whole edifices of multiple businesses comes crashing down. Or maybe their is a Thai phrase for 'ineffectual meaningless gesture'. 555

29 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Brilliant. My conscience is clean knowing I haven't added a single baht to the economy there, so I haven't in anyway advocated what goes on there. 

Your conscience shouldn't be clean. A boycott would put a lot of Myanmar people out of work 

31 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

And probably live in fear of being framed for a crime they didn't commit. I bet a few are worried right now that they may be stitched up for rape in the not so distant future. 

Well they set the wheels in motion already by sending the girl photos of random Burmese men, also a report saying police were taking DNA and photos of Burmese workers

12 minutes ago, The manic said:

When did you cancel your bookings and tickets? It must have been a big sacrifice for you. I bet the business owners in KT are shaking in their boots as the whole edifices of multiple businesses comes crashing down. Or maybe their is a Thai phrase for 'ineffectual meaningless gesture'. 555

I really don't think any businesses will crash down if they don't have my custom. Unfortunately for you, I won't be the only one not going. And a good business wants to make as much money as they can. That's harder to do when you have fewer customers. Every little helps. 

12 minutes ago, bannork said:

Your conscience shouldn't be clean. A boycott would put a lot of Myanmar people out of work 

Are you saying the deaths ,rapes, police non investigations, scapegoats, cover ups etc does not ruin the islands reputation its the nasty ST and people calling for a boycott lol

Many of these Burmese are forced to stay and work, threatened , beat etc...

lots would love to go home like the cleaner that they killed and lied about

13 minutes ago, bannork said:

I don't owe anyone a living. Nobody does. Any decent worker (Thai, Burmese, etc) on Kho Tao island would be an unfortunate casualty of some corrupt and inept leadership going on there. No one in good conscience has anything to feel bad about by actively not visiting that place. 

3 minutes ago, jimmynewbie said:

Are you saying the deaths ,rapes, police non investigations, scapegoats, cover ups etc does not ruin the islands reputation its the nasty ST and people calling for a boycott lol

Many of these Burmese are forced to stay and work, threatened , beat etc...

lots would love to go home like the cleaner that they killed and lied about

Are you seriously saying the Myanmar workers on Koh Tao are prisoners or slaves?

1 hour ago, jimmynewbie said:

Yes Prawit decided the outcome of the investigation long before 'Big joke' spoke

He really was upset about being caught out by CSI LA re his watches and think that is the main reason he went after them  

Its also the  3rd or 4th time they have put out warrants for the ST when nothing can be done , extraditions will never happen as they found out in the past (that's if they even tried which i doubt)   the UK or any country for that matter would not recognise stupid 'spreading fake news' charges especially now they are spreading the same news daily.

Makes you wonder how anybody here could defend this nonsense

Naturally there is no crime listed in the 1909 Anglo-Siam extradition treaty that is equivalent to the Computer Crimes Act. If an offence is not listed in the treaty, extradition could still be ordered by an English court, at the discretion of the British government, provided that the unlisted offence is also a criminal offence under English statutory law and the UK is under no obligation to extradite its own citizens, even for qualifying offences.  So basically there are no grounds to even file an extradition request with the UK.  The 1992 US-Thai extradition treaty doesn't specify a list of offences but says the offence has to be an offence in the requested nation punishable by more than one year in prison, which is definitely not the case for the charges against CSI LA.  Furthermore the US is also not obligated to extradite its own nationals, even if the offence qualifies.  I am sure CSI LA is already a naturalised US citizen, since he is established in LA for many years with a business and a family there. 

I guess that the ST lady took a decision not to return to the Thailand when she returned to the UK but the charges must be more of an issue for CSI LA, who presumably has family and friends in Thailand that he might want to visit.

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I don't owe anyone a living. Nobody does. Any decent worker (Thai, Burmese, etc) on Kho Tao island would be an unfortunate casualty of some corrupt and inept leadership going on there. No one in good conscience has anything to feel bad about by actively not visiting that place. 

Yes but you proposed a boycott which would have a catastrophic effect on the Myanmar workers' lives Of course your conscience would be clean and you would feel right on but, to quote a homely, the road to hell is paved with good intentions

6 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Naturally there is no crime listed in the 1909 Anglo-Siam extradition treaty that is equivalent to the Computer Crimes Act. If an offence is not listed in the treaty, extradition could still be ordered by an English court, at the discretion of the British government, provided that the unlisted offence is also a criminal offence under English statutory law and the UK is under no obligation to extradite its own citizens, even for qualifying offences.  So basically there are no grounds to even file an extradition request with the UK.  The 1992 US-Thai extradition treaty doesn't specify a list of offences but says the offence has to be an offence in the requested nation punishable by more than one year in prison, which is definitely not the case for the charges against CSI LA.  Furthermore the US is also not obligated to extradite its own nationals, even if the offence qualifies.  I am sure CSI LA is already a naturalised US citizen, since he is established in LA for many years with a business and a family there. 

I guess that the ST lady took a decision not to return to the Thailand when she returned to the UK but the charges must be more of an issue for CSI LA, who presumably has family and friends in Thailand that he might want to visit.

yes he is a US citizen and has a great job, i believe his family visit him there

Its all a show for the ultra nationalist thais

1 minute ago, bannork said:

Yes but you proposed a boycott which would have a catastrophic effect on the Myanmar workers' lives Of course your conscience would be clean and you would feel right on but, to quote a homely, the road to hell is paved with good intentions

You’ve obviously overestimated my influence if you think I could orchestrate a boycott that would have catastrophic effects on Myanmar workers. Myanmar workers here already have very few rights and often move from job to job. Losing work on Kho Tao would just mean them moving onto somewhere else. Preferably to an area where the people in charge have at least a few morals. 

Bad things happen when good people do nothing. 

11 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

You’ve obviously overestimated my influence if you think I could orchestrate a boycott that would have catastrophic effects on Myanmar workers. Myanmar workers here already have very few rights and often move from job to job. Losing work on Kho Tao would just mean them moving onto somewhere else. Preferably to an area where the people in charge have at least a few morals. 

Bad things happen when good people do nothing. 

Ah, so never mind they may have settled down there, bringing family members over  Just move on workers, apparently you're used to moving from job to job. 

48 minutes ago, bannork said:

Nobody is boycotting the place. Its nonesense.  

17 minutes ago, bannork said:

Ah, so never mind they may have settled down there, bringing family members over  Just move on workers, apparently you're used to moving from job to job. 

Again, I’m not responsible for their lives or livelihoods. I’m not moving anyone anywhere. It’s not as if I’m going to Kho Tao and firing people and ripping apart families. 

If myself, and others like me, choose not to visit a place because of how the authorities in that place conduct themselves, it’s the authorities there who need to have a rethink and change ‘their’ ways. If they choose not to, and people suffer because of it, it’s 100% the fault of the people in charge. 

47 minutes ago, bannork said:

Knowingly harming innocent people in order to fight a conspiracy theory is hardly a noble thing to do, I'd say.

2 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

Hummm..not very consistent are you..a few post back you said youd never go back again..

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes. I went there for two days in 2005. Before we had social media and information was so accessible. 

So, yes, “I’ll never go there again”. Well done. 

5 hours ago, jimmynewbie said:

Well they set the wheels in motion already by sending the girl photos of random Burmese men, also a report saying police were taking DNA and photos of Burmese workers

if you're referring to a couple of weeks ago the photos were regarding work permits and registering staff...DNA..not sure thats entirely true...but guess its more sensational that just plain old boring work permits!

On 10/10/2018 at 3:26 PM, rkidlad said:

Yes. I went there for two days in 2005. Before we had social media and information was so accessible. 

So, yes, “I’ll never go there again”. Well done. 

and in your earlier post self righteously proclaiming "My conscience is clean knowing I haven't added a single baht to the economy there, so I haven't in anyway advocated what goes on there"......

So what did you do for the 2 days that you spent there? sleep on the beach and eat sand crabs?

One can certainly smell the countryside when you are posting!

16 minutes ago, Shadychris said:

and in your earlier post self righteously proclaiming "My conscience is clean knowing I haven't added a single baht to the economy there, so I haven't in anyway advocated what goes on there"......

So what did you do for the 2 days that you spent there? sleep on the beach and eat sand crabs?

One can certainly smell the countryside when you are posting!

Thanks, ‘shady’ Chris. 

Yes, I went there in 2005. Well before I knew anything about the place. 

Here’s a simple analogy for you, “There’s a difference between losing 10 dollars and spending 10 dollars” 

It amazes me how many 'non islanders' write so vociferously about boycotting Koh Tao.

There is no evidence that their conspiracy theories are correct. That is all they are. Conspiracy theories.

Post #4 identifies 7 examples of deaths on Koh Tao but only one has any evidence pointing to murder. The rest are unexplained.

Yes, there are questions about the professionalism (or lack of) and the undertaking of investigations into some deaths on Koh Tao, but writing numerous posts telling people to boycott Koh Tao is not going to address the issue.

Suddenly, every farang death is a travesty of justice and another maniacal scream for 'Boycott Koh Tao'. Do people who post here really believe that there are no accidental deaths or death by natural causes?

How about a twitter campaign #BKT? Come on ?? You know that you hate the place.

Far more farangs die on Koh Samui and Koh Phangan every month but nothing is said.

I have been to Koh Tao about three times over the last 20 years (and I live on the islands). I am not very impressed with it and probably will not go again but I would not stand on a box and keep shouting "Boycott Koh Tao". Some (many?) people love the place.

From my experience there is a lawless element of Thais on the island that create situations in many different ways.

Im not dissing all Thais as I haven’t felt this wherever else in Thailand I’ve been.  The usual in Thailand is if you behave you have no serious problems, not on KT.

21 hours ago, cass74 said:

From my experience there is a lawless element of Thais on the island that create situations in many different ways.

Im not dissing all Thais as I haven’t felt this wherever else in Thailand I’ve been.  The usual in Thailand is if you behave you have no serious problems, not on KT.

so what is your experience of the lawless element of the island?

8 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

so what is your experience of the lawless element of the island?

Do you mean apart from corruption, lies, deaths, drugs, drunk long tail boat drivers, koh tao primary school telling volunteers online do not need work permit, main suspect of double murder stamping all over crime scene, fishing on coral, threats, rapes, fights, taxi mafia, beating of burmese, scapegoating, tons and tons of garbage , big brown envelopes, arresting random thais for sharing on FB , moto scam...... the list goes on  

14 minutes ago, jimmynewbie said:

Do you mean apart from corruption, lies, deaths, drugs, drunk long tail boat drivers, koh tao primary school telling volunteers online do not need work permit, main suspect of double murder stamping all over crime scene, fishing on coral, threats, rapes, fights, taxi mafia, beating of burmese, scapegoating, tons and tons of garbage , big brown envelopes, arresting random thais for sharing on FB , moto scam...... the list goes on  

yawn! you've certainly never been to Tao have you.

Archived